PDA

View Full Version : Shaveing wait

2004TRX450R
02-25-2004, 11:36 PM
What all have you guys gotten rid of to shave weight? I have the frame at the powdercoaters now so it is in about 10,000 pieces. So far I'm thinking of getting rid of the fan, parking brake cable perch and lever(going to single CR style clutch lever), coolant recovery bottle, brake light switches, tail light and head light (only for races) swing arm skid plate, engine skid plate, and heel guards. That is about all I can think of off the top of my head. Anything else that any of you are getting rid of too?

Chef
02-25-2004, 11:51 PM
You shoulda got rid of all the extra tabs and junk on the frame before you sent it to the powdercoaters. I wish I would have done that on my R frame. When you take stuff off, you will wish you had something to cover up the un-used tabs. You could probably save 3-4 lbs in just un-needed mounts, etc. Get rid of all the plastic guards, and anything that doesnt really do anything. You basically covered everything I can think of right now.

2004TRX450R
02-26-2004, 12:39 AM
There really isn't many if any tabs to delete. It seems most stuff that I am getting rid of doesn't mount directly to the frame. A few things like the wire holders and stuff for the brake lights are all bolted on so you don't have to cut them off. Scott got rid of a bunch of frame tabs on his Banshee prior to powdercoating and it cleaned it up real nice.

r450rr
02-26-2004, 01:55 AM
get rid of owners manual and tool kit.. block off plate for parking brake.wait u said that my bad..thats about all there is

Guy400
02-26-2004, 05:11 AM
Helium in your tires:blah:

I'm assuming you only ride the dunes if you're removing skid plates?

Honda
02-26-2004, 09:35 AM
There is an extra Tab mounted on the swing arm for the Rear brake line and E-Brake Cable. Remove that and also you can use Shorter Bolts, Lighter Hardware, White Brothers has an extensive line of Titanium Bolts and Nuts if price is not an object.

You can drill Holes in some parts, Make sure to watch what and where you drill, don't want to weaken anything.

Stay away from too many billet parts, some of those parts I am sure are Heavier than the factory stuff. Example: Thumb Throttle covers, Front master Cylinder Cover.

Someone needs to develop Titanium A-arms and Swingarm.

There are all kinds of ways to remove weight. Every part needs to be scrutenized, looked at and then looked at again.

Go on a Diet, unless you are underweight already! :D

04trx450R
02-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Just thought, but getting rid of the fan and coolant resovior may not be the best idea. I am sure there there for a reason,, unless of course you do nothing but short races with time for it to cool in between.

wwclea01
02-26-2004, 04:38 PM
I believe that you all are trying to go a little overboard. Im sure that little amount of weight will not make much difference.

Evan400ex
02-26-2004, 06:19 PM
I agree, these pieces people are talking about taking off (fan, tab, etc...) is not going to make you any faster. I never understood why people take every little piece off a bike wanting to save fractional weight that is not going to do much of anything. It's like me taking a screw off of my truck and saying it will be faster:huh

Chef
02-26-2004, 06:25 PM
The tabs just make it look cleaner. The fan, however, is pounds. Along with all the extra wiring and stuff that goes with it. Once you get to a certain point with the bike, and a certain point in competition, ANYTHING helps. Believe me, I've been there and done that.:p

Andy479
02-26-2004, 07:50 PM
when ya hit a 70ft double the difference in clearing it or casing it could be the difference of those few pounds.
then again, if your just a trail rider don't worry about it.

Bretmd94
02-27-2004, 12:43 PM
About the fan and stuff, Im sure you can hook up the over flow hose for the coolant rezzie to pour onto the head. This way when your racing and if your bike starts to over heat it will pour onto the head and make a whole lot of steam letting you know its overheating. Then you stop. Simple as that. My freinds drag banshee is setup that way.

I havent even seen my fan turn on once yet. :rolleyes: Probably going to keep it though, im not that hard core into racing.

EvilJester400EX
02-27-2004, 01:26 PM
The way I see it, fans on quad engines are useless. If you're moving, air is going to get to the engine one way or another. The only reason I'd leave the fan on is if you ride trails, or just like to let the bike sit and idle for long periods of time.

Blown 331
02-27-2004, 01:49 PM
I had an ATC250R and that didn't have a fan so I guess what's the difference. I did see the fan on my 450R run yesterday. It was mostly hittin jumps in a wooded area, not much air flow.

paharleyman2001
03-26-2004, 12:11 AM
when you premix your fuel with oil the oil helps keep it cool also. the oil helps keep friction down in the cylinder so it doesn't run really hot and over heat thats why it doesn't have a fan.

kargaaro
03-26-2004, 07:00 AM
Go on a Diet, unless you are underweight already! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

2004TRX450R
03-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by kargaaro
Go on a Diet, unless you are underweight already! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya that is probably where I'm going to save the most weight!:D I'm not concerned enough to start cutting off bracket and drilling holes. Just was basicly leaveing stuff off that I didn't need when I was putting it back together from haveing the frame powdercoated.