View Full Version : Sticking rocker

Knips178
02-27-2004, 09:57 AM
My brother has a 99 400ex that started off with a ticking noise coming from the engine, which right away I thought it was valve lash so i removed the valve covers and manually rotated the engine and noticed one valve sticking on the exhaust side sticking for a second than clicking up after the cam love was already off the rocker. Initially the valve guide was suspected as being shot so the head was taken off and all the carbon cleaned out. The valve guide was not changed because after the cleaning the valve moved freely and tolerances were fine.

The head was reinstalled and the clicking persists, so my brother decided he was going to tighten the valve lash to like a negative .1 (basically pushing the valve down slightly) to stop the ticking noise, which it did sort of, but then there was no compression because the exhaust valve was slightly open on the powerstroke. I fixed the lash and tried starting it up put it won't turn over all the way. and the ticking is still there.

Yes, i double checked the lash, yes, i used all new gaskets including head and valve, yes, i double checked the cam timing. With all that out of the way, this is the conclusion I came to, The rocker arm assembly is sticking or binding somehow which is causeing the exhaust valve to stick down and leaving the valve open enough to disrupt the powerstroke and causing the engine to not run!

Has anyone had a similar problem or had problems with the rocker assembly binding or sticking? If so, how do I fix this problem or what do you think the problem is?
Thanks for any help!:confused: :confused:

Knips178
02-27-2004, 05:08 PM
I checked the rocker arm assembly and it is working fine, so that's not it! :grr:
So now what?
I rechecked the cam timing and made sure it was perfect, and all it does now is, with the choke on and not giving it gas it will huff like it wants to start but it never turns over. I double checked the wiring and the battery. Gas is getting in and I replaced the spark plug and spark plug boot. It still gets hung up on the exhaust valve on the way up then clicks shut, so the only thing i can think of is a bad valve guide. but that still doesn't explain the starting problem! Any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!