PDA

View Full Version : WB Eseries RESULTS as promised.

kaneman23
03-03-2002, 03:35 PM
As I promised a few members, I would post about the results of installing my WB e series, KN filter w/outerwears, and 165 mainjet. I went against wb instructions and just did everything at once. They recommend just installing the pipe and then experiment by changing the disks and only rejet if all else fails. I knew from previous posts that I was going to have to rejet no matter what wb claimed so I did. This install was simpler then I thought it was going to be including rejetting. Basically, I unbolted my headpipe and OEM silencer. I went ahead and did the headpipe mod as well while I was in there(grinding the welds). I removed the airbox(for easy access) and removed the carb. You probably don't have to remove the carb but I wanted to see everything and clean it up while I was in there. I removed the stock 148 mainjet and installed the new 165mj and put everything back together. Bolted the KN on and the new pipe and I was ready to roll. It started easily but had a hard time idling so I adjusted the idle screw once it was warmed. I then took it for a test ride around the neighborhood and noticed more low end and mid range torque.. Topend may be slightly improved my not really noticable. The frontend will come up effortlessy in the 3rd gear Later,
Justin

kaneman23
03-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Man, I wouldn't have wrote a book if no one was going to look...

03-04-2002, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear about ur pipe.i just ordered an e-series too for my 300ex.do u have a 400 or 300?

kaneman23
03-05-2002, 09:23 AM
I have the 400.. Terry from Marcum's told me many people have bent their pipes and as long as its not kinked, don't worry about it. Thanks,
Justin

WISHERTDF
03-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Are you runnin with your air box lid on or off? When are you going on the trails on 234? Did you take any disk out of your pipe or leave it a 12?

2000 400ex
K&N filter with precharger
Renthal H-bars
160 Main Jet
Shock Covers
#3 Dale E. tag on rear grab bar

kaneman23
03-05-2002, 01:15 PM
I left it at 12 and I am going to try 8 this weekend. Also, I will probably run with the lid off on 234 but wont cross any deep water.

WISHERTDF
03-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Let me know how it runs with the 8 disks, I am not going to be ridin for another 2 weekends. Does yours run rich with the 165 if I can find some time I might put that in instead of the 160 and just see if it runs better.

David

kaneman23
03-05-2002, 02:37 PM
I haven't done a plug test to see if its running rich or not. But it doesn't smell rich and the throttle responce is great... I am going to leave it at 165 until I do more mods.

kaneman23
03-07-2002, 11:09 AM
I took out 4 discs last night and it ran better. It isn't as loud with only the 8 discs(which I like). Also, when you let off the throttle it doesn't decelerate as hard(less back pressure?) Before when I was running 12 and let off the throttle it would decelerate too fast\hard for my taste. IMO it is perfect now....

Justin

JB's 400ex
03-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Do you notice any difference in the performance after removing the 4 disks.

kaneman23
03-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, I noticed a little better performance in bottom end, but nothing dramatic.

400exredrider
03-09-2002, 06:48 PM
did you just rejet the main jet??? or did you do the pilot jet and move the needle......do you think 165 main jet would be good for me i have a K&N filter and im in iowa what size jet do you think i should use?? THANKS

kaneman23
03-09-2002, 07:40 PM
I rejetted just the mainjet to 165 and left everything else alone. Jetting has a lot to do with your altitude. You might want to talk to someone else from Iowa and see what worked for them. You could buy a few mainjets and starting at 155 and work your way up to see what works best for you. Terry at Marcum's recommended the 165 to me and I took his advice. It seems to be run great so far. It doesn't back fire and there are no low spots in through the throttle.

400exredrider
03-09-2002, 08:04 PM
how do i get ahold of terry????????

440EXR
03-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Kaneman is right each machine and location is different temp altitude and mods all affect jetting I run 18 discs 170 kn main in winter with 45 pilot to help cold starts and 165 kn main in summer with 42 pilot i keep my kn needle on 4 all the time and mine runs great. so buy a few jets they are cheap put one in and go for a run if it backfires on deceleration your lean if it stutters (is that a word) on accelleration your too rich that will get you close then do a over 3/4 throttle plug run look for chocolate brown although thats not so accurate because of gas additives. By the way the reason it is slower to decel when you remove disks is that you are creating MORE backpressure I figure less backpressure = go faster works for me. Whats nice about the discs is that if you ride high altitudes you can easlily remove disks to richen up the combustion sure is a lot easier than removing the mian jet on the trail as Honda and KN suggests

440EXR
03-09-2002, 09:22 PM
Forgot to mention I run xc and at a run last week ,lots of mud and water (we have 2 bikes) the one with the open airbox and an outerwares airbox cover had less dirt than the one with a closed airbox those things really work I think there is an article on them in product reviews

400exredrider
03-09-2002, 10:36 PM
i need an outerware for my K&N so i can run it with lid off or a modded lid anyone got one
i think ill get a 160 and a 165 to try both of them out.......

kaneman23
03-10-2002, 09:19 AM
440exr, I noticed when I went down to 8 discs it felt like there was less back pressure.. When I decelerate it didn't crackle as much and also it didn't decelerate as harsh when I let off the throttle.. I read that the more discs you run the less backpressure and you can gain more hp. I just wonder why it was different in my case. Altitude or jet size maybe? Who knows, maybe I am just retarded...lol... Later,
Justin

440EXR
03-10-2002, 09:35 AM
Yea when you reduced the disks it probably brought the exhaust size inline with your carburation so your bike was running better there is a chart on the intallation sheets that come with your pipe that tells you what size of opening each # of disks is equal to
I really like the wb pipe looks good nice sound and performs well only problem I had was at last weeks xc a stick hit my choke lever and that created a HUGE backfire and it blew the silencer to pipe connection totally apart just got it welded yesterday so back in action

kaneman23
03-10-2002, 09:46 PM
That makes sense. I haven't picked up those sheets that wb sent with the pipe yet. I have been doing what I have learned from you guys on the board and it has worked great.... Thanks
Justin

440EXR
03-10-2002, 11:09 PM
If your going to use an outerware box cover dont use the velcro they send with it really sucks. Do it like the one in the exr reviews section just cut the whole center of the lid out and install it on top of the outerware which is placed over the open box . When you latch the lid on it tightns the outerware perfectly and holds it well and is easy to remove for cleaning(they should last for about a year) I also use a filter outerware as double protection this has worked great for me. I got my stuff from Hytech they are listed in the links. if you need the white bros paperwork they have it on their web site under tech manuals I think