PDA

View Full Version : brake pad question???

jja125
02-24-2004, 03:56 PM
this might be a stupid question, but i thought i'd ask anyway.

has anyone had to grind their brake pads down to get them to fit and is this a common problem or are they made that way on purpose or what?? are some 400ex brake pads thicker than others for some reason?? (see story below for details)

i bought a set of DP brake pads couple of months ago and when i went to put them in my back brake they were too thick and i had to grind them down to make them fit. i have the clymer book and have changed other quad brake pads before, just never on my 400ex. i'm sure they were the right part number and i'm sure the piston was pushed back in all the way - the actual pads were just too thick to fit in there with the rotor.

then yesterday i bought a set of EBC pads thinking i'd try a different brand to see if they fit better. i was changing the front brakes this time. i put the left wheel's on with no problems and fit perfectly, then when i went to do the right side those pads didn't fit at all - they'll barely fit into the caliper by themselves and have no chance of fitting the rotor in between them. these pads were from a different package but still have the same part number as the ones i used on the left side and i'm sure they're for a 400ex. I am also sure that the piston is pushed in as far as it can go. I took these pads and lined them up with the ones i already installed on the left wheel and when i put them together they are just as thick by themselves as the other installed ones are plus the rotor thickness (proving the pads are different thickness)??

Am I missing something here or what??

hook
02-24-2004, 04:10 PM
i know u said the piston was purshed all the way in but that is the only thing that would stop it from fitting

hondafreestyler
02-24-2004, 04:43 PM
i have nooooooooo clue man ... lol ...
i feel bad for you ...

jja125
02-24-2004, 05:06 PM
i just looked up the part number on EBC's webpage and i do have the right number :huh

ILGNCC400EX
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
make shure your brake calipers are sliding on the pins eaven if you have the piston in all the way in the caliper has to slide to

quadrider400
02-24-2004, 10:32 PM
A common mistake is to not open the valve ... if you don't the cylinder will not be able to go all the way back the other option is to remove the fill cover and remove fluid.... as the cyclinder is pushed back the fluid will have a place to go.... make sure you do not allow the fluid to get on any paint......:eek2:

this is a good time to change the fluid and it ensures there is no air in the system

All this assumes ya have the right pads...... :confused: