PDA

View Full Version : any secrets. to takeoff?

r450rr
02-28-2004, 07:59 PM
does anyone have any secrets yet to a good holeshot.. cause I got my R last sat.. and i could floor my ex and never worry, but where my 450R is geared so high.. really i was just wanting other peoples opinion on a good take off.i havent really tried it alot yet ,just wanting to know if anyone knows any secrets for black top and dirt.. thanks

coty

schmitthead
02-28-2004, 08:44 PM
I got this from doug gust's website. hope it helps

release the clutch a hare slower, don't just "drop it" if that's what's happening.
Then, there's your position on the quad: When your taking off, scoot your rear a few inches farther forward than usual. You're right in thinking that there's a balance between floating front wheels and slipping rear wheels. Moving your rear forward and slipping the clutch a little more will help. In a car, you'd call it "riding the clutch", which you might think would burn-up the clutch in time... and you're right. But that's why the plates are cheap and meant to be replaced as they wear out. To get the feel of this clutch action, start in second gear during some practices which will force you to slip it or stall.
Your body position should not stay in the same place during the acceleration either: Imagine that you're in a drag race... At the very start, your body will be scooted forward and your weigh will need to be somewhere over the gas tank area. The first couple of gears will need your "slipping clutch" action. Then, as you get to 3rd gear, you can reduce the amount of clutch slipping and start shifting your weight farther back. By the time you hit fifth gear, you can pretty much just drop the clutch and move your weight way back over the rear wheels. Get the picture?
If your wheels come up a little on every shift, this indicates that you are maximizing your rear-wheel traction. This is a good thing, unless you need to steer...
No matter how good a racer is, all of them need to spend the last 20 minutes of every training session practicing take-offs. So, before you park it in the garage after a ride, spend some time in some loose dirt practicing.

Tip: Don't get an aftermarket rear shock until you decide on the swingarm. The shock setup for the stock swingarm is radically different from what it needs to be for a +2 swingarm, especially if you get the linkage. We hate to see you have to buy something twice.

r450rr
02-29-2004, 11:14 AM
thanks

redrider410
02-29-2004, 07:53 PM
OK i have a question. What i know is that my friends Yfz loves to dump a whole lot of roost, everywhere! This isnt fun if you are riding behind, but does the Trx 450 have enough power so that the wheels are spinning when u are hard on the throttle. I am asking this because if this is the case i think it would be wiser to let the clutch off slower instead of dumping it.

schmitthead
02-29-2004, 08:29 PM
i think rossting my buddies is fun!!!! but yes your right, if you dump the clutch there is gonna be some roost.

Oh, dont let the yfz get in front of you. you should be roosting him.

ride hard

r450rr
02-29-2004, 10:43 PM
yea true, he shouldnt be infront of you, the reason i started this thread is because i was going today to drag my 450R for the first time, thanks for the tips guys it really worked.

I will say i got beat by a yfz 450, but it had a 13:1 piston,jets,cam,airfilter,airbox lid off, and kenda klaws. and me and my stock POS 450R was right behind him all the way. I stayed there for about 4 hours. i raced id say about 30 times. everything from ds650's to raptors. predators, and even 400ex's.. (everyone wanted a piece of the R) I had no problem with them. only problem was that modded yfz,, i will admit it would fly, it was 900ft drags. and he beat me evertime by about 2 or 3 quad lenths(depending). we switch and the same outcome. but he also said that MY POS, 450R Trailbike :blah: , he new for a fact it was faster than his yfz 450 stock, and he said it will be scary with a higher compression piston,jets, airfilter, and exhaust. he wants one now.

thanks
coty