PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting preload.

SNIPA
08-21-2001, 08:03 AM
What exactly does adjusting the pre-load on the front and back do? Is it load on the shock or spring or both. Will it raise or lower the bike? Thought about playing with this today would like to get a little insight. Thanks!!

Stunz
08-21-2001, 08:31 AM
Adjusting the pre-load changes the force of the spring. The shorter you make the spring, the high the force becomes. The spring has a set spring-rate (I do not know what it is), which is # in pounds per inch of travel (Lbs/In). So the more you compress the spring (travel), the more force (Lbs) it will exert. When you increase the pre-load of the spring, you are making the spring start out (and end) at a higher force. The spring-rate will remain the same.

Example: If the spring rate is 50Lbs / inch, then if the suspension travels 3", the force becomes 150Lbs.
If you pre-load this set up with say a 1" pre-load, then when the suspension travels 3", the force will be 50Lbs + 150Lbs = 200Lbs.

Why would you change the preload? Not all riders weight the same. A 130LB riders would not have as much pre-load as a 210Lb rider.

SNIPA
08-21-2001, 10:46 AM
OK Thanks, this gives me a better understanding of how the preload works. More preload will give stiffer suspension. So if i want it to do wheelies easier i would stiffen the front and take some out of the back....Does this sound right?

4punksdad
08-21-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SNIPA
OK Thanks, this gives me a better understanding of how the preload works. More preload will give stiffer suspension. So if i want it to do wheelies easier i would stiffen the front and take some out of the back....Does this sound right?

making your rear end a little stiffer might make wheelies easier, but the front will have ZERO to due with anything other than the touchdown.................if you want a nice plush ride crank the front springs to the setting where they are fully expanded...........if you want to hit big jumps, you will most likely have to compress the spring to resist harsh landings.

If you want to hang wheelies.........hit the gas & lean back a little bit :)

preload is shown in the attached photo :o

Max400
08-21-2001, 09:54 PM
Hey 3punksdad.... I dont do alot of jumping( I'm not as young as I used to be LOL) but I do alot of trail riding. I'm 6'5" and 220, what should I set my Rear shock at? maybe this is a stupid question but it never hurts to ask.

4punksdad
08-22-2001, 03:55 PM
at your weight, and only trail riding, I would say you might want to make your rebound a little faster, and the preload should be set somewhere between stock & stiffest setting. You are a fairly big guy & you will not want the suspension too soft. Check your owners manual for compression & rebound adjustment details. Its very easy.