PDA

View Full Version : Oh I Need Help!!!

dirtmomma
02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Ok here's the deal, this is on my 300ex. I thought that my battery was bad so I took it to the battery store & they tested it & it's fine. Soooo when I hit the start button it just makes a zinging noise?? Sorry wish I could explain better LOL but anyway so I took the switch assembly off of our 400 (same part #'s) & put that on there & still NOTHING sounds the same! Does anyone have ANY ideas what this might be?? We are going to get the test light on it tonight or this weekend but just looking for ideas, I did put another wiring harness on it (cuz it was having issues before but then it didn't make ANY noises) it was just plain dead. I havne't had any troubles w/ it since until last weekend it just all of a sudden started this :grr: It will bump start just fine & run but as soon as I turn it off it's done. Well I hope someone can help me, I WISH I had a kick start!!! Thanks for your help ;) I really need to get this figured out, I can't race w/ it like this :(

K_Fulk
02-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Maybe the some of the gears between the starter and the flywheel arent engaging. :confused:

AtvMxRider
02-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Check all the grounds.

bone705
02-26-2004, 06:30 PM
maybe try tapping on your starter solenoid. is the noise coming from that? its the one under the seat.

JDiablo
02-26-2004, 06:44 PM
i had the same problem,and i checked my battery and it said it was charged,but it really wasn't my battery was dead,that is it

dirtmomma
02-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
i had the same problem,and i checked my battery and it said it was charged,but it really wasn't my battery was dead,that is it

Hmmmm well i guess tomarrow i will be taking the battery off the 400 & tyring that LOL poor 400 hehe I keep thinking it's the battery too cuz the way it sounds. When we leave the battery charger hooked up Ron said it will start :huh Thanks for the suggestions & wish me LUCK!!! If it was pouring rain I'd go try it now, it's driving me crazy :rolleyes:

RideRedEX
02-26-2004, 08:05 PM
sounds like your starter is spinning but not engaging. hope its just your battery but usually thats a clicking noise

dirtmomma
02-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by RideRedEX
sounds like your starter is spinning but not engaging. hope its just your battery but usually thats a clicking noise

:( :( OH I hope that it's not the starter I just priced one on Service Honda's website :eek2: :eek2: $245 OUCH & I have a race on the 13th looks like I may be running the blaster :rolleyes: naw I gotta think positive, HELL w/ the property taxes I need a starter LOL J/K;)

Maybe I should rephrase the "sound" my son says it sounds like this tatatata ROFLMAO almost sound like one of the commercials where someone is trying to tell the mechanic the sound thier vehicle is making :blah:

thumperex
02-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like its your starterclutch.

Aceman
02-26-2004, 08:46 PM
It's your starter. I would either look for a starter on here, check on Ebay, or just tear your starter apart and replace what's broke.
You don't have to buy the whole starter, you can purchase just the parts you need and rebuild it.

Out_Sider
02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
mine was doin the same thing..it was my battery....the same noise and everything..so i put my battery on a 10 amp charge for like 24hours, and it has been great since

dirtmomma
02-27-2004, 09:41 AM
WEll thanks for the responses we'll be checking it out today & I'll let you know what we find out wish me luck LOL

wilkin250r
02-27-2004, 10:01 AM
It's a 12V battery. Try to jump start your quad with your car, using standard jumper cables. Don't worry, your car battery won't hurt your quad.

If your quad starts using the car battery, the problem is your battery. If you still get the same problem, it's either a poor electrical connection, or you need to replace your starter.

redrunner
02-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's a 12V battery. Try to jump start your quad with your car, using standard jumper cables. Don't worry, your car battery won't hurt your quad.

If your quad starts using the car battery, the problem is your battery. If you still get the same problem, it's either a poor electrical connection, or you need to replace your starter.
I like when people speak my mind!:)

miken
02-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Starter clutch, actually probably the throw-out bearing is hanging up on the shaft and not allowing the drive gear to engage. If thats it you can usually just clean it up and your set to go.
Mike -

mustang93
02-27-2004, 12:03 PM
the real name of the part inside the starter that is your problem is called the bendix aka"starter one way clutch", it is a 1 way cluch assembaly that can get stuck if dirty. easy fix you have to take apart the starter and clean and lubricate the bendix assembaly, by doing so will alow it to engage and disengage as designed.

ps getting the brushes back into the slides and the armature back inside the housing can be tricky, most starters have little holes that you can put a small nail in to hold the brushes in place

HondaMan222
02-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida

thats your problem, i went and got a new battery, it wouldn't start intill i figured out it was in gear...lol and then it started right up, and everything is fine, the yosa batterys are like $40 out of rocky mountain.

dirtmomma
02-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Ok well I'll let you all know if it's the battery in about 3 hrs LOL I went & got a newone & it's onthe charger now the OLD battery was the stocker I do believe :eek2: Hmmm only 8 yrs old gee do you think that could be the problem LOL But once again thanks for the suggestions;)

ex kid
02-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by thumperex
Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like its your starterclutch.

exactly right.

dirtmomma
02-27-2004, 06:05 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA only a FEW of you knew what was wrong :blah: :blah: it WAS the battery OOOOOOO I'M A HAPPY HAPPY GIRL!!!!!:D :D :devil: Put the new one it & she fired right up Yeah BABEEE I'm back on the track!!!

Aceman
02-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I thought that my battery was bad so I took it to the battery store & they tested it & it's fine.

I suggest never going to this battery store again. If they can't even tell if the battery is good or not they shouldn't even sell them.

300exPat
02-28-2004, 06:38 AM
yeah my 300 was doing the same thing at the beginning of the winter after i was grounded a week, its the battery..... i should really get a tender or something

dirtmomma
02-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
I suggest never going to this battery store again. If they can't even tell if the battery is good or not they shouldn't even sell them.
It did have some juice left in it just not enough to start it, once it was started it was fine. Heck it was 8 yrs old :eek2: it was the stocker!!