PDA

View Full Version : 2004TRX450R ,Hammer trx450r,Blown 331,schmitthead

400ex
02-27-2004, 05:27 PM
hey guys,
maybe i should of messaged you guys personnaly, but i'm not very familiar with this whole system, so sorry bout that.
Tomorow(saturday), i will be breaking in my 450r.

-What have you guys done?
-What do you recommend I do?
-How long should i wait to start lugging it?
-Does it make sense to wait after i passed a whole tank of gas through it to make my first oil change?
-By the way, what kind of oil do you run on either side? my dealer gave me 10w40 with moly for one side, and plain 10w40 for the clutch side, is that alright?

sorry for the big amount of questions guys.
thanx, i really appreciate it.

Sportrax10
02-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey I have 2 450rs and you didnt say my name!:cuss: :devil:
j/k

Dont give too much throttle but dont go too low either... Just ride around for the first tank or two. That what my dealer told me and it worked great..

Change your oil after your first tank or two. Use Pro Honda in the Tranny, and im using regular GN4 for break in. Then im gonna go with the HP4 synthetic with moly after that....

Good luck!

Blown 331
02-28-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Hey I have 2 450rs and you didnt say my name!:cuss: :devil:
j/k

Dont give too much throttle but dont go too low either... Just ride around for the first tank or two. That what my dealer told me and it worked great..

Change your oil after your first tank or two. Use Pro Honda in the Tranny, and im using regular GN4 for break in. Then im gonna go with the HP4 synthetic with moly after that....

Good luck!

That's pretty much what I did. I didn't run it very hard for about 3 tanks of gas, just kinda putted around. I did the same with the oil. And after 3 tanks I intstalled the HRC kit and 13 tooth sprocket. I'm also going to buy a White Brothers E-series full system when it comes out.

2004TRX450R
02-28-2004, 09:43 AM
I started mine and let it get up to operateing temp the shut it off a few times. I'd blip the throttle once in awhile too. Then I rode it easy for awhile. Then Hammer down after a tank or two of fuel.

I wouldn't run the moly stuff in it for a few changes. I'd just run the normal 10W/40 in it and use HP Trans Oil in the tranny. Change the oil after the first couple of hours of rideing. I usually always change mine after I ride for a weekend. Make sure you change the filter too.

Hammer trx450r
02-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah they rapped it up for ya. no moly for break in. Don't be afraid just make sue you warm it up real good. and go with the gn4 during break in. just cause i cant see anything from pepboys on or in my bike