PDA

View Full Version : Best Mods For Setting Up A 400ex For The Dunes

xr50kid
02-29-2004, 07:30 PM
What are some mods i can do to set up my 400ex better for the sand. Note i have a stock engine and rear paddles with nerf bars and i'm not looking to send alot of money.

RH1N08d9
02-29-2004, 09:02 PM
exhaust with good top end power, cam, and that stuff, front paddles, uhh, that's all I can think of!

roostin_dale
02-29-2004, 09:19 PM
aftermarket air filter...keep the dirty sand out of the engine....

RH1N08d9
03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
xr50kid, you goin to little sahara over spring break? I'm goin this weekend, if my dads quad is runnin!

xr50kid
03-02-2004, 08:16 PM
ya i'm going not this 10-14 of march if your going to be there maybe we can hook up.

RH1N08d9
03-02-2004, 08:30 PM
oh, we'll be down this weekend (5th-7th) so I guess not! you live in KS, don't you? if you do, where? I'm in stilwell, south of overland park!

Ehsan
03-02-2004, 09:30 PM
hey I live in stilwell too. my name is ehsan avazpour 22yo 183 mission how bout you?
do you ride in town at all if so lets go ridin
I hope to get to the dunes some time in march if I can find some people to go with

Blue 400ex 10.5.1 wiseco piston
ac nerfs houser+2 A-arms
durablue+4 axle

2000TRX400EX
03-09-2004, 09:11 PM
I added all the high dollar stuff the first time I went to the dunes and they helped but the one most important thing you can do to your ex is change the front sprocket size by 1 tooth. Go down to a 14 tooth front sprocket that is one tooth smaller than stock. Of all the mods I made to my ex that was the one that helped the most especially if you are going to do any climbing. I ride the St Anthony dunes and with the sprocket I could climb thunder mountain but still couldn't climb choke cherry.

montyjcm
03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
I have seen a video of a ex climbing chokecherry. I guess it had to have mods.:rolleyes:

PHIL_B54
03-10-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by 2000TRX400EX
the one most important thing you can do to your ex is change the front sprocket size by 1 tooth. Go down to a 14 tooth front sprocket that is one tooth smaller than stock

as i have said before, the 14 tooth is not for everyone. for as little as they cost, everyone should try it. i had the 14 tooth on with my Gecko's and i couldnt go anywhere. all i could do is spin. i was starting to think that the dunes really sucked, but i tried the stock one, and that was the ticket. i didnt have my 16, at the time, but i would have evn tried it, just to see what happened.

MaverickAZ
03-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, there are two types of duning...

Theres the right way which is RIDING the dunes, I.E. jumps, whoops, blasting around bowls, etc. For this you are goign to want a twist throttle, a set of renthal handlebars, an EZ pull clutch and a PEP steering stabilizer at bare minimum. You also need Skat Trak Haulers in the rear and Razors up front. Dont buy any other brand for rear tires.

The 400EX is, in my opinion, the ultimate dune bike with proper suspension mods. My bike was stock other than exhaust and suspension mods and it outran Banshees, 250R's even Craptors. The trick to making the 400Ex fly through the dunes isnt in the motor department, its in the suspension. Of course, suspension mods arent cheap so buy a stabilizer, a twist throttle and a full set of paddles and hope for the best.

On the other side of the pancake, if you want to drive up and down a hill all day, I cant help you. 400EX's are not hillshooters and I say "for shame" to anyone with an extended swingarm on their thumper! Besides, driving up a hill all day is as exciting as lawn bowling, why do that when the dunes are ready to be ridden?

Have fun!:devil:

rhandw69
03-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Well I partly agree with Maverick on here. True a 400EX to me is the best all around quad for duning. Im primarily a hill shooter, so just put on my +4 swingarm made by Sandragon. What i like about it more than anything is how nice i can fly through the woops and all. The way ive built this bike though, i made it to be a quick rever, and basically give it a two stroke feel. Suspension is key to getting the power to the ground. I tend to venture down into some pretty nasty tree shots when in the dunes so therefore the +4 swingarm is a plus. I havent felt any loss of control with it however. This past weekend set up I ran the 22x11X10 inch haulers. Very nice results.

ledofthezep
03-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Theres the right way which is RIDING the dunes, I.E. jumps, whoops, blasting around bowls, etc. For this you are goign to want a twist throttle, a set of renthal handlebars, an EZ pull clutch and a PEP steering stabilizer at bare minimum. You also need Skat Trak Haulers in the rear and Razors up front. Dont buy any other brand for rear tires.
WTF!?:eek2: :huh Can't say I even remotely agree.:confused:

My bike was stock other than exhaust and suspension mods and it outran Banshees
Those banshees must have been stock or with a rider who has no clue how to ride.:rolleyes:

Bad Habit
03-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by MaverickAZ
.......you are goign to want a twist throttle, a set of renthal handlebars, an EZ pull clutch and a PEP steering stabilizer at bare minimum. You also need Skat Trak Haulers in the rear and Razors up front. Dont buy any other brand for rear tires.

......My bike was stock other than exhaust and suspension mods and it outran Banshees, 250R's even Craptors. The trick to making the 400Ex fly through the dunes isnt in the motor department, its in the suspension. Of course, suspension mods arent cheap so buy a stabilizer, a twist throttle and a full set of paddles and hope for the best.........

Whoa, ease up there Maverick. I hope you're just doing the pounding on your chest thing to get a rise out of everyone.
If not;

1) Putting a less than experienced rider on a quad with a twist throttle is asking for someone to get hurt. I wouldn't just put out a blanket statement to all that they need to get a twist for the dunes.

2) There are many other suitable tires out there other than the Haulers. I run Haulers, but they wouldn't be my first choice necessarily on a stock 400.

3) Banshees, 250R's and Craptors have all tasted your roost? Since you've stated that you don't hill shoot, I'm assuming that you outran these bikes carving bowls???? How do you race doing that? Or is it a judged competition where you get style points?

I'm glad that you're a staunch backer of the 400EX, as I am as well, but throttle back just a tad when explaining your position and people will be more likely to hear what you have to say.

Later
Dan

MaverickAZ
03-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by ledofthezep
WTF!?:eek2: :huh Can't say I even remotely agree.:confused:

Those banshees must have been stock or with a rider who has no clue how to ride.:rolleyes:

The banshee had quite a bit of motor work done, but nothing in the suspension department, hence its lack of handling. I dont care if you agree with me or not, thats your opinion.

MaverickAZ
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
Whoa, ease up there Maverick. I hope you're just doing the pounding on your chest thing to get a rise out of everyone.
If not;

1) Putting a less than experienced rider on a quad with a twist throttle is asking for someone to get hurt. I wouldn't just put out a blanket statement to all that they need to get a twist for the dunes.

2) There are many other suitable tires out there other than the Haulers. I run Haulers, but they wouldn't be my first choice necessarily on a stock 400.

3) Banshees, 250R's and Craptors have all tasted your roost? Since you've stated that you don't hill shoot, I'm assuming that you outran these bikes carving bowls???? How do you race doing that? Or is it a judged competition where you get style points?

I'm glad that you're a staunch backer of the 400EX, as I am as well, but throttle back just a tad when explaining your position and people will be more likely to hear what you have to say.

Later
Dan

I stated my opinion based on my experiences. I feel no need to sugarcoat it. Its not my job to make sure every rider is experienced enough before putting the twist throttle on. I wasnt exactly experienced when I put mine on, and even had to take mine off my 250R because it was quite difficult to keep it under control.

I used regular old Haulers on the EX and Taller Haulers on my 250R. I had some GBC's and I was less than impressed with them. They were quite heavy, which didnt help an already heavy bike.

When we raced we just found a bowl and played follow the leader, after a while jumps and witches eyes created new leaders.

I knew Id get flack from a few people after posting that, but thats part of the game I suppose. :)