PDA

View Full Version : Light front end??!??

joe1l
02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Where is it! I have not noticed the front end going up excessively at all. I read all this hype about the front end being way to light and that it is too easy to wheelie. I have 3 other quads and this one is reacts just the same to wheeling as the others. Its not to say that I can't pull the front end up easily, buts thats because of all the power, but not due to it being excessively light! I have even dropped the sprocket down a tooth, and it still feels fine. I'm starting to think the magazines had it out for honda, so they had to make up stuff about it!!

450r_rider
02-25-2004, 09:39 PM
I agree..... I don't think TRX front end feels to light either. You adjust you riding position to the amount throttle given and amazingly the front end stays down.. One would think atv mags would have figured that out! :confused:

r450rr
02-26-2004, 02:00 AM
yea really,, it stays on the ground way better than my 400ex

2004TRX450R
02-26-2004, 02:20 AM
I concur!

ATC83
02-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by 450r_rider
I agree..... I don't think thr front end feels to light either. You adjust you riding position to the amount throttle given and amazingly the front end stays down.. One would think atv mags would have fiured that out! :confused:

I doesn't make any sense what you are saying. On a well designed quad you shouldn't have to adjust your body position and and the amount of throtle you use. A good quad should have a very neutral feeling. The last thing you want to do on the motocross track is be thinking about your body postion and how much throttle you have to use in order to keep the front end down. The after market is going to make a killing selling extened swing arms for the TRX. If you really don't think the front end is light then why is the aftermarket only making +2 swing arms for the TRX and they are selling +0 swing arms for Yamaha YFZ.

Guy400
02-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by ATC83
I doesn't make any sense what you are saying. On a well designed quad you shouldn't have to adjust your body position and and the amount of throtle you use. A good quad should have a very neutral feeling. The last thing you want to do on the motocross track is be thinking about your body postion and how much throttle you have to use in order to keep the front end down. The after market is going to make a killing selling extened swing arms for the TRX. If you really don't think the front end is light then why is the aftermarket only making +2 swing arms for the TRX and they are selling +0 swing arms for Yamaha YFZ. So Kory Ellis doesn't use body positioning when riding his YFZ because it's so perfectly balanced? He never plants his butt on the very rear of the quad to get better traction? He never leans backwards to keep the bike level in the air?

joe1l
02-26-2004, 06:56 AM
ATC83

Why do you constantly try to put down the TRX.....I know you have a YFZ and you probably enjoy it, but please stop trying to flame the TRX. Go into the Bluetraxx forums if you feel like flaming the TRX, because it is really getting old here!:mad:

I don't think the front end is light and this isn't the first bike I have ridden nor is the only one i own. The front end feels much lighter on my TRX250R...oh yeah and we all know what a crappy quad that turned out to be:eek2: (sarcasm):macho

02-26-2004, 07:16 AM
:macho

dannyboy20
02-26-2004, 08:18 AM
ATC83

Why do you constantly try to put down the TRX.....I know you have a YFZ and you probably enjoy it, but please stop trying to flame the TRX. Go into the Bluetraxx forums if you feel like flaming the TRX, because it is really getting old here!

I don't think the front end is light and this isn't the first bike I have ridden nor is the only one i own. The front end feels much lighter on my TRX250R...oh yeah and we all know what a crappy quad that turned out to be (sarcasm)

Thank you. Someone finally telling him to shut the F*** UP !!! Constantly raggin on the 450R. Dont even no why he is on this site.

norrisboat
02-26-2004, 09:00 AM
You guys are misunderstood or just beginner riders. Its ok to be a beginner, I was there once too.

ATC83.

Body position is everything on a motocross track.

1. You have to have the right body position to go into turns and out to keep the optimum amount of traction.

2. Heck, im not even gonna tell you anymore examples cause I would be typing all day about body position.

The front end is light. True.

The front end on the trx is very light and wheelies out of everyturn. My corner speeds are slow on my stock trx because I am having trouble keeping the front tires on the ground to make the turn. Once my wheels hook up after a jump the front end soars like a bird into the air.

Some after market a-arms will help alleviate the weight issue in the front a little bit. They weigh more.

Honda
02-26-2004, 09:08 AM
The front end is not light! Period! End of story!

Dirtwheels? Isn't that the same Gay Magazine that turned the 450R into a 4X4? Is that not the same magazine that continues to make Honda's life miserble by Photo chopping 700cc motors into Honda Frames, trying to convince us readers that Honda might actually develop a Monster like that.

The only thing that was light in the front end when Dirtwheels tested the R was their Test Riders!

The New -R- Has a lot of Power, The power is what makes the Front end feel light, Same with the Raptor.

The Chassis on the new -R- is Leaps and Bounds better than the 400ex, and IMO better than the 250R also!

norrisboat
02-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda, You must be a pro then? Since you know what your talking about.

Honda
02-26-2004, 09:47 AM

Not a Pro! YET!:p

Norris,
You don't have to be a "Pro" Rider to be able to feel how well a Chassis is working. I am a Pretty Damn good rider, never had the opportunity to make Racing a Career.

I bet if you placed the 250R Two Stroke motor into the frame of the 04, This conversation would be a lil different. And Besides, I never said the New Machine didn't need a longer swingarm, I just don't think it is due to the Chassis design.

norrisboat
02-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Good for you.... I was hoping you would say "you dont have to be a pro to feel how well a chassis is working." But you do need to know how to ride.

Of course your gonna think the front end is not light if your not on the throttle and brakes constantly. Hammer the gas in a turn. See how well it turns once you pin the gas. Yes, the yamaha will wheelie also but the Honda does it much more, too excessivly.

No offense honda. Ive never seen you ride or heard of how well you are. My assumption of how well you ride is that you are not on the gas enough. Try hitting the throttle more. Just trying to help out. :D

joe1l
02-26-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm not a pro rider, nor do i care to be. Maybe i'm a fat F*ck,(i'm only 210) But I'm no beginner when it comes to atvs. To me it seems that charactristic of the front end lifting up excessively out of a turn may be due to the fact that it is getting too much traction.....after all we all know this thing is geared real high coupled with a large amount of torque. All I know is that it does not do it any more or less than my 250r. My 250r has quite a bit more power, so it actually does lift a lot more....but I enjoy it that way!!( i know the motor is working just right when i can stab on the throttle in 4th gear, and it lift right up like nothing!) I personally am never going to race, so I will never see the need to weigh down the front end!!

Then again, it may do this to those riders that weigh only 150-160lbs:eek2:

Honda
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
No offense honda. Ive never seen you ride or heard of how well you are. My assumption of how well you ride is that you are not on the gas enough. Try hitting the throttle more. Just trying to help out.

Try Hitting the Throttle More? :rolleyes:

So I guess I am slow? WTFE Dude?

Wanna Race Me? :huh

norrisboat
02-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Im done with this topic. I didnt intend for it to be a flame forum. I was trying to give advice and insight on the subject. Some people are just not coachable.

hsr
02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat

You don't have to be a pro to know what your talking about.

Honda
02-26-2004, 03:54 PM
You don't have to be a pro to know what your talking about.

No, No you don't!

What the hell is a Pro anyway? Just cause some magazine or Poster has your name in it with the words "Pro Rider" next to it? Don't mean Jack to Me.

Hammer trx450r
02-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Front end to light? what the? first off "get off the street" second we've been trying to get the fronts of our quads lighter for yrs. the problem is we got 2 diferent people here. some of us should be on 300 ex's. because some of this stuff is rediculous "shouldn't have to adjust your body" oh my god thats an all time low for this site

Out_Sider
02-26-2004, 04:52 PM
easy on the 300ex jokes.. :p jk.. i love quads that have a some what "light" front end. Thats why i like the feel of my stock swing arm on my 330. but yea, body position is everything in motocross..whos this atc dude tryin to fool :rolleyes: anyway this thread wasnt meant to be a flame, but it seems like everytime someone expresses their oppinion..ppl flame the hell out of it.

Hammer trx450r
02-26-2004, 05:26 PM
300ex's are awesome!! its the best quad for people who think the 450r's front end is tooo light

rtyfz450
02-26-2004, 05:36 PM
for racing mx in a pro caliber race the front is light. it will come up out of the corners. I have had first hand experience with this and I am not a pro racer. I have also talked to numeruous people about this and they all say the same thing. This doesn't mean that your quad sucks. I like the front to be light in the dunes and for trails it make the riding experience much more fun, but on the track when you can get into an accident from the front end comming up out of a corner and hitting something or someone that sucks.

Hammer trx450r
02-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Oh please stop. your crackin me up!!!

r450rr
02-26-2004, 07:01 PM
give me a break,, why does some people with the yfz''s think its cool to come and lecture about what some mag said..

HERE IS A GOOD COMPARISON.. my 2003 400ex. is lighter in the front end than my 450R... end of discussion, its not that big of a deal.. wheelie out of the turns.. if you learn to ride it, it wouldnt be a problem

macsolocam
02-26-2004, 07:22 PM
I will have mine moded up the second week of march, and will race it march the 14th. I will let ya know about power, corners, jumps and all the other usually stuff. Actually my bike with mods won't even be in the same class as a stock trx....can't wait to put this moded trx up against other moded yfz's.

I know ya will probably say I have to spend a bunch of money to keep it from a lot of things......but ya know what, someone that is serious about racing will always go all out. You have to pay to play!!

450r_rider
02-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
I doesn't make any sense what you are saying. On a well designed quad you shouldn't have to adjust your body position and and the amount of throtle you use. A good quad should have a very neutral feeling. The last thing you want to do on the motocross track is be thinking about your body postion and how much throttle you have to use in order to keep the front end down. The after market is going to make a killing selling extened swing arms for the TRX. If you really don't think the front end is light then why is the aftermarket only making +2 swing arms for the TRX and they are selling +0 swing arms for Yamaha YFZ.

I think what I'm saying makes perfect sense! What kind of quad doesnt require body postion to control it? If there was such a quad, how much fun would that be?:blah:
I would think by neutral feeling you mean a quad that responds well to body english. The TRX for me at least responds extremely well to body position and behaves just as I would expect it would. That is exactly what I want out of a quad.
As far as not applying throttle to keep the front end down.... well full throttle is the norm position and keeping the front end down is my fat as*** responsibility! If I get lazy and forget to, shame on me!
If you think the TRX is too light for MX that is you opinion and I can respect that. However by reading these forums and on Bluetraxx people don't seem to mind dropping a little coin on modding these things to whatever ridings suits them. That being said mod it to the way you want it and see you on the trails! :macho

hsr
02-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
300ex's are awesome!! its the best quad for people who think the 450r's front end is tooo light

this is true

redrider410
02-26-2004, 08:46 PM
The march issue of Dirt Wheels says that to compensate for the LIGHT front end, Honda put out an after market cinder block for the people who cant keep it on the ground. :)

Hammer trx450r
02-27-2004, 03:52 AM
did that guy HONDA really say "wanna race" and "what is a pro anyway because of some magazine or poster?" :huh And when does anybody's quad turn for them coming out of a corner under power ?

rtyfz450
02-27-2004, 09:39 AM
give me a break,, why does some people with the yfz''s think its cool to come and lecture about what some mag said..

man some people have major problems with insecurity. I was not lecturing. Yes I own a yfz does that make me some plague on humanity? I also own a trx400ex and I like hondas alot I even have an accord v6. My Dad is buying a trx450r I am not even faulting the design I was just saying that the pros need the front end down on the ground keep control under the speeds they come out of the corners. I know how to ride a quad and yes a wheelie out of a corner is a bad thing during a race (try it with a couple riders on both sides of you trying just as hard as you are and see what happens). If you think that there is a way to control steering with the front end light the please explain because this would revolutionize racing. Yes I weigh 150 with gear and I might be a light underfed white boy and does that contribute to the problem? yes. I am not even taking about mags, I have ridden one on at a track, and MY OPINION is the front is light FOR ME. I talked to a guy at Temecula motorsports he said that the owner of Temecula motorsports was getting a roll design +1 swing, then I talked to a couple of guys at the track with 450rs they also said the front was light and they also were getting a +1 swing then, I rode it thought the same thing. Then I went on here and asked Mickey Dunlap and guess what he said the same thing. HMMMM I see a trend here.

Blown 331
02-27-2004, 10:09 AM
I haven't even heard of anyone complain about the front end being light. Mine sure isn't. I have the HRC kit and a 13 tooth sprocket and I think my 2003 400EX with a white brothers pipe did a wheelie easier than the 450R.

joe1l
02-27-2004, 11:29 AM
(here comes some good ol sarcasm)
I give up, I am an owner of a 450R, hence I must know nothing!!! What we really need here is this forum to be about the YFZ or better instead rename the forum to (How The YFZ is Better than the TRX). Someone how Honda has taking a turn for the worse, and produced a quad with no power, that doesn't start, that is tooo tall, doesn't turn, and oh yes the FRONT END is a feather.) People will believe the sky is red, if they read it in a magazine!!

I think the magazines have new ideas now that YFZ has graced us!! Suddenly front ends are way to light!!! Especially compared the ever pefect NEUTRAL YFZ!!

I don't know about you guys, but I learn alot of things here, I'm ordering right now one of the aftermarket billet cylinder blocks to attach to my quad!!! after that i'm getting to situate a second motor into my frame, so that I can catch up to a YFZZZZZZ:eek2: :macho

dn1911
03-01-2004, 07:45 PM
man hatefull group of people! ok not really, how about really opinionated. yea that sounds good. ok now on to my opinion. but first i want to state some things about myself.

i am not a pro
i am probally considered a novice
i have riden several quads a lot
i did but a 450R last week
i have ridden it a lot
it needs geared down for the kind of ridding i do

ok now for my opinion:
the front end is a little lite and does come up easier than i would like it to even with stock gearing. can't wait till i gear it down.
i am planing on adding some weight up front to see if i can improve to balance of my machine to better suite the way i ride it. i believe i am also getting a little better at ridding it and keeping the front down. i am going to play with it and see what happens.
please don't shout at me just my 2 cents.

joe1l
03-01-2004, 07:57 PM
The 450r, believe it or not is the slowest of my 3 quads by far. I'm very accustomed to my very powerful 2strokes, and have learned to keep the front ends down. Maybe I do it inadvertantly but to me, this bike has the best manners by far!

Got nads?
03-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat

I agree with you norrisboat, cause i think the front end is to light as well. All these othe people are jusr biased towards their machines like YFZ owners. I too am goning t put on aftermarket a-arms soon.:blah:

Got nads?
03-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Not tring to start something, but if you don't find the front end a little lite, you must not be riding hard enough!!!!!!

joe1l
03-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Not tring to start something, but if you don't find the front end a little lite, you must not be riding hard enough!!!!!!

You got me there!! I actually don't even ride, it just sits in my garage, next to my other slow quads, just so I can take pictures of it, and write about how good it is on the internet! Or maybe I'm taller than 5'6 and weigh more than 150lbs and the front end stays down on its own!

BigThumper33
03-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Many of us raced or still do race hopped up 400ex's with a lot of motor mods. I know a lot of guys that race with the stock swingarm. The 400ex front end is light, but obviously somehow, someway, perhaps from the powers of above, we the riders of the quads with light front ends find a way to exit that corner under control! It is truely amazing...

Another point out, what does it matter that a pro needs a +1 swingarm to keep the front end down at the speeds they enter the corners, because how many pro yfz riders are going to run a stock swingarm on their pro mx machine? :rolleyes:

Looks to me like either way, your probably going to need a new swingarm...lol

Got nads?
03-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by joe1l
You got me there!! I actually don't even ride, it just sits in my garage, next to my other slow quads, just so I can take pictures of it, and write about how good it is on the internet! Or maybe I'm taller than 5'6 and weigh more than 150lbs and the front end stays down on its own!

I wasn't talking to you, I'm sure the 450R front end does not seem as light as a 350PV. I am talking to the other people who always believe that what they own is the best. Every machine is goning to have some faults. Again, I am not trying to start something, this is just my opinion.:cool:

wertz321
03-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I dont think the front end is light at all,I wiegh 180,my only complaint is the tall first gear,hopefully my 13 tooth sprocket will fix that.

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 04:08 AM
you have to learn the bike and its power. Every bike is diferent thats why we practice and practice. I love that i can FEEL where my optimal traction is. stickers and talk dont make you fast. I see soo many quad riders leaning back way to far so they look like they are going fast. next you'll be saying the brakes are too good in the front

Got nads?
03-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
you have to learn the bike and its power. Every bike is diferent thats why we practice and practice. I love that i can FEEL where my optimal traction is. stickers and talk dont make you fast. I see soo many quad riders leaning back way to far so they look like they are going fast. next you'll be saying the brakes are too good in the front

No, I agree with you, I have onlt ridden my 450r twice, I am still not as comfortable on it as I was on my old 440EX! Sorry to ruffle some feathers, I was just trying to make a point!

450r_rider
03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
I had a great Saturday of riding and still the front coming up was not a problem! If I'm compensating for it, I learned within two days of riding! I also rode Lukester720's with the 39 rear sprocket and liked that very much. Still no feeling of the front end being light..... I weigh 210 and I wonder if that is making the difference. I really expected it to be a problem with posts I've read especially coming from a 250X previously and I just don't experience it.... Also break in was over 1/2 way through the day and full throttle was the norm after that!:blah:

Not that anything else out there isnt as good but I'm totally satisfied with what I've bought!:macho

lukester720
03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Likewise I also had no problems with the frontend being to light. I know for certain that some of the terrain and hills we rode I would of had some trouble out of my 400ex wanting to come up I don't know what is making the difference there but I honestly didn't worry about the frontend coming up on the R.

hitch
03-12-2004, 10:05 PM
hey guy's, when I first road my 450 I was a little bummed at the fact that it handled like somthing that handled bad,if you know what I mean. After I got it from the dealer I thought it should live up to the first the tests by the