PDA

View Full Version : ********lil ? about jetting********

GodGuy
02-27-2004, 08:18 PM
I just want 2 know what jetting is the best for my 400. I got the K&N power kit(filter, jets) so like what, 145, 165....? And next, in about 2 months I'll buy a E-Series pipe and with the exhaust & K&N, what will be my jetting config. the best at ????
Thanx guys...

250EXpwns
02-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm not exactly sure it depends on your elevation I know that.

dawnchris
02-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Yup, altitude makes a diff. If you buy a Dynojet kit, not only does it have a WIDE range of jets for altitude and performance mods, it has a great needle as well.

GodGuy
02-27-2004, 08:51 PM
yeah, I know but how should I place the neddle, what does it do 1 clip up or down, up richer or leaner.... and should I put a 42mainjet and take off my choke(I have winters here so I'm not sure about that!)

dawnchris
02-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Raise the clip position-Lean the mixture & vice-versa. I wouldn't remove MY choke, and I live in CA. The choke deal should be for the hardcore racerboy only.

EXerHonda400
02-28-2004, 07:07 PM
just look at to see were your clip is at when you take out the stock needle, my guess is it's at 3rd from then top i think. then i would put in the DJ146 jet, that is also the one it wants with an aftermarket exhuast. that is one of the most common set ups that i know about also put in a 42 pilot cuase otherwise you are supposed to put the fuel screw out 3.5 turns and that is a little much, it's passed the recomended turns. with the 42 in you only have to put it out 2 turns. hope it helps.

nikejoe
03-01-2004, 09:30 AM
I agree with EXerHonda400. With those mods (pipe and K&N) the needle should be okay in stock position. Just go by the instructions in the kit for your elevation and your mods. If you do not have the exhaust yet. I personally would not jet yet. If you do jet and you are running a K&N filter and everything else stock, but jet it for the pipe. It will be too rich for you until you get the pipe. It will probably run like chit!! Just my $.02! No Charge!

However there are ALOT of people on this site that know ALOT more than I do. And I've been wrong once or twice in my life!:p

zephead400ex
03-01-2004, 09:55 AM
It all depends. You might need to rejet now that you have installed the K&N filter...how is it running now? After installing the pipe you will most definately need to rejet. Any mods that improve power will equal rejetting. If the proper amount of fuel is not supplied then your power will suffer, which is pretty redundant IMO. I am not sure about jetting in CA but I would probably start with a 152 main with only the K&N filter. Once you pipe it, proabably at least a 155 main and 42 pilot. The needle posistion will probably be fine in the stock posistion, but again it all depends on how it runs b/c all bikes run differently.

Hope this helps.

hondarider2006
03-01-2004, 03:49 PM
if you get the 42 piolet, you can remove the choke. There isn't much difference in power, that I could feel anyways, and its not any harder to start. Its actualy easier to start. Just pump the gas a few times and it fires right up. It does this at -30...and I doubt it gets that cold in CA. If you have the stock filter on, and don't feel like messing with the jetting, I would wait for you pipe to arrive and than do it all at once. I don't think you will feel much gains with just the k&n, but with the pipe, filter, and jetted you will;)