PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch Slipping HELP!!!!

DantheEXman
02-25-2004, 02:47 PM
I just got my 416 back and had a barnett clutch kit installed. The engine runs great, but it is not getting any power to the wheels. It revs high and quick but almost no acceleration. I hit 5th gear in a hurry and it only goes about 45mph tops.

I think its my clutch slipping. Barnett is crap. So friday I am going to put the stock steels aend fibers back in and leave the barnett springs. Should this fix the problem? Or is it something more.

I also switched from synthetic oil to non-synthetic oil when the motor was rebuilt. The same time the clutch was put in. Is this the problem also?

Please help.

02-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman

I also switched from synthetic oil to non-synthetic oil when the motor was rebuilt. The same time the clutch was put in. Is this the problem also?

Please help. wow...I have heard from almost everyone that this is what you shouldn't have done....you are supposed to start a engine with a nonsynthetic & then go to synthetic after break in...you may have messed something up. :(

DantheEXman
02-25-2004, 03:26 PM
I did, It is nonsynthetic now. It hasnt had syntheric in the engine since it was rebuilt. I only had synthetic in it when it was a 400.

02-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Did you soak the plates in oil before you installed them??

Also are you sure you have the clutch cable adjusted right?? You might have it set were the plates don't compress against each other if your cable is adjusted too tight.

DantheEXman
02-25-2004, 03:28 PM
It may be confusing.

Before rebuild = synthetic

After rebuild = non synthetic

So why is it slipping?

DantheEXman
02-25-2004, 03:29 PM
The cable is fine. Its really confusing me. And yes we soaked them in oil.

shamisc
02-25-2004, 04:49 PM
My guess is tight cable or something is not put back together right.

DantheEXman
02-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Like I said, the cable is fine. It just slips like i was driving on ice when i go to accelerate fast. It has me confused.

DantheEXman
02-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Bump... Help.

Could the last friction plate be installed wrong? Isnt it supposed to be different from the rest? Or would that not cause it.

It mostly slips in the high rpms.

I cant be the only one with this problem... Someone must know whats wrong.

Aceman
02-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Did you torque your clutch springs down properly?
If you oiled your fibers/steels, have your cable adjusted properly, and are running non-synthetic I don't see what else could be causing your clutch to slip. A clutch isn't very complex.

I remember when I had my clutch replaced a long time ago the mechanic at the Honda dealership said to stay away from Barnett because all he hears about is the problems people have with their clutches.

Your absolutely positive the clutch is completely disengaged when the lever is released?

UglyMotha™
02-25-2004, 08:29 PM
does your oil smell like fried clutch, that's goin to be a dead giveaway, but my guess is since you had were wound out in 5th already you've done gone and fried the clutch, so your probably goin to have to start over, pull your side case and start back tracking cause obviously somthings not right and we can't blindly diagnose it

shamisc
02-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
does your oil smell like fried clutch, that's goin to be a dead giveaway, but my guess is since you had were wound out in 5th already you've done gone and fried the clutch, so your probably goin to have to start over, pull your side case and start back tracking cause obviously somthings not right and we can't blindly diagnose it

Well said!

02-26-2004, 07:49 AM
May I recommend a 8 plate setup from GT thunder or sparks..:)

DantheEXman
02-26-2004, 04:31 PM
aha. Thanks anyway Rico. Iv spent enough money on that Barnett clutch. It burned up in the first 2 minutes (no lie) I rode it after it was put in. Bad clutch or not, It shouldent have done that. Something is wrong and I dont know what. Im putting the stock clutch on tomorrow. Thanks anyway.