PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of your HRC kits so far?

hunda400ex
02-29-2004, 07:07 PM
What do you think?

Guy400
02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I can't speak from personal experience but IMO they're not really worth the money. I'd rather put that money towards a Sparks cam and pipe and make even better power. The HRC kit is a nice hop-up if you're looking for a little more zip than stock and you're on a budget.

schmitthead
02-29-2004, 08:30 PM
i agree

2004TRX450R
03-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I can't speak from personal experience but ......

OK is it just me or does that phrase in itself tell me not to listen to this opinion? Not trying to flame just how can you say it is no good when you haven't even ridden a bike with one? I for one do have one and it did make a big difference. I would do it again in a second. It is a factory part wich is generally going to be set up right as the factory is who made the bike in the first place and they know how to make it make power. From what I recall seeing the Sparks cam is just over $200. The HRC kit comes with the proper jet and jet needle and a few other little things that are nice touches that are obviously designed to work with the engine at a higher hp level that you won't get with the Sparks or any other aftermarket kit. Stuff like the little breather line fitting that is larger that you get. It may not be anything major but if Honda includes it in the kit it must serve a function on the engine to make it work better and more reliably at a higher power level. Everyone keeps getting hung up on the exhaust end cap and thinking just because they are going to put an aftermarket exhaust system on that the HRC kit will be just thrown away anyway. There is a lot more to it than just that end cap. I plan on gettin a full Duncan system and would still get the HRC kit knowing that I won't be useing the other end cap for long. So anyway to sum it up I'd say it is the best most reliable hop up kit out there weather you are just going to use the cam and a couple of other parts and not use the exhaust end cap or you use the entire kit.

Hammer trx450r
03-01-2004, 04:05 AM
im another with experience and i would do it again. If you can do a good pipe, aftermarket cam, air lid and jets it'll probably get the same results. I had to stiffen my shocks to handle it, way too soft.

Guy400
03-01-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
OK is it just me or does that phrase in itself tell me not to listen to this opinion? Not trying to flame just how can you say it is no good when you haven't even ridden a bike with one? I for one do have one and it did make a big difference.Does slamming your finger in a car door hurt or do you have to do it to know? Plus, show me where I said it's no good? I said it's a nice kit if you're looking for more zip than stock and you're on a budget. A Sparks cam and pipe will make more power than the HRC kit, those are the facts. Now, it's going to cost more but that's why I said you could take the money from the HRC kit and put it towards the Sparks (or any aftermarket tuner) stuff. If you installed an HRC kit and are happy with that's great. If it were my money I'd go a different route. The originator of this thread asked what people thought of the HRC kit and I gave my opinion. I apologize that my opinion isn't agreeable to yours.

bigz-71
03-01-2004, 09:04 AM
i like it!

sjw1176
03-01-2004, 09:24 AM
i have had it installed in mine since the 2nd week, i would buy it again. big difference and its factory direct..

Blown 331
03-01-2004, 09:24 AM
I have it and I think it's totally worth it. Yeah a lot of people say you can spend that money better some where else. But you can get the kit cheap and it makes a noticable difference so who cares. I'm going to change my exhaust so I won't be using the exhaust cap either. You can get them for like $280 on E-bay.
If you buy other parts seperate what are you going to save like $50, big deal. I say buy it.

quadrcr161
03-01-2004, 09:47 AM
i have everything but my cam installed and i pulled 2nd off the gate the other day with modded yfz's. i could have had the hole shot if it didnt cary to the side off the line and if i had ever launched it before. once i get the cam in and a feel of how the quad launches i will be pulling every hole shot likei did on my 250r. i dont think thats bad at all. plus with all the talk about them enforcing the sound regulations im going to wait on a full system. i dont want to spend that much on an exhaust and not be able to run it.

2004TRX450R
03-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Plus, show me where I said it's no good? .... A Sparks cam and pipe will make more power than the HRC kit, those are the facts. .... If it were my money I'd go a different route. The originator of this thread asked what people thought of the HRC kit and I gave my opinion. I

Show me where I said you said it is no good.
Do you have any actual dyno numbers or a graph that I could see that shows the Sparks cam and pipe makes more power? It really isn't fair to compare it to a bike that is more highly modifed with a cam and pipe. It would be more fairly matched with a bike with a Sparks cam with the end cap removed or modified and the air box lid taken off. Put a full system on an HRC kited 450R and see what the comparasin is. That would be matching apples to apples.

If it were your money go a different route. That is your right.

Yes the originator of the thead asked what people thought of the HRC kit and you gave an opinion that is based on nothing but that you like Sparks. If I for one ask a question about something I want people that actually HAVE experience with what I'm asking about to answer so that I get an educated answer of the facts not just someone's opinion that has no factual basis. Like I said in my original post I wasn't trying to flame you personally just pointing out that you are talking of something you have no personal experience with and have no factual basis for.

By the way look at all the rest of the replys here from people that actually have one.

Hammer trx450r
03-01-2004, 01:07 PM
It acually asks "What do you think of YOUR hrc kits so far?" For people who have them w/kit. Start your own thread with your opinion on sparks.

Guy400
03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Show me where I said you said it is no good.

Not trying to flame just how can you say it is no good when you haven't even ridden a bike with one?

Look, I'm not trying to argue with anyone about the HRC kit. If you feel it was worth your $300 than great, I'm sure there are some nice gains with it. I'm just saying that for my money I'd go with an aftermarket cam (or even the HRC cam by itself) and an aftermarket full exhaust. I know a top pro rider personally that races a TRX450R and lives in NE Ohio (hint, hint). He does not run an HRC kit and if it was the penultimate horsepower maker than I'm sure he'd have it.

This is also not a commercial for Sparks. I've never owned a Sparks product on any quad I've had in my garage but their name was the first one to come to mind when I originally replied. I'm not going to argue about this anymore. If I called your kid ugly than I apologize.