PDA

View Full Version : spark knock

woprs50
02-25-2004, 08:53 PM
ok i just bought a 99 440ex it has a ported head and a web midrange cam the guy i bought it from said it has 11.3 compression im running 93 octaine+ octaine booster and it still has a ping under hard acceleration could there be something wrong with the pickup on the flywheel or ive also heard about an advancing woodrift key im wondering if it might have one and i need to replace it with a stocker if so how can i tell if its the stock one or not or is there any other way to retard the timing ? im very mechanically inclined but this is my first 400ex

i also havnt checked the ignition box i dont know if its the stocker or not either

wgbanks
02-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Get yourself a can of VP C12 Race Gas, Start at a 1:1 ratio and slowly try less VP until you can control the knock. I run 3 gal of 93 with 2 gal of VP in a 5 gal jug and it seems to work quite nice. If you are running 11:1 or higher it is going to knock and you are gonna have to use some race gas. Loose the octane booster, you can do a search on here as to it's short commings. All of this brought to you IMHO.

woprs50
02-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by wgbanks
Get yourself a can of VP C12 Race Gas, Start at a 1:1 ratio and slowly try less VP until you can control the knock. I run 3 gal of 93 with 2 gal of VP in a 5 gal jug and it seems to work quite nice. If you are running 11:1 or higher it is going to knock and you are gonna have to use some race gas. Loose the octane booster, you can do a search on here as to it's short commings. All of this brought to you IMHO.

hey thanks for the info hey you live close by wheres the closest place to get the fuel ? and how much does it run per gallon ?