PDA

View Full Version : Keep 250R or 400ex?

seven
02-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Well I am the new owner of a 2000 400ex. I pick it up tomorow. It is showroom condition, Literally! The guy only got to ride it a handfull of times. My delema is if I should put all My 250R stuff on the 400 or sell it for a profit? I would ask 3400$ for it and like I said its as good as new. My R is a set up very well but I think I want a 4 stroke. I know the motor needs help in the power department but I have all the good suspension for it. I am just a lttle nervous going from my 310R to a 400ex. I would do a stage 2 cam, 426 kit,port job and a carb to the 400. Any opinions would be helpful.

310Rduner
02-24-2004, 10:19 PM
If you are interested in power, and how hard a motor can rip your arms off, or acceleration there is no way a 400ex can do this for you short of a profession 440+. And after you made a huge bore 400ex, it would be easier for someone on an R to just buy a bigger cylinder, or a more radical pipe and you would be the slower bike once again, and still spending more on it. You can get more power out of a 250R than you can ever get out of a 400ex engine platform.

Greg Z
02-24-2004, 10:47 PM
if you do a 426 kit carb port job cams pipe all that goodies.. you will be running around 42 -/+ HP depending what you do...:blah:

seven
02-24-2004, 11:21 PM
I dont really need the most HP. I just want enough to clear the jumps on the mx track. As long as I can get around 40Hp I would be happy.

Greg Z
02-24-2004, 11:23 PM
oh then youll be fine

02-25-2004, 06:51 AM
i feel your taking a step backwards.......

lil400exman
02-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
i feel your taking a step backwards.......
i agree........you will miss the R if you sell it............i went the other way and couldnt have been happier:macho

beak7707
02-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Keep the R, you will regret it when its gone.

brandonpeake
02-25-2004, 09:16 AM
it depends on you, i like my ex it needs some more power but i ride xc and i can use the power it has w/out it working me to death,
i like the 4 stroke better, its more preference

Moded86R
02-25-2004, 12:17 PM
I have a 250r and a 400ex.

I also considered the same thing.Except it wasn't selling the R.It was a taking the front suspension,tires and wheels off my R and putting them on the 400.I decided not to do it.Just wait a little while and get new stuff for the 400.

If I had to choose between them it wouldn't be easy.I love my 400 in everyway.Sure it isn't the fastest thing in the world.But it get me around just fine.I can ride wheelie's on it wherever I want.And most importantly it starts up and runs perfect everytime.

Right now my R and I are kinda at a bad spot.I put over a grand in the motor.(Everything new in lower end)Also replaced EVERY bearing and seal throughout the entire bike.New wheels and tires all the way around.All kinds of money that I really didn't have.I was broke for a long time cause of that thing.I rode it for 4 hours and it broke again.Now I have to tear it completly back apart and get a NEW crank.(Just put a new oem crank in it)So I have decided I have to get my truck's motor rebuilt.Then I am going to finish the R.Hopefully by mid summer both of those will be done.

If it was me I would keep them both if you can afford it.Even if one just sits there most of the time.I love it when I go downstairs and see my 400 and my R sittin there.Now if I could just get a yfz or a 450r.......

seven
02-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I could probably keep both but money would be tight . Right now we are working partial weeks. I have a 250x that I am almost done with. If I sold that one I could probably keep the other two. Also If I had a garage sale it would almost pay for the 400. I got to ride a fully prepped 440 and it was GREAT! But I wont have the money to put into the motor for a while. I am just not sure if I would be happy with a 400. I will probably keep both for a month and see if I like it. I am going to pic it up at 8:00 tonight.