PDA

View Full Version : z400 vs yfz

superz400
02-26-2004, 12:40 PM
i run gncc and want your opinoin should i keep the z it has hot cams port and polish head , hmf exhaust works shock all around, xc holeshots on baja rims lonestar stem and antivibe and handle bars+ more and put a big bore kit or should i sell and get yfz ??

400EXrider#91
02-26-2004, 01:44 PM
IMO i would keep the Z, the yfz seems like it would be a bit much for the woods

Barely legal
02-26-2004, 03:21 PM
I have a YFZ and had a Z400. The Z can be made to perform quite well and was about the best you could get a year ago. Mine felt incredibly akward and pretty much like a tank compared to the YFZ after about three weeks of not riding it. They are much different in weight and balance and do not handle as well. You've done a lot to your Z but with Works shocks (That's what I had) you are not even close to the handling and suspension of the YFZ, regardless of what Atvconnection puts on their home page.
The Z is good, but not great. I would never go back to one personally.

rtyfz450
02-26-2004, 03:41 PM
if you can get a good deal on the yfz and can sell the z for a good price I would do it. My dad has a z with alba exhaust, k&N, eldelbrock carb, hotcams, ignition, tcs triple rate shocks and more and it doesn't perform like the yfz but it sure handles better than it with the tcs shocks. it is much smoother but takes the hardest of hits with ease. my bike with the stock shocks takes the hard hits and rides ok now that I adjusted them but not as good as the tcs set up. If I was you and wanted to keep the z I would sell the works shocks and buy something better. Then you will handle just as good and the power will be good for gncc because of the suspension.you will find that you can ride at a higher level and much more controlled with properly set up suspensioon than more power. If you did any other kind of riding I would say get the yfz though.

superz400
02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
hey thanks barely legal i remember you from z400central

well i did put the z up for sale and personally i do like the z and i think it handles good, i havent had the chance to ride the yfz but i am smart enought to know it is a race quad out the box, thats why i really need imput

raptor_02
02-27-2004, 03:20 PM
the only way you can tell is find a friend with a YFZ and see if it is better for you. Just cause it is a little better for someone else doesn't mean the YFZ is better for you. It's all rider preference. But honestly i think if you ride a YFZ you will fall in love with one. By far the beest quad i have ever ridden. Haven't rode a 450r yet though :D

Gommer450r
05-10-2009, 07:00 AM
i will have to agree yfz450 hands down i only had a 400ex and a 250r befor but the power band in the 450 so much fun to have on the trails

Gommer450r
05-10-2009, 07:00 AM
i will have to agree yfz450 hands down i only had a 400ex and a 250r befor but the power band in the 450 so much fun to have on the trails

usp4u
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
this thread is 5 years old.:huh

Gommer450r
05-13-2009, 03:27 PM
hahah wow never noticed the date lol sorry lol
what bike did ya go with

Ride1Rob
05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
You must've went waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the archives to find this :confused: . I knew something was crazy when I read, "The Z was the best thing you could get a year ago." I was like WTF, has dude been asleep the last few years lol.

Sick0
05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
The z400 might be more comfortable... The biggest complaint about yfz for is cramp and small for me... but by far is much faster in every way...