PDA

View Full Version : Best sand tires for dragging 450R ????

2manycrashes
02-29-2004, 09:25 AM
As previously mentioned in one of my posts, I used to own a 400EX. So I've only done a few drags in the sand. Well this weekend at Lil Sahara, I got to try my 450R out in the sand. Overall, I was very pleased. However, I really didn't feel like I was getting very good wheel hookup in the sand from a dead start. Once I was rolling the tires did ok, I am running sand sharks 20x11 -10 . I tried dropping the tires to 2lbs pressure and it helped some. I'm pretty sure that I am going to need some flat paddle tires.

What tires, tire size and rim size will be the best for drags? I will keep the sand sharks for trails, so I am covered there. I saw lots of different flat paddle types this weekend. People were using tires anywhere from 8-10 paddles per tire depending on the wheel size.

Please look at my mods as well, I believe they will influence the type of tire that I can run as well. I was only getting beat by a few quad lengths in 100 yards, but that was all in the first 15 yards of the race. I never could get the holeshot, but I could close the gap and pass most quads in 100 yards. I would start to close the gap on the piped YFZs, but ran out of room. I really need help getting off the line. I think it would be a dead even finish with the piped YFZs if I could get off the line quicker.

Thanks In Advance.......

2004TRX450R
02-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Well on my 250R my Skate IIs seemd to work a lot better than the Haulers. So I just got me a set of Sand Stars wich look to have a little taller paddle on them than the skats plus they have another little paddle on one side. When I had it down at Florence and Winchester bay a couple weeks ago they hooked up very well. I was very plased with them. The sand was kinda wet too so I will have to see what they do once it dries out but I suspect they will be very similar to the Skate IIs that I liked so much. Next time I make it to the dunes I'm hopeing to bring both my Stars and Haulers and see wich one works better.

honda350r
02-29-2004, 11:11 AM
The best afordable combo is the skat-trak 21-12-8 w/8 haulers paddles ! If you run anything with a 10" rim you will lose to the 8"rim!

Sand Skates are a great dune tire not a drag tire !! Also anything with a molded paddle sux for drags !

2manycrashes
03-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Based upon the responses from several forums, I've decided to go with the extreme haulers. I talked with skat-trak and here are the recommendations they made.

For Drags and dune riding.

Stock 450R- 20x10x10 with 8 paddle extreme haulers

With my mods and gearing - 20x10x10 with 9 paddle extreme haulers

The extremes are the same height as the haulers, but are an 1/8th " thicker all around than the haulers.

They also said that a 9 paddle hauler would get roughly the same traction as an 8 paddle extreme.

I hope the 9 paddle extremes aren't to much traction, but I think it will be ok.

Thanks....

:D

benwa450r
03-01-2004, 01:50 PM
I agree totally with Honda350R. Skat-track Extreme Haulers
21-12-8 are the only way to go. For straight line racing, they are the way to go. They are more expensive, but if not, you'll get passed by someone with same bike setup that has them. Air pressure varies with looseness of sand. Run more air pressure if sand is packed or damp ( 6-7 psi ) in morning, and less air pressure when sand gets loose ( 4-5 psi ) in afternoon. Use the least air pressure you can while still able to launch hard without wheelieing.