PDA

View Full Version : just a thought about the 450r and the yfz

brandonpeake
02-26-2004, 11:33 AM
did anyone else get the atv action i believe it was the dec. or jan. one
that had all of ths old clips from the old magazines in it like i saw in 89 the 250r lost the shootout between it and the suzuki quad racer 250, which one would anyone rather have now?
cant help but wonder if this wont be a similiar situation with the yfz and the 450r only time will tell

trueblue450
02-26-2004, 11:37 AM
yeah the yfz sucks.. :rolleyes:

MIA450R
02-26-2004, 11:46 AM
LoL guys....face it...

As of right now, the YFZ is a damn good quad...in EVERY respect except one: reliability/durability. It will have to earn that respect over time....hopefully it will not be like previous Yamahas.

Back in the late 80's, Honda was not the fastest due to raw HP...it was fastest due to the superior suspension and handling. Honda does NOT have that edge anymore.

Yami and Suzi both learned a lot about why Hondas 250R was so much better. Honda learned very very little over the past 15 years. I love my 450R, but Honda did make some weird choices in how they came up with this quad. I really dont care, it cant satisfy everyone, but it does satisfy me.

Enough of these posts. Just ride, modify and roost.

brandonpeake
02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
ok let me backup im not bashing either if i was bying one today im not sure which i would buy but more than likely would be the yfz, in no way does it suck, yeah u made a good point about the suspension and handling
but the honda is gefinitely a good quad and i dont feel reliabilit would ever be an issue with it

hsr
02-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MIA450R
LoL guys....face it...

As of right now, the YFZ is a damn good quad...in EVERY respect except one: reliability/durability. It will have to earn that respect over time....hopefully it will not be like previous Yamahas.

Back in the late 80's, Honda was not the fastest due to raw HP...it was fastest due to the superior suspension and handling. Honda does NOT have that edge anymore.

Yami and Suzi both learned a lot about why Hondas 250R was so much better. Honda learned very very little over the past 15 years. I love my 450R, but Honda did make some weird choices in how they came up with this quad. I really dont care, it cant satisfy everyone, but it does satisfy me.

Enough of these posts. Just ride, modify and roost.
EXACTLY! The Honda 250r was the better of the 250's due to superior handling. The yfz450 has the edge in the horsepower department , and in handling. It's a tough one to beat. But nothing beats a Honda when it comes to reliablitly and durability, i don't care what anyone says.

raptor_02
02-26-2004, 07:00 PM
these are competition quads. Reliability isn't as important on these quads than say 400ex's and raptors. Honda doesn't even offer a waranty on their CRF motorcycle. That's because its a race bike.

hsr
02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
these are competition quads. Reliability isn't as important on these quads than say 400ex's and raptors. Honda doesn't even offer a waranty on their CRF motorcycle. That's because its a race bike.

Very true, but race bikes take the most abuse, and reliability should be strongly taken into consideration in the design of a race production race quad. Obviously race bikes break more often b/c that do take a ton more abuse. Everything is going to break over time.

Hammer trx450r
02-26-2004, 08:05 PM
agree! and quads take the most abuse.

hsr
02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda has a history of producing nearly buletproof atv's. Even take a look at some of the old 3 wheeler's that are still around and running strong! Yamaha also has a history of producing some awesomely fast machinery, the yfz is no exception. But I've been hearing to many things happening to them that has steered my clear of wanting one anymore. Maybe it's fact , or maybe it's fiction, im not sure. I stopped by bluetraxx and yfzcentral, and while scrolling down through the yfz450 posts, it seems as if they are plagued with "my battery's dead" , "my a-arms bent", "mine's leaking coolant..again." I realize that this isn't happening to all of them, but it's enough to make me question it's reliability and durability. If you don't believe me swing by those webistes and take a look for yourself.

the_hulkamaniac
02-26-2004, 08:57 PM
I am a firm belever in the quality of Honda's. I have had my 450r for a week now, with about 10-15hrs on it. 6 of those were at an ice race, no problems to report yet. So only time can tell!

Bending the a-arm's well that happens, but they seemed a bit light for there design,"gull wing ". Again just one of the things yamaha does, technology at a price. The other problems I cannot say first hand I don't know anyone who experienced those problems.

My biggest kudo's/congrats to Honda is for redesigning, the motor building it for quad use. Beefing up the tranny & clutch, building a motor to stand the test of time. Suspension and frames bend and break all the time, thats why we have accidents:)

My biggest complaint is yammie did not do this! So when people start to find some real power out of these motors, will they hold up? Just look at the 250r you can put any kind of power to it and it will hold. I bet the 450r is the same, the yfz is so close to the bike it may not be as strong. But again only time can tell.

trout
02-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Hulkamaniac, you make some good points,

However you are woefully incorrect when you stated that "yamaha didnt do this" refering to bulking up the engine for quad use. The DID beef up the clutch, specifically the number of clutch plates and the actual thickness of them. The tranny is beefed up as well, and an extra piston ring on the piston. This is exactly, exactly what Honda did.

Just pointing out a few facts you were incorrect on. Furthermore, ask the motorcycle guys, the yamaha 450F is generally considered more reliable than the Honda 450 motorcycle.

so logic goes that it will remain reliable in the quad.

trout

ATC83
02-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Talk to anyone that races motocross and they will tell you that the YZ400-426-450F's engines are BULLET PROOF! You can literally beat the piss out of them and they keep coming back for more. That's an incredible accomplishment in a high performance 4-stroke engine that revs out to 12,000 RPM. One of the main reasons for this is that the engine is a dry sump and not a wet sump like the Honda CRF and TRX. The extra oil capacity helps the engine run a long time.

king 450
02-27-2004, 07:56 PM
I swear you die hard honda guys kill me. when the trx was not released yet all you guys would say is that the trx will beat it. Know one was talking about reliabilty. Now its the only thing left for you all to put down the yfz for and that will change also. The 450r is based on the crf and the yfz is based on the yz. in the motocross world the yz motor is alot more reliable than the crf and has been for years. I not knocking the 450r it is one hell of a quad(my brother has one) but the sell for these new quads is race ready and the 450r comes up alittle short vs the yfz.

exrider44
02-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Im just waiting for people to do some crazy mods so we can see how nuts these bikes can really get. Not many people buy quads and ride them stock. At least people I know.

rollie
02-29-2004, 08:40 AM
the yfz is nice but if i get a 450 im getting the 450R:D

psd1
02-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
did anyone else get the atv action i believe it was the dec. or jan. one
that had all of ths old clips from the old magazines in it like i saw in 89 the 250r lost the shootout between it and the suzuki quad racer 250, which one would anyone rather have now?
cant help but wonder if this wont be a similiar situation with the yfz and the 450r only time will tell

OK, Guess what, the Banshee won the BAJA 1000 the first year it was released also...and we all know what a stellar racer the Banshee is!

So, next time you TRX guys are flaunting the BAJA win, remember, the Shee did it it's first year out too. Oh, and yes, it was made by Non-reliable Yamaha back then.

4fiddyR
02-29-2004, 07:14 PM
So are you saying history is gonna repeat itself or what?:confused:

psd1
02-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 4fiddyR
So are you saying history is gonna repeat itself or what?:confused:

I really dont know...:D I guess the fact that a bike can win BAJA only means that it is reliable...if it's YOUR brand! Everyone caps on Yamaha reliability, but they were able to pull off the same thing that Honda did...only 17 years ago. :confused:

I bet Honda would love to sell as many R's as Yamaha has sold Shees!

4fiddyR
02-29-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm a old Yamaha guy, and I'm glad I got rid of my 01 Craptor, cause that's what it was CRAP. I like the Banshee, but I prefer a 4 stroke.

Pro400EXC
02-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Man today at the Hurrican GNCC all I saw were YFZ's..I mean there like the Honda Civic of the quad world.....

Thats why I love my Dale,only 5000 made,so that means there a jem,and not everyone and there uncle will have one...

Anyways,I am gonna prolly get another quad for racing too,and its a hard decision,I am a big time honda guy,but the YFZ is looking like a better quad all around......But still,i feel my Dale is equally as great,and def isn't lacking anything...Especially in the technology and motor...

greghall
02-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
these are competition quads. Reliability isn't as important on these quads than say 400ex's and raptors. Honda doesn't even offer a waranty on their CRF motorcycle. That's because its a race bike. WHEN YOU RACE A TWO HOUR HS your bike better be reliable & I dont want to have any proplems during the season,thats why I bought a honda,but they did make a mistake with the tall gearing I dont even want to ride mine till I cahnge it .it pissed me off that much.

br549
02-29-2004, 09:09 PM
:D I like Honda I have 3 of them. But when it comes to a true factory RACE bike,
the YFZ 450 CANNOT & WILLNOT be beat! The YFZ Rules in relability, POWER, & suppension! The YFZ was a 6 year research & design bike before it was released! The Honda was barely a 2 year design!

psd1
02-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by br549
:D I like Honda I have 3 of them. But when it comes to a true factory RACE bike,
the YFZ 450 CANNOT & WILLNOT be beat! The YFZ Rules in relability, POWER, & suppension! The YFZ was a 6 year research & design bike before it was released! The Honda was barely a 2 year design!

Call out the dogs....Get a rope, there's fixin to be a lynchin'

Peace:D

lukester720
03-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by br549

Who cares if you like the yfz? Wow you got a good quad and you like it right? I have a good quad that I like too but you don't see me on the yfz sites saying that the 450r is the baddest quad ever made. I doubt that it took yamaha 6 years to make a quad with 250r geometry and slap a yzf motor with wider transmission gears in it but whatever you say. For all I know based on the evidence you may be working for yamaha and know more about it then everyone on this site. But I'm sure not too many people care about that either since this is a honda site.

lukester720
03-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Sorry for the response I didn't realize that you are so new to the site. From the Home page click on message board. Once on the message board scroll down past TRX450R INFORMATION and you will see YFZ INFORMATION which will be specific to your YFZ. I hope this helps. Like I said before sorry about the response. Welcome to the site buddy.

greghall
03-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Its 90% rider 10% what bike you ride if that so who cares what bike you ride if your fast & know how to ride Im not talking about pit riders who drag race up & back all day go ride a GNCC & finish in the top ten of ANY class & thats something to be proud of.

Scottie Mac
03-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by greghall
Its 90% rider 10% what bike you ride if that so who cares what bike you ride if your fast & know how to ride Im not talking about pit riders who drag race up & back all day go ride a GNCC & finish in the top ten of ANY class & thats something to be proud of.

FINALLY, THE ROCK HAS COME....ahh, sorry, Finally, someone has got it right!

Scott

greghall
03-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Glad somebody agrees with me the trash talk is thick in here it really dont matter what you ride Ive seen guys on trashed 300EX's blow guys away in HS races while they had tricked out 250R's.