PDA

View Full Version : College Riders

K2Snow
02-26-2004, 04:43 PM
All of you college folks who ride, where do you keep your bike? I'm concerned about taking my quad with me to college in San Diego. I'll be buying a new one soon enough and I am questioning what I'm even gonna do with it. Storage units? Lock it up in back of truck?

wilkin250r
02-26-2004, 04:51 PM
You have two methods. You can get a storage unit, but in the city they can get expensive. Or, you get yourself a good enclosed trailer, and keep a lock on it. You can even add an alarm to the trailer to warn you if anybody breaks into it. Be sure to add some sort of security device to keep anybody from stealing the entire trailer.

The enclosed trailer would probably pay for itself within 2 yrs over storage unit fees.

Tommy 17
02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
i'm gonna end up leaving mine home... its only 25 min away the 1st 2 years... then 1 1/2 hours home after that...

i'll be close enouf i can come home when i want to ride...

if it were me i'd really think if ur even goin to be able to use it... where u goin to ride it... it mayb cheaper and worth it to keep it at home and travel gas money to ride it once or twice a month...

redroost85
02-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Wow, that is great that you get to keep your quads when you go to college. I had to sell my awesome pimped 250x and my RM125, yeah I know, I know....but it was a screamer!

Dang, I wish I coulda kept those rides. College sucked. Working for a living and paying for school was tough. I am not sure how much better I am on the other side of that now. Be grateful you get to keep your rides, I sure the heck didn't.:(

But now I ain't selling schiz!:blah: :macho

ZSK
02-26-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm going to college about an hour and a half from home. The 300ex stays in my parent's barn. I let my brother/anybody else ride it. I just say if they break it they bought it. We have a roadside lot that we own with a shed, it will soon be moved over there with a padlock on the door.

K2Snow
02-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Hmm, not gonna be as easy as just selling it. I know their are plenty of places to ride around San Diego. Not necessarily in San Diego, but within driving distance. I can't see myself not having a quad and not riding. The enclosed trailer is a good idea, I might look into that. I'll be atleast 7 hours away so that isn't an option. Thanks for input so far.

TRX250X
02-27-2004, 07:53 AM
My problem is that my quad has to sit at home two hours away, but Badlands is only 1/2 hour the opposite way from school. Luckily when my buddies and I want to ride one of them will pick my quad and my gear up at home for me. Too bad I can't keep it here, I'd be at Badlands a lot more.:)

thump4863
02-27-2004, 08:07 AM
I live 4 hours from my house and I keep mine at home. Every weekend when I go ride I meet my dad halfway and we ride. If I have a race that weekend then I meet him at the race site. Not that bad he washes it and does all the maint. on it. But I only got one semester left I kinda hate not being able to ride it all the time.

speeddemon105
02-27-2004, 11:08 AM
I keep mine at home, but its only about a 2.5 hour drive at the most. I would like to keep it up here, but the storage units are expensive (nowhere to park a trailer). Plus if I needed to do any work, I really don't have the tools or place to do them. Personally I wouldn't put it in a trailer anyways. To easy for someone to drive off with a trailer, no matter how many locks you have.