PDA

View Full Version : Predator Vs. Raptor

FOURTRAX RIDER
02-24-2004, 11:24 AM
I AM CAUGHT IN A DELIMA BETWEEN WHAT I WANT TO BUY, THE PREDATOR OR THE RAPTOR WHOS FASTER AND ALL AROUND BETTER RUNNING BIKE. I WANNA RUN AT THE TRACK A LITTLE BIT BUT MOST OF MY RIDING WILL BE WOODS SOO FOR ALL THOSE WHO KNOW ALOT ABOUT THESE TWO BIKES I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF U COULD SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME SOO I MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE WHEN I BUY AN ATV. THANK YOU

Matt756
02-24-2004, 01:50 PM
predator sounds better for u

Lil - Braff
02-24-2004, 02:38 PM
I'd say go for the pred. My dad has a pred. and even I like it! It's a good bike w/ lots of power (in my opinion). The raptor... has power but I'm not sure about how dependable it is. You could go to www.predatorowners.com and check out what they have to say about the pred.

Mr.Offroad
02-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Lil - Braff
I'd say go for the pred. My dad has a pred. and even I like it! It's a good bike w/ lots of power (in my opinion). The raptor... has power but I'm not sure about how dependable it is. You could go to www.predatorowners.com and check out what they have to say about the pred. O.K., here's another point of view. I own a Raptor and ride with Predators all the time. Predators are great machines, I feel Polaris finally did their homework with this one. HOWEVER, If I was riding just dunes and wide-open spaces, the Pred would be great. But, in trails, the Raptor is much narrower and compact. Both have good power, but I can edge out the Pred in a race, be it flat out, or up Comp Hill. The Raptor is a little more top-heavy, but I got used to that the first day I rode it, by using a little body-english. As far as reliability goes, they've got most of the bugs worked out of them. The trannys hold up well now, and they've re-designed the one-way bearing on the starter this year. You do have to adjust the intake valves a little more often than most, but it's a piece of cake. IMHO :)

beak7707
02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
If you plan on woods riding i would get the raptor for the reverse. there isnt much of a power differece between them, so i would pick the one with reverse. The are close bikes so just pick the one you like most.

FOURTRAX RIDER
02-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys now can anybody tell me the top speed of them bone stock. i would appreciate it.

bradley300
02-25-2004, 08:25 AM
stock for stock i beleive they are damn near equal.

IMHO, there is only 1 thing the raptor has an advantage over the predator, and that is low end power.

FOURTRAX RIDER
02-26-2004, 06:15 AM
and whats this i am hearing about the alot of the 03 predators are having horrible tranny problems but they completely re-done the 04 models.

Predator38
02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
I've had my Pred. for a little over a year and no problems at all....stock for stock you can beat a raptor in 300' dirt drags with no problem...I drag raced mine all last yr....along with a few woods races.....its a great bike...and yes they improved the 04'...Later....:cool:

QuadJunkies
02-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
stock for stock i beleive they are damn near equal.

IMHO, there is only 1 thing the raptor has an advantage over the predator, and that is low end power. True.You can improve this with gearing as well...... I agree with what all has been said, for trails I would chose a Raptor over a Predator for Reverse for sand they both are great as well and both are Fast.Its all about preference and feel, not everyone likes the fell of a Raptor and same for a Predator, you just need to go and ride both and see which one feels right for you.....;)

foxracingpredat
02-27-2004, 11:37 PM
wow! how can you even ask this question?.:mad: the craptor doesnt even compare in any way to a predator..i guarantee you will be much happier with the predator over the craptor...i love mine and i tear crapta's up all day:cool:

Mr.Offroad
02-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by foxracingpredat
wow! how can you even ask this question?.:mad: the craptor doesnt even compare in any way to a predator..i guarantee you will be much happier with the predator over the craptor...i love mine and i tear crapta's up all day:cool: Yeah, yeah, there's always one. :huh I think I hear your mommy calling. Naptime? :rolleyes:

buggle_96
03-03-2004, 01:08 PM
I have had an 03 predator and recently bought an 04 Troy Lee. I am known as Predator_96 at predatorowners.com, and quadjunkies is right. The bugs have been worked out on 04's for the most part. And what was said earlier about the raptor being better in the woods, i would only have to agree that its pro is that it has reverse. Nothing will handle like a predator either it feels so wide and stable. Go with the predator you wont be dissapointed. If you spend some time at predowners, you will find out these things have alot of power being bottled up too...alot! My friends cannot believe the wheelies i can do, literally pull up the front end right in the middle of a drag race, hey it looks cool on video!

RuffRyder400ex
03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
i like the way the pred looks better. :huh and i hear that its better

roostin_dale
03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
My dads pred will beat a raptor in a drag race...
It is a lot better on the MX track too....i would so get the pred...

QuadJunkies
03-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by RuffRyder400ex
and i hear that its better you heard right!:blah: :macho

Raptor Mike
03-15-2004, 07:26 AM
It sounds like foxracing has a bug up his arse for the Rappy. To answer fourtrax's question, a stock Raptor will go 73 MPH, had mine shot 5 different times with a radar gun (a friend of mine is a cop). 73 was the best, it averaged just a little over 72. I think a preditor is rated at 70 or 71 MPH. It all depends on the rider's height, weight and riding ability as to which is better in the woods, the Raptor is a little more topsie in turns, but you get used to it.

QuadJunkies
03-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Raptor Mike
It sounds like foxracing has a bug up his arse for the Rappy. To answer fourtrax's question, a stock Raptor will go 73 MPH, had mine shot 5 different times with a radar gun (a friend of mine is a cop). 73 was the best, it averaged just a little over 72. I think a preditor is rated at 70 or 71 MPH. It all depends on the rider's height, weight and riding ability as to which is better in the woods, the Raptor is a little more topsie in turns, but you get used to it. The Predator is top in speed over a Raptor its also top in speed over a YFZ, but only by a hair...This was stated in one of the ATV mags I read. in the last few months...........;)

Raptor Mike
03-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Really?? I didn't know that, I always thought the Predator was just a tad slower than a Raptor. I guess you learn something new every day.:o

QuadJunkies
03-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Raptor Mike
Really?? I didn't know that, I always thought the Predator was just a tad slower than a Raptor. I guess you learn something new every day.:o No problem!!!:) ;)
This is what I found so far..........
in a hill shoot on sand (uphill) this is the results..
DS650 70.49 MPH
Predator~~~ 67.61MPH
660Raptor~~~~ 66.36
Vforce~~~ 63.39
also remember they did there own pick and chjoose of the Quads they wanted to line up ,so the YFZ wasnt in this shootout

Now, Predator Vs YFZ450 in a 125 yard Drag the Predoatr wins by three bike lengths it also has top speed ..BUT only by a hair (btw this was in Atv Action who usually isnt a big fan of Polaris)They also preferrede the motor of the Polaris also about equally to the DS as well,but they dont ratde the TRansmission to be aswell......

:o

Raptor Mike
03-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but that's in sand. The Raptor is heavier so it won't do quite as well in the sand. Like I posted before I was clocked at just a little over 72 on my Raptor, but that was an old dirt road, not sand. Unless his radar gun wasn't working.:confused: And I know a V-force is faster than a Raptor cause I raced them, there again, they are heavier than a Raptor so that could be why it was slower in the sand.

Mr.Offroad
03-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Read ATV Action's latest shootout, and look at their race times. Granted it's with the GYT-R stuff on the Raptor, and the factory hot stuff on the Pred, but the Rappy beats it with both pro and novice riders on them. I also know what I see first-hand. And that is why I don't listen to half the b.s. that gets thrown around. I'll listen to somebody who can give me a rational arguement, but not some kid saying "This bike is faster than that bike". Just to find out that's all he's ever ridden. :huh And where do you come up with the Raptor being heavier? The Pred is 16 lbs heavier in stock form. I realize it's not much, but it's still heavier.

TroyLeePred03
03-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Offroad
Read ATV Action's latest shootout, and look at their race times. Granted it's with the GYT-R stuff on the Raptor, and the factory hot stuff on the Pred, but the Rappy beats it with both pro and novice riders on them. I also know what I see first-hand. And that is why I don't listen to half the b.s. that gets thrown around. I'll listen to somebody who can give me a rational arguement, but not some kid saying "This bike is faster than that bike". Just to find out that's all he's ever ridden. :huh And where do you come up with the Raptor being heavier? The Pred is 16 lbs heavier in stock form. I realize it's not much, but it's still heavier. just like on your last post i read on another topic you really dont know your facts...the pred is 16 lbs heavier in DRY form stock than a DRY stock raptor the WET weight of a predator is around 10-15lbs lighter than a WET stock raptor...if youd like to get out a big arse scale and weigh them by all means do because its a proven fact if i can find the article on it ill post it....and a predator is faster than a raptor thats been proven also...a raptor may do better on the track with a lot of twists and turns because its got a lot more torque than the predator in stock form, which helps on the tight mx tracks and in the woods but the predator overall is a faster bike and im no brand biased like a lot of people i really like the raptor, yfz, trx450r, and z etc.. i enjoy my predator tho

Mr.Offroad
03-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I've never been called brand- biased either, TLP. As I've either ridden or owned just about everything out there. When I said stock form, I didn't stipulate wet or dry, I realize. As far as a big-*** scale, why bother? the fact remains, we're talking weight differences of who's got more change in their pocket. And 30 lbs. heavier wet? That's a lot of water, oil, and brake fluid. And I still stand by what I said about believing what I see. As far as me not knowing my facts, I know that as soon as anybody gives so much as an ounce of costructive criticism about a Predator, you're right there to jump down their throat. If you read my posts as you say you do, you'd see I also said that after riding a Predator I was very impressed and that I felt Polaris finally did their homework. But selectively reading what you want, you don't see this.Those are the facts.

QuadJunkies
03-16-2004, 01:38 AM
its all good guys no fighting about it!!!:) ;) No one is ever going to come to an agreement on who is faster, just enjoy what you have and leave it at that........

Predator38
03-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Amen..QJ.....:D