PDA

View Full Version : Riding Octillo Wells, Ca - anyone??

flipflop44
03-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Just wondering if any of you Southern California folks ride at Ocitillo Wells? Just wondering what it's like out there? Is there much sand and or dunes? What is the terrain like?

We ride El Mirage and Stoddard Valley alot and are looking for new places within 100 to 150 miles of Riverside to ride. Glamis is too crazy and crowded most of the time (and too far for a day trip).

Thanks

tj's400ex
03-04-2002, 01:19 PM
I ride at the Oc alot. There is a little sand but it's mostly hard pack. You will want to run your knobies. Lots of graded roads and washes with in the park. There are also quad trails. Some easy, some hard and some are full of whoops. This place is big and well worth the trip, you might want to make a weekend get a way. Like I said it big and most people can't ride it all in a day. I've never been to stoddard but my brother-in-law told me it's way more rocky campaired to Oc? Some of the views at Oc are the best you have ever seen. I recomend a non holiday weekend for dust reasons. Don't know if your into sight seeing but there are lots of different natural wonders there too. You can get a map at the ranger station and see things like the Pumpkin patch and gas dome. This place has been the best kept secert in the past. Like you lots of people are giving up glamis and finding out about Oc. Let me know if you have any questions.

flipflop44
03-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the info on Ocitillo, T.J.

It sounds very interesting. A little disappointed that there isn't more sand, but those washes can be lot's of fun!

As far as sight seeing, we like to enjoy the scenery and explore as well as have fun riding. So that sounds great!

Yes, Stoddard Valley is pretty rocky, but has a nice variety of terrain, sagebrush, hills, etc. - Well worth the trip.

Thanks again.

03-04-2002, 10:13 PM
I've got a "points of interest" list on my GPS if you are interested, such as pumpkin patch, gas domes, blow sand hill, etc. I dunno if you use GPS, but its a great way to get around out there. Anyhows, PM me if yer interested.

Lorduss
03-05-2002, 12:06 PM
me and my dad went to Octillo Wells for the first time on saturday, awesome place, i cruised around the 2 dune hills i could find, fun trails, ocassion jump here and there, nice place, were going back again this weekend some time,

tj's400ex
03-05-2002, 08:17 PM
the 2 dunes next to one another is Devils slide. did you hit the trail that goes right up the rocky mountain next to the sand? the view up top is cool. Next time you go take County line road accross the highway 78. that's the bad lands see if you can find the ridge and ride along it. the view from there is awesome too. but remember that's no longer park area and it's challenging.

Lorduss
05-07-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey wheres the best place out there to find jumps at?
ive looked around a little and finding any thing decent is hard out there, is there any tracks in the wells?? hows the riding area on the other side of 78 ?

monkeynuts
05-12-2002, 11:39 PM
i've never been to ocotillo wells, but i went to superstition this saturday. i actually like it better out there than Glamis. from what i understand it is right next to ocotillo. superstition sounds the same...you run knobbies, but there is a lot of sand, also. if anyone has been there let me know how it compares to occotillo. also, if anyone is ever loooking for someone to head out there with some weekend, let me know, the people i ride with always seem to be busy...

Lorduss
05-18-2002, 12:22 AM
octillo is sand, but its a very thick sand,
20 mph winds at glamis make sand storms everyware, takes 30-40 at octillo, thick sand is realy nice though, i just wish there where more jumps, i gotta do a little more exploring, im heading out to octillo tuesday, gonna search down along the 78, not along it but a little ways off,

05-18-2002, 01:05 PM
I've been to both O-Wells and Superstition, they are quite similar, but Superstition has more sand. There is a 20+ acre area of sand that is quite soft and challenging with knobbies. I like to go there for a different ride than the Gordons Well. Riding the soft dunes with knobbies makes for a fun challenge.

Dune Surfer
08-19-2002, 10:24 PM
If you want rocks and hard pack bumps go to oct. For sand, drive a little further to Glamis (DUNE HEAVEN) I will never go to oct again after going to Glamis!!

rcclark03
08-21-2002, 09:25 AM
I am a huge Superstition fan. It is real close to SD, it has "sand dam" (a real decent hill climb), lots of real sand to ride in, lots of hard pack trails around the mountain, and if you are looking for a place to jump your quad, the sand dunes which stick out of the hardpack to the east of the mountain are perfect, almost like tabletops. Just watch out and don't overshoot the landing! It is like driving out of a 4 story building. My friend got a little ambitious on his KX 250 and collapsed his lung.
Also a plus is that there are very few Rangers, so you put around with 2 people, or have an old, unregistered three wheeler, say an atc 90... You won't get hassled.
If you have any other questions about it let me know.
Have fun!

EXfireguy
08-21-2002, 10:32 PM
I prepared for the Adelanto Grand Prix by riding for hours at Ocotillo Wells. There are a ton of places to ride. I ride out by the dry lake bed out past the Iron Door. There is an airplane graveyard out that way also. There is a road full of whoops, maybe 3/4 mile long... NOT for the weak or arm pump sufferers. See you out there this season.

tj's400ex
08-22-2002, 08:29 PM
rcclark03,
Can I get directions coming from Ocotillo Wells? This would make a perfect day trip! Do you run knobbies?
Thanks Tj.

rcclark03
08-23-2002, 12:10 AM
From San Diego way, you would want to take 8 east, exit Dunaway Road, head north a short way, go right (east) at the tee on Evan Hewes Highway. Go about a mile, take a left on Huff road (heading north). stay on this for a few miles, then go left on Wheeler road (west) to the camping area. Wheeler road is dirt. May I suggest doing this during the day when you can keep sup. mtn in sight. You stay on Wheeler for a couple of miles before reaching the prime camping spots.

Coming from Ocotillo Wells, you would want to go back west on the 78, catch the S2 south (which goes by sweeny pass rd, imperial highway, etc, and eventually turns into Evan Hewes highway when you pass through Ocotillo (not wells). Then you can follow the above directions.

I would suggest going to www.mapquest.com and checking out a map of imperial county, it is pretty east to figure out how to get around.

I do run knobbys, there are way too many rocks to eat up my ss2's. The trick is to run them near flat in the sandy areas and you will be just fine. There is some real fine sugar sand that will eat you alive if you have too much pressure.

Maybe I will catch you out there this season!

tj's400ex
08-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Thanks rc,
i've been to superstition twice in the last 11 years. We took the long ride in dunebuggy's off road from Oc. Can't wait to check it out on my bike.

tj.

CHAUNCY
10-26-2002, 01:32 PM
any of you guys go to Dove Spings or Jawbone area ?
There is a trail and roads that go from dove spring to jawbone.
i have been on trails that are like 15 miles of just strait whoops.
its fun but tiring
Havent done that trail on a quad cuzz i usually take my bike with my dad, bro, and bro's friend although one time my bro took his shee and it was soo fun goin up the soft sand hills.
If you havent been you need to go it is so fun.
They also have this step up that is a 15-20 foot cliff that you jump up after jumpin the 30+ foot road.
It was in a movie but i saw people do it a couple times and it was insane. It would be a site to see someone do it on a quad.