PDA

View Full Version : ELKA ZPS vs. PEP ZPS

slosh13
02-25-2004, 01:48 PM
I was kinda curious if anyone has ever compared the "big rezzy" PEP zps's ( front and rear )and the Elka Quad rate hi-lo speed zps's (front and rear ). A lot of local guys around me have been showing up to NEMX, and indoor track near andover ohio, with the Big rezzy PEP's for their YFZ's . They have no complaints with the shocks at all, saying they are awesome. The setup for them they told me was these shocks with either the laeger pro-trax or the JB LT aarms. But I havent seen any of the Elkas. Just got me kind of wondering why they all go with PEP instead of Elka...I thought the Elkas were good?:huh

INFANTRY RACING
02-25-2004, 02:04 PM
get on your flame retardiant suit.. you might need it;)

if i had the time i'd get peps. elkas are ok

02-25-2004, 03:58 PM
I'd say it's a monkey see monkey do type of deal. If everyone had elkas you'd probably be asking why everyone at your track runs Elkas and not PEP.:cool:

I'd say if you wanna race with aftermarket shocks in the year 2004 go with Elkas.:D

slosh13
02-25-2004, 05:20 PM
get on your flame retardiant suit.. you might need it;)

Well i guess i kinda just walked into this one didnt I :p Well the question i think i was trying to get accross was which of the two shocks was a better deal for the money....And which performs the best out of the two

Greg Z
02-25-2004, 05:48 PM
W/O A DOUBT PEP!!!!

Tommy 17
02-25-2004, 05:53 PM
same money... pretty much the same performance...

actually pep was cheaper then my new elkas... but there was the 6month - a year waiting list for pep... my elkas were here in 2 weeks...

most people just don't want to wait for pep... the shocks perform about the same... its like a fmf vs hmf vs lrd pipe...

INFANTRY RACING
02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
same money... pretty much the same performance...

actually pep was cheaper then my new elkas... but there was the 6month - a year waiting list for pep... my elkas were here in 2 weeks...

most people just don't want to wait for pep... the shocks perform about the same... its like a fmf vs hmf vs lrd pipe...

i was told 6-8 weeks when i order my old peps and i got them in about 10 weeks. i think people blow the wait time up a little...also matters what time of the year you order them

SRH
02-25-2004, 09:40 PM
i tghink peps probaly perform a lil better but elka is a longer lastting shock and the internals are a lil better, if you can afford to have peps serviced more then youd probaly like them better, plusher ride..

bradley300
02-25-2004, 11:32 PM
i think unless you are a pro level racer that can push these shocks to the breaking point, you wont be able to tell a difference

Chef
02-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

Yea, except the HMF and LRD really are better than the FMF.:p

Pappy
02-26-2004, 06:19 AM
my elka's preform as well has my 2 sets of pep's ever did. get what shock you want and be happy with it.

Tommy 17
02-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
i was told 6-8 weeks when i order my old peps and i got them in about 10 weeks. i think people blow the wait time up a little...also matters what time of the year you order them

i called 2 places about pep... both told me 6 months if i'm lucky:o

i couldn't get ahold of baldwin to see... but i figured it would be the same...

jmoney45
02-26-2004, 02:04 PM
right now baldwin says about 6 to 8 weeks for PEPs. everytime I call they answer on second or third ring.

cdalejef
02-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i tghink peps probaly perform a lil better but elka is a longer lastting shock and the internals are a lil better, if you can afford to have peps serviced more then youd probaly like them better, plusher ride.. It has nothing todo with brand, either can be set up for a plush or stiff ride.

INFANTRY RACING
02-26-2004, 03:30 PM
how are elkas longer lasting shocks. seems everyone blows the seals in them atleast once a year. most peps are used for race applications which is why they get serviced so offten. elkas should require the same maintainence if put through the same use.

Tommy 17
02-26-2004, 04:00 PM
i learned one thing with my shocks...

i went and got MX set up shocks on my old elkas... super ruff in hard things... didn't know why... valved my weight... they worked great on hard hits but soft stuff it was beating me up...

i rode pappys gncc set up pep and it was super soft and 40lbs over my weight!!! i was like well mayb thats my problem... the type of valving... rode a set of identical elkas to me the same weight except gncc valving and it was totaly perfect!!! very smooth in the ruff stuff... my problem was that i had mx when i needed gncc!!

i think most people set them up for mx and thats why they are really ruff in the slow stuff... my new ones are gncc

wilkin250r
02-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I'd say it's a monkey see monkey do type of deal. If everyone had elkas you'd probably be asking why everyone at your track runs Elkas and not PEP.:cool:

I'd disagree with this.

I don't see anybody running Works, but I don't have to ask why because I already know the answer, and it's certainly not "monkey see monkey do".

cdalejef
02-27-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
how are elkas longer lasting shocks. seems everyone blows the seals in them atleast once a year. most peps are used for race applications which is why they get serviced so offten. elkas should require the same maintainence if put through the same use. Thats not true....we very seldom get Elkas in that have blown seals. I for one have never blown a seal in an Elka.

02-27-2004, 09:25 AM
I"m goin on 1.5 years on elka's and no blown seals. Sounds like another cousins, uncles, brother heard about a seal blown on his sisters, boyfriends blaster..:rolleyes: All the negative comments I hear about elkas are problems that occured about 2 years ago anyway.

4TraxRider
02-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I've got Elka's on My Z, and have no complaints about them at all.

INFANTRY RACING
02-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I"m goin on 1.5 years on elka's and no blown seals. Sounds like another cousins, uncles, brother heard about a seal blown on his sisters, boyfriends blaster..:rolleyes: All the negative comments I hear about elkas are problems that occured about 2 years ago anyway. sorry but they are my shocks:rolleyes:

Greg Z
02-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Rico and Jeff dont make me get started on this topic again :devil: :macho :eek2:

j/p ill rest it

toomeyshee87
02-29-2004, 08:00 PM
get peps, or elkas, or axis or anything ya want. all i know is that i got peps and i think there the best for the money