PDA

View Full Version : HRC or Hot Cams???

400ex4ever
02-25-2004, 10:09 AM
I was surfing around looking for some aftermarket parts and found this about the new Hot Cams coming out.

Stage 1
Intake 9.6 mm lift/237 duration
Exhaust 8.7 mm lift/268 duration

Stage 2
Intake 10.1 mm lift/248 duration
Exhaust 8.7 mm lift/268 duration

Now for my question. Can someone explain to me the diffence between the two and under which one of these two would the HRC cam follow under? I would assume that one is better for speed and one is better for lowend power. Just curious how the HRC cam rates among them.

Blown 331
02-25-2004, 10:22 AM
I already have the HRC kit in mine but I'm wondering this too. I found the HRC specs but I can't remember where, I'll try to find it. It may have been in the HRC book.
On the hot cams the only difference between the two is on the intake side. Yeah, I know big discovery there. Anyone can see that but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

kazpr
02-25-2004, 11:14 AM
What is the URL to the hotcams site?? Thanks Scott

400ex4ever
02-25-2004, 11:57 AM
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/

I took a look and it doesn't even list the 450 yet. I got the info from here.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/

Just click on the different stages and it will list the lift/duration for both cams.

Anyone find what the HRC cam specs???

Varmit57
02-25-2004, 01:28 PM
I have the Stage 2 and it Rocks!:D :D :D

I talked to them and the Stage 1 is for a ton of lowend torque. He said if that is all you want to do then the stage 1 is great!

I'm planing on porting mine so they(HotCams) said the Stage 2 would be better!

Can't wait to get to the track on sat. to try it out!!!

benwa450r
02-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Here are some cam specs for those of you who want to know.

stock 450r- 450R HRC kit- Stock CRF450
Intake
opens 10 BTDC- 20 BTDC- 15 BTDC
Intake
closes 40 ABDC- 60 ABDC- 50 ABDC
Exhaust
Opens 40 BBDC 55 BBDC 55 BBDC
Exhaust
Closes 10 ATDC 25 ATDC 15 ATDC

The numbers are degrees
ATDC= After Top Dead Center
ABDC= After Bottom Dead Center
BTDC= Before Top Dead Center
BBDC= Before Bottome Dead Center

Blown 331
02-25-2004, 02:06 PM
What about lift and duration?

kazpr
02-25-2004, 02:11 PM
So to a dummy like me the stage2 cam would be better than the HRC cam if I plan on port work and pipe set?? Thanks :confused:

kazpr
02-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Just got off the phone with jason and the LRD cams will be ready in about 2 weeks. Pipe, cam and intake over 50hp to rear wheels he said. Sounds nice!

2004TRX450R
02-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kazpr
Just got off the phone with jason and the LRD cams will be ready in about 2 weeks. Pipe, cam and intake over 50hp to rear wheels he said. Sounds nice!

I'll belive that when I see it. I never take what a manufacturer says to heart. That sounds like a huge increase compared to the dyno runs I've seen so far. But hey if it does then that will be cool! I think to get to 50hp at the wheels you are going to be needing some head work as well and maybe a better carb but we will see. I've been wrong before.

4fiddyR
02-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by kazpr

What do you mean INTAKE??? Head work, or new carb or what?

kazpr
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Not really sure was assuming he meant Filter but who knows seems like alot of HP. Guessing in 2 weeks we should have alot more details.

robby26wi
02-25-2004, 11:15 PM
sparks is getting 52 at the rear tires with there cam,40mm carb,there exhaust,high comp piston and a ported head...

2004TRX450R
02-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Well I've got an HRC cam, ported head, will be getting a full exhaust system (probably Duncan) once JE get's some pistons out I'll have one of those. So I guess the only other thing I need is an FCR carb! I would still like to see those 50+hp dynos.

hotex
03-05-2004, 07:26 AM
The HRC cam is huge! Both in terms of duration and lift. Honda seen fit to put smaller intake valves in the TRX compared to the CRF and this along with a bunch of other engine and ignition and carburetion changes has turned the motor into a tractor engine that doles out huge torque at low rpm. Perfect for trail riding when point-and-shoot riding tactics are employed. The installation of the HRC cam kills the bottom end and gives more upper mid and top end pull. Adding a high compression piston helps but can't make up the for the loss of the bottom, too much overlap in the design.

The Stage 1 will make more bottom and mid. How much depends on how well set up it is. The Stage 2 will make good power everywhere although, not as much bottom as the Stage 1 and not as much top as the HRC. And again, the amount of power you make depends on the other mods you have and how well dialed in the carburetion is.

Hope this helps. There is a lot of speculation going on and it's hard to determine what will do what and where. I think this TRX450R is one of the nicest quads on the market.

Tony