PDA

View Full Version : 450 r or yfz ???

yellowrider
02-25-2004, 05:30 AM
i'm stuck in the middle..

cant make a decision

i got both dealers to come off their price

yfz - around 6400.00
honda - 6200 and i think that is all he seemed like he wont come done another penny..

so for 2 hundred more dollars i could get a yammi...
or save 2 hundred and get me a slip on while i buy the honda...
and new front and back sproket so i can gear it down around 2 teeth...

the honda felt like it had some balls when you nailed the throatle i mean it left the black marks on the black top...

so what i was wondering if i geared it down would it be just as good as the yammi with the same top speed..?????

what would you do and why ???

i think the reason why the honda wants to come up so much is because you have to get on it all the time with those airplane gears.. and i was thinking if it was geaared a little bit lower it would be just like the old 400ex with more balls..

either way i am getting one of the 2 and the next two weeks

Blown 331
02-25-2004, 07:02 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93850

JWhite
02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Yeah, this is getting old. There are a lot of posts here on this already. Just go look at them. Bottomiline is you just need to figure out which machine is best for you. They are both great machines with different stongpoints.

This thread should be locked. lol

ATC83
02-25-2004, 09:14 AM
i agree this thread should be locked. these threads always start a flaming session. I think it really boils down to what kind of riding you do. If you want the best sport bike made buy the Honda and if you want a full on race machine buy the Yamaha. Each are cabable of doing both sport and racing but they each do one type of riding better. As for the quality issue, the are both well made bikes. In my opinion they are like works of art.

yellowrider
02-25-2004, 10:19 AM
i dont agree that this thread should be locked!!!

anyhow give me some answer everything that has been said in that post dont really answer my question

how good is it on hill climbs when it is geared down

or how is it when you add a pipe help me out ..

:D

atvrider12764
02-25-2004, 10:22 AM
you could have just asked all of this is the post i made that already has loads of answers.

Barely legal
02-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I have not ridden a TRX but have owned a YFZ for 6 months and have a lot of time on it. To me, it's exactly what I want for trail and MX. The fun factor is HIGH and I love this quad. It's scary fast, handles well and the suspension is excellent.
My Z400 actually beat me a lot worse suspension wise. I was very scared the YFZ would be harsh but could not believe how plush it rode when I tested it out. I was so amazed that I loaded it up on the spot.
The seat is not bad at all. It could be plusher but you won't even notice it after one ride. It's pretty much like a dirt bike seat but wider. You can move around on it better. I can go for 8 hours and not even think about it. My Z400 actually cut the circulation off to my legs a bit from the way the seat was shaped.
I think those are the major complaints against the YFZ, but when you ride one a lot you see that they don't add up to a problem.
The ergos are tighter and made for a smaller rider. I am 6'5" and by raising the bar 1" for $40 and getting nerfs that dropped the pegs by 3/4", which we all buy anyway, it's perfect.
The power is killer for about $300 in mods.
And why not have electric start when you need it? For the trails and hills here, it's almost a must.
I won't part with mine. I was holding out for a TRX but I do not like what they did with it the CRF motor so I went out and bought the week I heard the stats.

ATC83
02-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by yellowrider
i dont agree that this thread should be locked!!!

anyhow give me some answer everything that has been said in that post dont really answer my question

how good is it on hill climbs when it is geared down

or how is it when you add a pipe help me out ..

:D

The Yamaha is by far the cheapest of the two bikes to get power out of. It only requires three things to get the engine performance up to the level to win a GNC National; a pipe and header ($400-500), a pro flow kit($100-150), and new jets and needle($20) . That's all it takes to turn the engine into a fire breathing monster. The Honda takes alot more work and is much more expensive to gett National level power out of. It needs a piston, valves, valve springs, cam and an FCR carb(one might even argue that it needs a high rev ignition since it revs out to about 1000 rpm less than the YFZ) in addition to a pipe, pro flow kit and jetting. In addition the bike it to light in the front and all the top pros agree even for trail riding it needs a longer swingarm. I hope this helps out.

r450rr
02-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
i agree this thread should be locked. these threads always start a flaming session. I think it really boils down to what kind of riding you do. If you want the best sport bike made buy the Honda and if you want a full on race machine buy the Yamaha. Each are cabable of doing both sport and racing but they each do one type of riding better. As for the quality issue, the are both well made bikes. In my opinion they are like works of art.

shouldnt the yfz be better dubbed the better trail, bike i mean not just going by what mags say, think about it, the yfz has the electric start, a battery, and the lower gears for the tight woods.. should it be the trail master. just my opinion, no flammin, i would just like to here everyone opinions about it.

ATC83
02-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
shouldnt the yfz be better dubbed the better trail, bike i mean not just going by what mags say, think about it, the yfz has the electric start, a battery, and the lower gears for the tight woods.. should it be the trail master. just my opinion, no flammin, i would just like to here everyone opinions about it.

The reason I said the TRX is a better trail bike is because the Yamaha has much more agressive ergonomics that are designed for clossed coarse motocross. It's hard to develope a riding position that is good for both trail riding and motocross and Yamaha didn't try. The YFZ was desinged for one thing and that is winning a twenty lap moto. I'm not saying that it can't be addapted to GNCC because it can. It's alot eisier to make the YFZ into a GNCC machine than the TRX because of its great handling power and gearing from the factory. The TRX can be made into a good GNCC machine but it takes alot more money and effort and you can't put an electric start on it which puts it at an instant disadvantage. I'm not sure what Honda was trying to do with the TRX. The bike falls inbetween a motocross bike and a trail bike and it doesn't do either well. Hopefully they will make some changes to it in the coming years.

joe1l
02-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Its funny how many people pass judgement on just what the magazines said! Maybe if some people actually stopped sitting behind the computer, and sat behind these quads, they would have a better non biased idea. So far, most people who have ridden or owned both quads, tend to favor the honda...especially after mods have been done!

jmoney45
02-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
The bike falls inbetween a motocross bike and a trail bike and it doesn't do either well.

Please elaborate on why it doesn't do either well. Granted it may not be the racer the yfz is off the showroom floor, but you make it sound like a second rate quad.

joe1l
02-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Well the yfz is geared much much lower, therefore it feels alot faster! But if you gear down the 450r, you will not have any complaints!

r450rr
02-25-2004, 07:19 PM
well all i can say is i bought the 450R i love it.. no regrets what so ever, in anything, they couldnt have made it any easier to start(even though its kick),, i can start my 450R faster than i can my ex.(an thats a fact), i love the shocks. i hit sum jumps the other day and landed flat and they worked real well.. i myself like the gearing on it stock.. i will change it for the drags this summer. but its good once u get used to it. and i did race a yfz the other day on pavement and got him on top end everytime. in the short drags we was dead even. so i dont know why everyone dubbs the yfz the faster thing ever..we did switch and race to, an same results everytime. the brakes are the best ever, so i dont know why people have give up on the r.. i cant believe what some people say on here and how much they hate it and how different it is from the yfz.THERE BOTH GOOD EVERYONE JUST SHUTUP SAYING honda dropped the ball...sorry about that but i overreacted.. just tired of when someone asks which one they should get.. ignorant people start basically saying. dont buy the honda unlesss u want a trail bike.. and its going to cost so much to get it even with the yfz,, thats all lies.. pick a color there both good and fast an have good shocks and ergos...

Shuee_400
02-25-2004, 07:36 PM
If i were you id just try to get my hands on both of them one way or another and see what you think everyone is different.........

hsr
02-25-2004, 07:48 PM
What's the big deal with the gearing on the 450r??? People act like it's the end of the world. Drop down to a smaller front sprocket for anywhere b/w $15 and $50...problem solved.

BigThumper33
02-25-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm curious how not having electric start kills a quad for GNCC? Last time I checked, 250R's were kicking arse without electric start....soooo theres a difference?

Stock for stock, the engines are putting out nearly the same horsepower. Now you can make a yfz a "gnc national motor" by putting a intake, and exhaust on it? Where are the dyno sheets that show a TRX with the same mods, not putting out nearly as much as this glorified yfz.

Now it needs a piston, valves, valve springs, cam, and a new carb just to match a yfz with a pipe and intake? Give me a break... :rolleyes: