PDA

View Full Version : Hot Start Lever

Blown 331
02-25-2004, 01:47 PM
When you use the hot start lever what is actually happening? I know it goes into the carb but what does it actually do? I was told it adds fuel, is that right? Why does this bike need one and not others?

benwa450r
02-25-2004, 01:53 PM
It does not add fuel, it leans it out to start better hot. It is actually an air circuit that opens up to lean it out. Hope this helps.

Blown 331
02-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Cool, I was just wondering why it needed one. I wonder why you couldn't just open the trottle a bit when it is started hot?

oldsandman
02-25-2004, 02:27 PM
If you open the throttle you will add fuel (richen). The hot start creates a lean conditition to help hot starting. Think of it as a choke in reverse.

2004TRX450R
02-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Yup it leans it out. When you give it throttle the accelerateor pump squirts fuel in and makes it richer. The hot start allows more air in to make it start easier. You NEVER want to give if throttle when starting it unless you want it to kick back and toss you over the bars. I have seen these new 4 strokes kick back so hard they brake the centercases from slamming into the stop so hard along with brakeing the kickstarter shaft in half. I have seen more YZs and WRs do it than CRFs but I have hear of a CRF or two that has done it as well. No TRX's yet though but it is basicly the same so it is possible.

joe1l
02-25-2004, 07:13 PM
How hot does it have to get before its necessary to use the hot start. Its about 30 degrees here in NJ, but I had the bike running for a while, and everytime I went to started, it started on the first kick w/o the hot start. Now the kickbacks sound scary, I've had my big bore 350PV with high compression kick me back really bad!! i barely could walk the next day. I do not want a 96 mm piston kicking me back, because i won't have an ankle left. How can I avoid the kickbacks beside not holding down the throttle.:huh

r450rr
02-25-2004, 07:25 PM
lol.. heres what i do,, i avoid giving it any gas what so ever when i start it and i give it one full kick and get my leg the hell out of the way just incase.. but it starts real easy so i dont have to worry about upping my chances of a backlash by having to kick it a hundred times

Hammer trx450r
02-25-2004, 07:27 PM
thats why the manual tells you to turn bars to the left when kicking ouch. wait till 90 degrees and humid

2004TRX450R
02-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I'd imagine the engine would have to be pretty hot. It is for when the engine is hot not the outside temp(just in case someone was getting confused). I've rearely had to use it but it seems to start a little easier when I do when I've been rideing it for awhile.

As for avoiding kickbacks just don't give it throttle and you shouldn't have any problems.

Hammer trx450r
02-26-2004, 04:21 AM
but i think the engine gets hotter in 90 degree weather does it not

Hammer trx450r
02-26-2004, 04:25 AM
let me rephrase, after you ride in the winter the motor cools very fast hence no need for hot start. But let that bike sit in 95 degree sun for 5 minutes after an hour of hard riding. Thats my 2 cents so i think it has everything to do with outside temp

2004TRX450R
02-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Ya you are correct but still it is engine temp not ambient temp. It will just cool faster in cooler temps so it would need to be used less.

Evan400ex
02-26-2004, 09:15 PM
The kickback thing reminds me of my old 87' 250x. That use to leave huge bruises on my shin and about threw me off!:D I have been looking at the new 450 so I hope it's not as bad.:devil:

dn1911
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
i have exspirenced some mild kick back on mine and yes probally my fault but lets not forget the automatic compression release. i like to kick my starter on ce or twice real easy and slow and you will feel the comp. release and then back to top and stomp hard and vroom its runnin

450RHEAVEN
03-01-2004, 09:00 PM
MY FRIEND BROKE HIS CASE AT THE GNCC HE IN FLORIDA THIS WEEKEND.IT KICKBACKED.WARR. WONT FIX IT.

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by 450RHEAVEN
MY FRIEND BROKE HIS CASE AT THE GNCC HE IN FLORIDA THIS WEEKEND.IT KICKBACKED.WARR. WONT FIX IT.

I guess he shouldn't have been giveing it any throttle huh?! I know Honda has good will warranted a CRF or two that did that. I'd make the dealer try to get it warrantied. There are routs they can go to get it done if they need to but they have to be willing to actually work for the customer to get it done. Some dealers won't do that.

dhines
03-02-2004, 07:17 AM
I'm guessing that in order to break your case you'd have to slip your foot off the kickstarter and let it kick back without any resistance? Or does it come back so hard that it genuinely throws your leg off?

I too had an '87X with a high compression piston that used to abuse the h$ll out of me. It kicked back just about every time you tried to turn it over and was an absolute monster to get started. That's the number one reason I have stayed away from the R. I would hate to think of what an extra 200cc's could do. :(

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 09:05 AM
well if you give it any throttle when you start it or even blip the throttle before you start it at all the accelerator pump will dump a bunch of fuel in it. If you don't kick it through hard enough it can fire the fuel and kick back. If it does that WATCH OUT!!!!! It can kick back hard enough to brake the cases. I have heard of one or two CRFs that have done that and have seen a few YZs and WRs do that. If you start it right there is no worries at all though. It is REALLY easy to start and won't kick back at you unless you do it wrong.

hsr
03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
well if you give it any throttle when you start it or even blip the throttle before you start it at all the accelerator pump will dump a bunch of fuel in it. If you don't kick it through hard enough it can fire the fuel and kick back. If it does that WATCH OUT!!!!! It can kick back hard enough to brake the cases. I have heard of one or two CRFs that have done that and have seen a few YZs and WRs do that. If you start it right there is no worries at all though. It is REALLY easy to start and won't kick back at you unless you do it wrong.

So what happens if you accidentally hit the gas b4 you start the quad, and there is gas in the combustion chamber? You're pretty much screwed then? It's either going to kick back like a *******, or it's not going to start at all??? Do you have to let it sit for a little while or what?

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
its fine then because its not in mist form. but if it is excessive than some slow kicks before you kick it should disperse the fuel