PDA

View Full Version : Gearing Advice Front or Rear? Answer Here!

Honda
02-26-2004, 10:19 AM
O.K. Kid's, Here is the Million Dollar Answer to your gearing Question.

If you wish to Drop the gearing on your new ATV, It would be best to change the rear sprocket rather than the front.

Alex at Sidewinder Had the following to say.

"If you drop a tooth on the front sprocket, you will increase wear on your drive chain and front sprocket by 20%, The reason is when you drop a tooth in the front sprocket, the sprocket has to turn more revolutions than before, increasing wear. Also the smaller the sprocket, the tighter the turning radious the chain must follow, this increases wear and friction on the chain and the possibility of throwing it." He said he has been selling all kinds of sprockets for the TRX, YFZ and the Z-400.

His suggestion: Instead of running a 13 tooth Front Sprocket, Run Two teeth larger in Back.

14/40 Gearing

I ordered the 40 tooth Ti-Moly rear sprocket.

Thanks Alex! :D

joe1l
02-26-2004, 10:51 AM
I use sidewinder stuff on my other bikes, and I love them. The only reason i did not want to go with a 40t rear is that I wasn't sure how much slack the chain had. Plus those rear sprockets get expensive from sidewinder!! I will probably increase the rear after a while, but for now I'll stick with the 13t up front. If you adjust your chain regularly, and run a case saver, then the 1 less tooth will not be a big deal up front (as far as chain throwing goes).

Honda
02-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Bringin this one back to the top.

Also did you know.

The 400EX rear sprocket and chain length are the exact same. Front sprocket on the new R is from a CRF.

If you do want to change the rear sprocket rather than the front, a 41 tooth rear is the exact same as a 13 tooth front.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/images/ratioa.gif

Have fun Guys!