PDA

View Full Version : Proper starting procedure?

swampfoxsc
02-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Yes, I've already done a search and I wasn't able to find the exact info I'm looking for. Try searching for start, starter ,kick starter, starting, etc and you'll see what I'm talking about! LOL!

Anyway, I got a 450R last Saturday and I'm racing in my first race ever at the GNCC in GA next week. I've tried practicing my starts but I'm unsure as to the exact kick starting procedure for best results. Should I slowly kick through until it reaches the compression stroke and kick it then or kick it on the easier stroke? I'd like to start it sitting down as reliably and easily as possible.

I've pressed a button all my life to start utility atv's and my 400EX so this is totally new to me.:huh

joe1l
02-28-2004, 05:20 PM
If the bike is already warmed up, the fastest way to start it is, just stand up, and from the top give it one good solid kick straight through, dont give it a halp kick. You can start it by going past the compression..etc, but it has a compression release and it is so light, that it really isn't necessary. OH yeah, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE! and you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure your idle isn't too low, so that it doesn't start and then turn back off on you. Other than that you'll be fine.

swampfoxsc
02-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Will it start more reliably if I kick it on the compression stroke or does that matter at all?

alias
02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
I'd say get it nice and warm and while using the hot start lever give it 1 good kick from the top with the intention of starting it with that first kick. Worst case you need another kick and its running.

After the kickstart is up I usually give it gas as I let off the hot start just to make sure it doesn't want to die.

swampfoxsc
02-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Let me rephrase my question. Is there a spot in the engine's cycle that will more reliably start the engine than others. What I mean is there a difference in the exhaust stroke, compression strpke, etc?

After warming up the engine prior to the start of the race should I just not worry and kick it from where it stops or should I do like the manual says and kick through until it gets hard and give it full kick from there?

I'm having nightmares about this since it'll be my first race. I need all the help I can get!:huh

250rtone
02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Man... a button with START on it would be nice eh.:D

2004TRX450R
02-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Just kick it through from where it stops. I never try to find the compression then kick it even when cold. I always just kick it through. On these you don't need to. On the YZs it is very necessary though.

swampfoxsc
03-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Man... a button with START on it would be nice eh.

Yes it would, but that sticker that says Honda is enough for me!:D

250rtone
03-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes my friend, that is true. I know i enjoy my 4 fiddy kick start and all.:devil: