PDA

View Full Version : How much $ for Works triple rates for 400ex from Marcum's?

leel
03-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Since Marcum's doesn't list prices for shocks on their web site, does anyone know how much they charge for triple rate Works shocks (no rezzies) for the 400ex? I think that I'm going to do the shocks for trail riding before the 416 kit...

(I just got my son a used 400ex, and the (stock) front shocks seem to really suck)

Thanks,
Lorrin

trx400ex
03-03-2002, 10:29 AM
they will run around 300$,,,i would recomend getting rezzys, but you might not need them

RideRed04
03-03-2002, 11:02 AM
$319, but we get a 5% discount so they are just over $300.

TRFOXX
03-03-2002, 06:32 PM
I was also in the market for some Works shocks without Ressies.
What dose the Ressy part exactly do? I dont race or do big jumps but do run some extreme trails and hill climbs. Do I need them? And would it be a totally better ride compared to the stockers?

Quadfather
03-03-2002, 07:42 PM
I just ordered some from Marcums. They were $339, that includes shipping and handling. It takes two weeks to get them.

RideRed04
03-03-2002, 08:44 PM
Did you tell him that you where a member of exriders? You get a discount and such. He just quoted me $319 a few days ago. The rezzies add oil capacity, so it is like geting a pringy high capacity oil resivor for your engine, it will run cooler for longer and not fade as fast.

CranMan
03-04-2002, 04:36 PM
Quadfather I'd have to agree on your last point. I ordered almost $550 of misc stuff from them over a month ago, and I just got part of the order today. That was after many calls, and wanting to cancel the order quite a few times as well. They did have legitimate back order problems on a few things I ordered, but they also have a service problem, that is they don't follow up on calls very well, to put it nicely. I gave them my business for supporting EXRiders two times, for almost $650 worth of stuff. But I'm afraid I'm going to stick with Rocky Mtn. or somewhere else in the future. P.S. Terry if you're reading this, sorry man, you could help yourself by maybe explaining why we're not getting that great of service.....

cbrown400ex
03-05-2002, 07:52 AM
I too try and give Terry my business. I bought somewhere around $1500 worth of stuff from him in the past 2 months. And for the most part have been completely satisfied. Something I have started to notice is several price discrepancies. I have gotten several different prices for the same product(I think this may have to do with talking to two different people there). I have also noticed that people on here tend to pay different prices for the same product. I think you hit the nail on the head about being too busy. It does seem to take a few days to get your stuff. I think this has to do with him having to get everything from his distributors. To me the thing that saves him is his prices. With the free shipping(which is huge on tires,wheels, and other large parts) he is consistently cheaper even with a few discrepancies. However, this looks very bad on a business. Also the shipping issues are a concern(this has everything to do with how busy they are I'm sure). My intent is not to start a war with Marcums. Because I think it is great that they support this site. Just trying to head off a big conflict. CJ

ChadEXer
03-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Maybe Terry just dont like ya'll. just kidding. I have bought a lot from Terry and got perfect service everytime. I will buy EVERYTHING from him in the future. I ordered some wheels and tires from him the other day and told him I NEED them by Sat this weekend for the drag races. They were on my porch when I came home Fri!!!!

CranMan
03-05-2002, 09:02 AM
That's funny, it took me a month to get 2 bandits on rims. They did have a problem getting the steel rims I wanted, and I ended up getting aluminum rims, but the point was it took a month and a bunch of calls. I also ordered a XR400 cam and some airbox vents at the same time( over a month ago now) and still have not recieved that stuff. I guess I'm just the readheaded stepchild here. (no offense to readheaded stepchildern!!)

03-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Hey guys what are we looking for here- GREAT PRICES- QUICK DELIVERY- OR BOTH ?????????????????????????????????????

Just think about how most everyone who sells ATV parts gouges prices and call themselves mailorder or discount! When we do find a company that will treat us right we also have to accept some trade offs.

Basic economics will alert you to the fact that inventory and people (you know the ones who would be able to return you calls sooner) cost money. Guess where that money comes from. straight from your pocket is right.

If you are looking for a fair price or even a bargain then ask for one. Many of the people supplying our industry are small outfits with some having only 1 or 2 people period. But not all will give you a "good deal" anyhow but especially if you do not ask. There are a few suppliers that will discount everything all the time and that is always to our advantage but you have to remember the inventory thing and when a distributor works with a limited inventory he (and us) are at the mercy of the manufacturer. This is even more complicated by the fact that many of the manufacturers are small as well.

I have had both good and bad experiences with large and small suppliers alike. I think that when you call to either check on an item or place an order you have some responsibility to check into what you are being told and what is most important to you. If you need the item by Friday and this is more important than price then you had better make sure that the item is in stock and that it will and does ship today. If price is your main thing then call around for the best $$$ and know your saving some $$ and maybe trading some time.

I would suggest that anyone who is looking to make a purchase do some homework and get the info needed. That way you will not be dissapointed later.

Just my.02-1/2

PS. when you keep calling over and over remember that this is the person who is now talking with you rather than spending this time to actually get your (or someone elses) order out.

ChadEXer
03-05-2002, 09:45 AM
When I call Terry I get the Best price and the BEST service:D

CranMan
03-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Ok thanks for the lesson on how mail order works. I have placed many orders online and through mail order. Just for the record on all the stuff I ordered from Marcums, I just called them too see if they could MATCH the best prices I had found elsewhere. I didn't ask them to BEAT the prices.(by the way the prices INCLUDED shipping) I was only trying to give them BUSINESS. I think I know when I'm getting poor service. Dang man, I'm over a month into the ordering process and I got the first part of my order yesterday. I have held my tounge, and kept my comments to myself, but c'mon let's be real here. What's considered reasonable? When I call and ask for the in-stock stuff to be sent ahead of he back-ordeed stuff (2 weeks ago)and then call back a week later and they STILL havent shipped anything, that's poor service.

cbrown400ex
03-05-2002, 10:07 AM
I have also recieved great service from Terry. But The price differences I have started to notice make me wonder about his business practices.

440EX4me - I think the number 1 thing we all want is a fair deal. Price comes in a close second. But that does not stop me from wanting everything out of a transaction. We all know the feeling of being riped off on prices and shipping charges. Terry does an excellent job when it comes to those things. I don't won't to be told one thing and then me told something else or read where someone paid a different price. We should all pay the same price. And I am sure this is a very difficult task. Exp for the samller shops to deal with. I have a degree in economics so I too know a little something about this. Inventory doesn't necessarily always cost money. For instance, most manufactors or distributors give you a price break for buying a certain quantity of goods. Therefore you would be able to make a larger profit per item sold. There is however the opportunity cost of the cash you have sitting in inventory. So it is very simple. If you can make more in profit than an investment of the cash(needed to buy the extra quantity) you need to buy the larger quantity. With Marcums I don't think this is the issue. Maybe the lack of inventory is because of space or capital reasons. People to run the phones, stock, etc.. always cost money. That is why I tend to overlook the missed call backs, etc...
You did make one excellent point you need to know ahead of time what to expect from a shop or site. It is no big secret that it may take a week or two to get your stuff from Marcums. But that is the place where you will probably get the best deal(price and shipping combined). A place like nacs or Rocky Mountain will ship very quickly if they have the product in stock and they keep a lot more in stock. So your chances of getting something quicker will be better from these types of places. But you will probably pay a higher price. It's all about priorities.

Cranman - I think you have a legitimate complaint. I would be upset if I was going through what you are. I have heard of these things happening and that is why I think there is a problem brewing in the near future. People will pay $20 more for something if they get better service. Marcums has always done me right. But I am not naive enough(exp after some of the stuff I have read and heard about) to think that everyone has had this same experience.

CJ

03-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Terry has treated me great also,,,he doesn't have everything in stock like Rockymountain or nacs,,but nacs is higher than a cat's back on almost everything.

I hate to see people bash Terry but yeah I'm thinking he's a pretty busy guy tryin his best to keep most everyone happy. All I can suggest is go somewere else,,I get the stuff I order in a very timely manner,,no wait at all,,,,shrug shoulders..:confused:

ChadEXer
03-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Terry has treated me great also,,,he doesn't have everything in stock like Rockymountain or nacs,,but nacs is higher than a cat's back on almost everything.

I hate to see people bash Terry but yeah I'm thinking he's a pretty busy guy tryin his best to keep most everyone happy. All I can suggest is go somewere else,,I get the stuff I order in a very timely manner,,no wait at all,,,,shrug shoulders..:confused:
I agree!!

CranMan
03-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Ok I think we can all agree that Marcum's probably has great intentions, and does a great job most of the time. And I still have second thoughts everytime I post something semi-negative. But I can assure all of you that say" Marcums is the Best ever!!" I am having a ridiculousy hard time with this order, and I think it's only fair to present the GOOD with the BAD so at least people know what to expect.

Mitch400EX
03-05-2002, 12:55 PM
I just ordered works tripple rates with rezzies and preload adjustment from marcums, all for under $500. Their service was very good, my only complaint was that it took almost three weeks to get them shipped to me. It is hard to get around this when ordering shocks though because they're custom built to your specs. I would strongly recomend going through Marcums for shocks. excellent service, almost 100 bucks less than works factory price.

02 Red Rider
03-05-2002, 02:55 PM
I have not had a lot of experience with Marcum's (1 order just last week). But my 1 experience was good, I ordered my Yosh pipe $237.45 to my door, Terry told me that I would see it in three days which left me a little skeptical since I placed the order on a Wed afternoon (meaning a Sat delivery). But I thought no big deal i'll see it Monday. 1:30 Sat afternoon DING DONG it's Fed EX with a big tall box and it has my name on it!! I was pretty happy because I was planning to ride Sunday and it gave me an opportunity to jet and dial in the carb. However if I were to start having problems with Marcum's with any future orders I would definately pay the shipping and the 5% to 25% more to get my orders in a timely manner.

Sometimes it is more important to get your parts fast not cheap, you just need to decide what is more important for you.

Just my .02

Jason

RideRed04
03-05-2002, 04:22 PM
I ordered my tag bars from him and got them in 4 buisness days, I didnt even tell him I was in a hurry. The box was unharmed, and he was very friendly in his e-mails. Just remember, he isnt really making a whole lot of money off of us, so cut him some slack. He is providing a service to the atving community to help us out. Maybe if you have some extra cash, it wouldnt hurt to give back...just a thought.

03-05-2002, 06:54 PM
OOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOO not again.:)

I hope that no one took any offense to my previuos post.

the simple fact is that not everyone on here looks at all the facts and it does not matter if it is basic economics or not.

I know what quadfather and cranman are going through and it is real easy to get pissed when your spending your money and dont even get a phone call, not to mention what you were originally promissed.

I have a fair amount of experience in distribution and one very hard fact is that when things get crazy busy the BS flows in many directions.

I have spoken with almost every place you guys have mentioned and all seem to have honest intentions. Some just seem able to handle the busy times better than others.

All in all if this was happening to me right now I would be just as angry.