PDA

View Full Version : air box lid or no lid question

660bigdaddy
02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
i have jetted my yfz for no lid which is a bad idea for gncc racing. but with the lid on, it doesn't have the same power. i am trying to locate a outerwears box cover for the stock box, but i'm having a hard time locating one. does anyone else have any ideas on how i could cover the box without losing the power.
thanks

02-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Just leave the lid off with nothing over it!!!!!!!

That is what I have done for three years and had no problems

rtyfz450
02-26-2004, 05:29 PM
I just cut some holes in the box and put an outerwear on the filter and have had no problems with power or mud getting into the box. The holes I cut are 2 triangles on the right and left side of the box oppisite from eachother. If you want a pic I can post one. If you decide to get an outerwear cover don't trust the velcro, I would take the stock top and cut the entire inside out and use it over the outerwear so it is secure.

Baley69
02-26-2004, 11:54 PM
http://www.ehsracing.com/products/yfz_450.php

660bigdaddy
02-28-2004, 06:44 AM
thanks for the link

powerstroke
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
for years bill ballance put a piece of fairly open celled foam over his airbox with no lid. he cuts the foam quite a bit bigger than the top of the airbox and lets the seat pan just kinda sandwich it down. that was on his R's and i heard he is using the same practice on his yfz. on my 400ex's i always cut the back half of the lid off so it was basically half a lid. I never had water or mud problems whilke racing XC. I havent decided how i will run my yfz yet. Matt

holeshot19
03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by powerstroke
for years bill ballance put a piece of fairly open celled foam over his airbox with no lid. he cuts the foam quite a bit bigger than the top of the airbox and lets the seat pan just kinda sandwich it down. that was on his R's and i heard he is using the same practice on his yfz. on my 400ex's i always cut the back half of the lid off so it was basically half a lid. I never had water or mud problems whilke racing XC. I havent decided how i will run my yfz yet. Matt i bet u was not in fl at the gncc race yesterday

03-01-2004, 12:16 PM
I was there . what is your point

holeshot19
03-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
I was there . what is your point u had to be sucking down water

03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
I actually got hit by sombody flipped my bike over in the water completely covering the bike. when I tried to start it back up I had a dead battery. but up to that point NO problems. I know several people on Pro row that did not run lids at all. I think it would have been a good idea to run a lid! My feeling is "if it is nasty enough you need to run a lid? It is nasty enough your not going to miss the hp the lid looses you."

03-01-2004, 03:02 PM
GNCC racing and no lid is begging for problems. GNCCer is a llittle retarded so dont' listen to him...:blah: :devil:

I can understand most pro's running no lid because their mechanic is more than happy to rebuild the motor between races. I know my mechaninic (ME) is not excited about rebuilding a motor every week so i run a modififed lid to help but not open. NO friggen way.:eek2:

03-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Ricos I will kick you boy!!!!!! I am just saying I don't run one and no problems from that during the race

holeshot19
03-01-2004, 05:57 PM
i also know that most pros had 2 that is TWO quads in there pits so yes i can understand them not careing

powerstroke
03-01-2004, 07:07 PM
i didnt say it was the only way to go. i was just pointing out some facts. i have several friends who run every single gncc. i run several a year. My buddy that was at florida did jet down and run a lid in florida because of the over abundance of water at that particular race. I race the missouri xc series and nasty conditions is the norm rather than the exception. I run a lid cut about 50% away and have never had water problems. if you get in extremely deep water your airbox is going to take water lid or no lid. Matt

Baley69
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I run in the sand and woods alot, and I have not had one problem with the setup like the one from ehsracing.

MJNOVA
03-02-2004, 10:13 AM
The nseat on the YFZ seals the front of the airbox pretty well. I have run my yfz in about 4-5 GNCC races without the lid and have had no issues. If your worried tape from the frame to the airbox. I had Zero water or mud and blasted the creek at ironman. Honda(400ex)with no lid is not the same---they suck water