PDA

View Full Version : This could happen to your bumper and kickstarter...

MIA450R
02-26-2004, 06:52 AM
2 things went 'wrong' on my 450R last night, both of which surprised the hell out of me and don't exactly scream 'Honda quality'....

First,
While riding down a trail near my house, which is quite narrow, winding in and out of trees, and extra technical to maneuver due to the trail being covered in snow and ice (from the snow melting all day and freezing at night)....I hit a big ice patch while taking a sharp turn....my quad slid sideways and just before coming to a stop, I bumped into a tree...barely. Didnt think anything of it, as I've slammed into many a tree on my 400EX...much harder than that. I go off riding, and at some point look down to see that my front bumper is cock-eyed. On closer look, one of the 2 sides of the bumper is completely crushed. I couldnt F'ing believe it! I **TAPPED** that tree, and the bumper completely folded on itself. Yes, I understand that it was prob designed to do this, so the frame didnt take the hit, but I am telling you, if I had kicked the bumper, it would have been harder than I hit that tree. Amazing.

Wait....it gets better...

Second,
After bombing around all night with my friend on a DS650 Baja, at some point I wound up doing donuts in an open field. After burning thru the snow, I suddenly hooked up and stalled the motor...eh, it was late, i was tired. When I went to kick it over, I kicked it once or twice, and it started....but, after starting, all I can hear is that annoying CLICKING sound that you get when the kickstarter hasnt recoiled back to its resting spot. I look down, and THE KICKSTARTER WASN'T THERE. I jump off the bike, and only when my friend came over with his light shining on the side of my 'R did I notice what had happened: the kickstarter had become wedged between the engine (below the clutch cover) and the rear brake lever!!! I sheite you not. By the looks of it in this position, it looked as tho the kickstarter was broken, or seriously disfigured/bent. I killed the engine, and it took me a minute or so to get the kickstarter out of there. Once freed, it retracted back to the stock location, and looks to be ok. Repeated kicks after that, were fine. Going to have to check it closer this am.

Just a heads up on these 2 things. Most importantly, be careful at what angle you kick this thing over, or this may happen to you.

02-26-2004, 06:57 AM
the kick starter being wedged is from the way your kicking the bike over, move your foot out more so it wont close while your on the down stroke.

my friend did the same thing and i told him to move his foot out, no problems now.

your not used to the forward kicker and thats why that happens.

just remember to keep your foot on the flat part of the kicker.

MIA450R
02-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Heheh thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

As for not being used to a front kicker, I owned a TRX250X for about 12 years. I'm used to a front kick, and that never happened on that quad.

02-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by MIA450R
Heheh thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

As for not being used to a front kicker, I owned a TRX250X for about 12 years. I'm used to a front kick, and that never happened on that quad.

you should know better then!!:blah:

MIA450R
02-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Ya, I hear you Bee.

I will be conscious of my foot positioning going ahead, but honestly, I think the problem is the amount of flex in the aluminum kicker. The 250X's kicker was steel, and could not be bent inward and over like that.

Nonetheless, wanted to warn the masses.

Oh, and ironically enough, I have a new front bumper on order, and expecting to arrive today. I have always thought Honda's front bumpers were cheese--looking and performing. But this aluminum one is a joke.

GOTIS
02-26-2004, 09:56 AM
MIA, SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ..ECEPT THE SHIFTER BOLT CAME COMPLETELY OUT....CHECK THE BOLT TO MAKE SURE IT IS TIGHT>>>>

kbass24emtp
02-26-2004, 10:55 AM
I just checked my kickstarter bolt and it was not up to specs on thorque. Was a little loose. I also put more locktight on the bolt.

MIA450R
02-26-2004, 11:37 AM
2 kickstarter bolts were tight on mine.

I guess, if during the kick, your foot slides inward towards the engine, the kicker can close slightly, and result in it being able to go between the case and the rear brake lever.

Bad design on Hondas part. They should have made the footrest on the kicker (the flat part) angle ever so slightly away from the engine. I'm sure they didnt do this, as they would rather a persons foot slip towards the engine, than away from it, where it could slip off the kicker, and the kicker recoil back into their leg.

Who knows. Like I said, my 250X kicker never did this to me in 12 years.

jarsong
02-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MIA450R
2 kickstarter bolts were tight on mine.

I guess, if during the kick, your foot slides inward towards the engine, the kicker can close slightly, and result in it being able to go between the case and the rear brake lever.

Bad design on Hondas part. They should have made the footrest on the kicker (the flat part) angle ever so slightly away from the engine. I'm sure they didnt do this, as they would rather a persons foot slip towards the engine, than away from it, where it could slip off the kicker, and the kicker recoil back into their leg.

Who knows. Like I said, my 250X kicker never did this to me in 12 years.

Good lord I agree... Bad design. You shouldn't need instructions for doing this ....
jarsong

Hawk III
02-26-2004, 11:51 AM
the front bumper is now made of aluminum, and it doesn't look to be that beefed up either....Thats one of the first things I replaced when I got mine

seatec
02-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Don't feel bad about the bumper. A friend of mine tapped a tree with his YFZ the same way you did and he too bent the flimsy front bumper. it was patheticly soft. As for the Loose kickstarter bolt. Its funny but my crf450 bike and some others i talk to also had the loose kictsarter bolt. they should fire the guy who has that station in the factory:D

bama400ex
02-26-2004, 07:48 PM
this is not a flame but at 350 pounds you can kinda expect some of the trick light weight parts to bend pretty easy. of course you probally know that and think im a smartass.

redrider410
02-26-2004, 08:35 PM
MIA, SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ..ECEPT THE SHIFTER BOLT CAME COMPLETELY OUT....CHECK THE BOLT TO MAKE SURE IT IS TIGHT>>>>

I remeber once right before my second moto, i accidentally snapped the bolt to tighten the shifter lever on my 400ex. I couldnt do anything about it except wire it on and pray. I got into 3rd down the holeshot, then went to downshift to 2nd for the first turn and the lever fell off and was hanging by the wire. I stopped for a sec. and couldnt get it back on. I just went for it in 2nd gear. I cleared every jump in 2nd gear on my 400 miraculasly and finished 5th. THank god i bought that WB rev box.

robman
02-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Thats why I welded my shifter on,never had a problem since:)

Blown 331
02-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Same thing on the grab bar. I barely scraped mine in a muddy field and bent it up. I just hit it with a peice of wood and it bent back down. That alluminum is pretty weak.