PDA

View Full Version : what could cause this???

44oEX
02-27-2004, 06:06 AM
I rebuild a spare motor for my friend and when I whent for a test drive it lasted about 30 min and the motor stop ( didn't seize but I could't spin the back tires in 2 gear ) anyway I figured I would check the oil just for fun and to my suprise the oil was cold. ( not good ) the oil wasent going around the motor it just stayed in the tank.

what could cause this. At first I figured I furgot to put the gear on the oil pump so I took the cover off, but that was not it. could the oil pump just not work???.

The motor ran really good for about 20 min then it started to act up and quite after 30 min.

This was after complete disasembly trans and everything.
So there was practicly no oil in the motor for 30 min and I was giving it pretty good and it still lasted 30 min and people say honda it not tough:macho try to take the oil out a yamaha ( or anything else for that matter ) and see how long it will last:devil:

02-27-2004, 06:46 AM
umm dude... u fudged somethin up

MIKE400EX
02-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Check to see if there is something keeping the oil pump bypass open. Does oil flow through the cooler and tank lines?

44oEX
02-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by member
umm dude... u fudged somethin up

I don't really know if it's my fault. If the oil pump just let go on me there is nothing I could have done. It not the first time I open up a motor. and all the others worked just fine and I did the exact same thing to this one.

Originally posted by MIKE400EX
Check to see if there is something keeping the oil pump bypass open. Does oil flow through the cooler and tank lines?

No It didn't but I only noticed when it was to late. the oil tank had some ice on it, it was so cold. ( we do have snow up here and it was pretty cold ) and the cooler was cold to. so the oil never left the tank. There is only a little amount that whent in the motor.

i'll check the pass on the oil pump.
anybody have any other ideas.

mustang93
02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
did you prime the oil pump after the rebuild? some people use assembaly lube or pack vasoline in the gears, if you didnt the pump could of been air bound and never had a fighting chance..:(

sled_ed 300ex
02-27-2004, 07:48 PM
this is 44oex.

No I didn`t prime the oil pump but I never did on any of the other motors I rebuild and I never had any problems in the past. And I did do a couple motors in the past.

How do you prime the pump:confused:

02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
if im correct there is a mesh screen in the tank check that and see if its clean.

pteknique
02-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Jingle
if im correct there is a mesh screen in the tank check that and see if its clean.

Yea what he said. Just take off the oil line on the bottom of the tank and there's a screen there that is prone to clog up.

mustang93
02-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by sled_ed 300ex
this is 44oex.

No I didn`t prime the oil pump but I never did on any of the other motors I rebuild and I never had any problems in the past. And I did do a couple motors in the past.

How do you prime the pump:confused:

some people use assembaly lube or pack vasoline in the gears

also do what the other guys said and check out that pump suction screen in the tank, especialy if the motor was ate up before the rebuild

44oEX
02-28-2004, 05:57 PM
thanks. I`ll check that and let you know