PDA

View Full Version : What arms and swing arm for XC

thump4863
02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm looking to get some aftermarket arms for my 400ex. All the aftermarkets all come in +1. Another question what will the +1 foward do. Is that a big difference because the woods I race in are usually very tight. Also what about the swingarm what length do you recommend. I'm trying to get a good set up. Or if you could tell me a setup you would recommend for XC thanks

brandonpeake
02-24-2004, 01:57 PM
id probaly sta1y stock on swing arm and just +1 one wider with 4-1 wheels on the front
but here is a libnk ot rico 's page and u can see his setup
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/

but burgard sells +1 and seems to be the best deal for the price

Dave400ex
02-24-2004, 02:33 PM
The setup is to go +1 wider with 4+1 wheels. The +1 forward is not needed. I will be running Arens LT +1 arms with Douglas Shamrocks 4+1 up front. I would stick with a stock length swingarm, as you could turn sharper, but if you have some motor work and what not, getting the +1.25 wouldn't hurt you much.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I have the +1 burgards for xc with the 4+1 burgard beadlock this set up works good on a 400ex I would also stay with the stock length swingarm.

pairanutz
02-24-2004, 10:39 PM
i have +1 laeger a-arms with itp 4+1 rims and a +1.25 laeger swing arm -realy like the front set up -rear is nice on hill climbs and starts -but it doesnt turn as tight as it did -not big deal unless it real tight woods -a lack of traction is a bigger issue with +1.25 swing arm-im still up in the air on rear set up- like it some places dont in others

brandonpeake
02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
yeah id like the get that elka rear shock setup like rico has that seems like it would help out amazingly better

lil400exman
02-25-2004, 10:14 AM
i actually prefer a shorter swinger...........try that and a 1/2 will really make that steering tighter. i didnt notice a real wheeling effect over a stock R swingarm length. Another thing plus 1 is nice with 4+1 offset wheels as its only 1/2 wider..........that 1/2 inch makes a big difference man!:macho

excel416
02-26-2004, 08:02 AM
I would definately go with at least plus 1.25 on the swing arm. After my motor mods I wasnt able to keep the wheels down on hard accleration. I run A plus 2" and It works really well holeshots are so much better no getting off the gas and hill climbs are a breeze the front wheels stay planted. Turning radius is only slightly larger(not noticeable). Straight line stability at high speeds is excellent, it doesn't twich around like the stock length does. Mine is made by eyeball eng. and quality and customer service was outstanding.

This was one of the best mods I ever did.

brandonpeake
02-26-2004, 02:25 PM
do u run the 4-1 wheels with the +2 , i had thought about +2 for it also but everyone said would be too wide but im not sure , i think u should still be alright with the 4-1 wheels

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
all I have ever ran was +2 arms on my 400ex and I decided to race the Gilmer GNCC and put the +1 arms with 4+1 rims and I am so glad I did not go down there with +2 arms :eek2: I am not sure if all the tracks are like that, but in my opinion I would rather be skinny than fat :blah: :p

cdalejef
02-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I am not sure if all the tracks are like that, but in my opinion I would rather be skinny than fat :blah: :p LOL.....actually, that track was considered fast and open.:eek2: +2's would have been a nightmare!

Dave400ex
02-26-2004, 06:50 PM
+2 and XC racing don't mix. I have seen some guys show up at local races with their MX machine, they usually quit real soon. Heck I know the one local track I ran stock arms and wheels, and it was tight with that setup!