PDA

View Full Version : bad solenoid or what??

chucked
02-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Sometimes (usually when im first starting it up for the day) my 400's starter solenoid only clicks, if i keep clicking it, it will eventually turn the engine over, but, if I hit it with something (say a screwdriver) it will work, or if I plug it into the battery charger it will work right away. I originally thought it was a bad ground but after cleaning every single connection and checking every wire for wear Im starting to think its the solenoid, which are 60 freekin bucks. What yall think?

wilkin250r
02-27-2004, 03:22 PM
If you plug it into the battery charger and it works right away, it sounds like the problem is your battery.

If your battery is too low, the starter doesn't engage, it just clicks. It sounds like you are right on the edge. By connecting your battery charger, you are giving it just a little extra juice to fully make that transition from low-battery to good battery.

chucked
02-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If you plug it into the battery charger and it works right away, it sounds like the problem is your battery.

If your battery is too low, the starter doesn't engage, it just clicks. It sounds like you are right on the edge. By connecting your battery charger, you are giving it just a little extra juice to fully make that transition from low-battery to good battery.
no it was the solenoid, just got one in i ordered a few days ago, works like new.