PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Airbox???

HCR250X
02-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I was looking on ebay earlier and I saw an brand new aluminum airbox with lid for a 400ex. I was wondering if it is worth it or not. Th one on ebay is only 80 bucks but it is no name brand or anything...What are some good brands if I did decide to do this?

I heard somewhere that after a while the frame starts to tweak on the 400ex, because of the 10lb battery on one side?

SPEED-MDS
02-24-2004, 08:51 PM
I dont think that name brand would matter that much on an airbox, its not gonna take much abuse/stress. As for the frame tweaking, I dont think a 10# battery is gonna tweak a subframe. If that were true then my heavy ars would have buckled it long ago.LOL

hondarider2006
02-24-2004, 11:15 PM
having your battery on the side will not tweak your frame:huh If that was to tweak your frame, than bolth of your foot pegs would snap off, and the other side where the pipe is would be tweaked also. Pretty much if the battery was to do that, then you would have one messed up quad.....:eek:

pnut420
02-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by HCR250X
I was looking on ebay earlier and I saw an brand new aluminum airbox with lid for a 400ex. I was wondering if it is worth it or not. Th one on ebay is only 80 bucks but it is no name brand or anything...What are some good brands if I did decide to do this?

I heard somewhere that after a while the frame starts to tweak on the 400ex, because of the 10lb battery on one side?

The weight of the battery is not the main thing that causes the stock subframe to bend somewhat easy, if you look at the battery side of the subframe the angle is not a stright 45 like the opposite side, it is more rounded at one point and that is what causes it to be weaker, so even if you were to get the aluminum airbox the subframe would be close to the same strength. I got an aftermarket subframe off Pappy and it has battery mounts on it, but the battery side is the same as the other side, but they just ran the battery mounts at a different angle instead of the whole subframe, it also has a crossbar that beefs it up even more. I bent my stock subframe a little, but I dont expect this one to have any problems unless I wreck real bad.

JD400exrider
02-25-2004, 12:46 AM
pnut420

Have you got that quad back together yet ? It is prime riding season once this rain stops :D

nikejoe
02-25-2004, 03:08 PM
I got an aluminum airbox off e-bay. So far I love it. It really looks good to get the battery off the side of the quad. The one I purchased didn't come with a lid and it was $120. I use an outerwear airbox ver with it and also an outerwear on my K&N filter. Here is the auction I bought it off of. He has them on there on and off. He calls them AIRE-BOX. Tell him Nikejoe sent you!

AIRE-BOX auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2454761086&category=43981&rd=1)

:macho