PDA

View Full Version : web 479 cam

onebad450r
02-28-2004, 03:07 PM
I am putting my buddies 440ex back together....He wanted to change the cam, Web 450/451 to the Web 479 grind. He got the new hard weld rockers and the spring kit but did not get the shortened valve giudes. The question I am wondering, Are they really necessary... I know they recomend them but his guides are really good and kinda hate to waist the money for the shorter ones. The only thing that I can think of is the retainer to guide clearance and I checked that with a check spring and dail indicator and came up with .474" before hitting....When you do the math .474"- (the lift of the cam) .378"= .096" clearance. That seems to me to be enough clearance? Can anybody shed some light on the subject of why he needs to buy the shorter guides or if I have enough clearance?....Maybe I could mill a couple thousands off the original guides if needed, keep enough to hold the seal in place. Any help would be appreciated

cletusEX
02-28-2004, 03:26 PM
I ordered that cam for one of my buddies bikes and Web-cam was pretty adamant about him having the shortened valve guides. I'm sure if you talked to them they could give you a good reason as to why you have to run them.

Dunlap
02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
You don't need them.

onebad450r
02-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks Mickey, I figured that it was another scheme to get money out of people