PDA

View Full Version : HRC Cam Evaluation

deepcj7
02-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I just wanted to pass along my thoughts on this install, when I was researching this all I could find was second hand information.
I installed a HRC cam in my stock 400EX w/ HMF slip on. I didn't feel like tearing my motor down to put a high comp. piston in it cause of a full schedule of races coming up, but wanted a little more power. The install could not have been easier, it took all of 2 hours taking my time making sure I didn't miss anything. After break in I replaced the 14T sprocket w/ the 15T and took it for a ride. I can say it was worth it, felt like I still had the 14T on but had good mid and top end. I can say honestly I lost no bottom end power. I did have to rejet, I went w/ 155, 42PJ, and 4th clip. I should try a 158 but I have no hesitation or sputtering, what do you guys think about the jetting? If you guys have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer.

JOEX
02-23-2004, 10:25 PM
What made you decide on the HRC over the other cams available?

Do you think an aftermarket header will compliment the cam in this situation?

Joe

deepcj7
02-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Hey JOEX,
Off the top of my head I can think of 2 reasons why I chose HRC. Piece of mind, and the decomp system. Because the WORCS races are dead engine starts I wanted to make sure it started right away and cause I couldn't get a straight or confedant answer on how the other cams started.
As for a header, I don't know. The forums say the stock head pipe flows well for my piston, but I do have plans for a FMF Power bomb in the future as well as hi comp. piston.

JOEX
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
How is the decomp. system different? I'm sure it has been posted here and I probably read it but it hasn't stuck in my mind yet:p

I bought a used Powerbomb header from a member here, it should be here Tuesday:D Not sure if i'll install it right away though. I think I might be having tranny problems now:(

Joe

JD400exrider
02-23-2004, 11:32 PM
deepcj7

Glad to here you like the HRC cam. I too chose that cam and have no complaints what so ever. Probably the best thing I like about it is the no loss of bottom end with a nice mid to top end punch. You can give an even better review of that with the stock piston over a higher compression piston.
As far as the header issue. I have the Power bomb header I did notice a little difference in power over the stock header. I added that one ride before it got torn down for the 416 and cam.
What will really compliment that cam is a higher compression piston as you probably know.

The reason I went with the HRC cam over the other ones out there is the same reason you did. #1 Piece of mind (Honda Quality R&D)
and I still wanted to have the decomp system. Cams without the decomp system may start fine but did not want to take any chances.

JD400exrider
02-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Joe On some of the other cams out there at least the hot cams you do not use the decomp system. The device is taken off the cam and you take the spring / piece out of the head before installing the other cams. It is an auto decompression. Like I said it may not make a big difference on the ex motor. I think if it did you would here more about starting problems once these other cams are being installed.

y2k400ex
02-24-2004, 08:29 AM
but you get what you paid for:devil:

dirtmomma
02-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Hey DeepCJ how you doin?? Anyway I'm getting ready to get a cam for my 300 cuz it just needs more UMP coming outof the turns!! Gonna get some head work done also, but why I posted here is, are these HRC's a better cam than like HotCams?? When you say decompression system does that mean you could use it w/ like a Wiseco High Comp piston?? (hope thats not TOO dumb of a ??)LOL Sorry I'm new to the cam thingie hehehe Mine isn't hard starting just wondering if this would be a good cam to use for flattrack, sounds like you get all around good power.

Doibugu2
02-24-2004, 08:42 AM
I PM'd Gabe about this cam and this is what he had to say about comparing the WB Track cam to the HRC Cam.

I think you'll like the WB cam if it's the one I think it is - especially since it sounds like you are going to have a similar setup.

It's kinda similar to the HRC, but with power shifted into the upper Rs a little more and torque being a little down. Still plenty of bottom end for playing around & a lot of fun on top.

I don't actually have this cam, but a close friend does - we built his engine exactly the same as mine & I have spent a good amount of time on his quad, so I always thought it was a fair comparison. I've run all the others in my own machine though.

He prefers his cam to my HRC, but he loves top end power - I prefer a little more bottom and a strong mid since the 400 rev-limits so low anyways.

MIKE400EX
02-24-2004, 09:32 AM
As usual Gabe is right on the money. The WB track cam is the Web 450/451. That cam has a little more duration on the I & E which would shift the power band a bit higher than the HRC cam, consequently the lower RPM power would be somewhat less.

deepcj7
02-24-2004, 04:36 PM
- I debated between Hotcams and HRC for 3 months. I didn't choose Hotcams because of there past failures, I know there suppose to be fixed now but I don't like doing things twice.

- Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, with the decomp system it cracks the exhaust valve open when turning over the motor to reduce pressure in the cylinder to make starting easier. You don't need it and I have no experience with cams that don't have it.

- You can use any brand piston you like with any cam.

- I have never flat tracked, but it seems a mid to top end cam would be best. Though I'm sure the HRC wouldn't hurt any

airheadedduner
02-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by deepcj7
- I have never flat tracked, but it seems a mid to top end cam would be best. Though I'm sure the HRC wouldn't hurt any
I have an HRC cam in my 440 with a WB cdi. It pulls hard right up to the rev limiter. I would see no fault in using it in a flat track setup;)

dirtmomma
02-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys yeah I think I have it figured out what I'm gonna go w/ got some prices from C&D on a WEB cam there are 4 different stages, think I'm gonna go w/ 2 or 3 then I'll also be getting new valve springs & rockers to go w/ it OH I can't wait!! But 1st I'm gonna do some gearing work to see if that helps pull outta the turns better. DeepCJ you still livin down South?? We got the key to my parents property up there in Tuhuya when it gets nicer we may take a camping trip up there & go riding @ the park that was fun last year & when we got home & told my oldest son he was bummin he didn't get to go so we told him next time he could. <Maybe we'll have to meet up w/ you again, I'll try & keep up better:rolleyes: we'll have to get JOEX & Soggyrider out there too :)

bman13
02-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Could someone help me out with a part # for the HRC cam. And does this cam have to be purchased through Honda or does anyone else carry it?

brandonpeake
02-25-2004, 08:56 AM
www.servicehonda.com

they sell them i think they are $275 but are over $400 regularly
but im not positive on those prices but i think they are right

YLW400
02-25-2004, 09:44 AM
That sounds about right Brandon...

brandonpeake
02-25-2004, 10:20 AM
i m planning on getting the hrc cam also if i keep the 400 motor and i have the part number saved on my pc at home so if you dont have it i can post it tonight so you can check it out

YLW400
02-25-2004, 10:29 AM
I have been considering it myself, only because it's a drop in, and I don't have to worry about hardening rockers and what have you. Plus I am probably not going to be riding the EX next season, so it will give me a little more for not a ton of money for this season.

brandonpeake
02-25-2004, 11:39 AM
yeah i feel the same way but ill prob keep my ex anyway if just for a play quad to keep to trail ride with

TORO1968
02-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have the HRC cam part #? If so, could you please post it?

I found it a while back, but can't find it now...

-Jordan

deepcj7
02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Maybe we'll have to meet up w/ you again, I'll try & keep up better:rolleyes: we'll have to get JOEX & Soggyrider out there too :)

Love to have you guys out here again, it was fun. I don't need any notice to go riding.

dawnchris
02-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
I have been considering it myself, only because it's a drop in, and I don't have to worry about hardening rockers and what have you. Plus I am probably not going to be riding the EX next season, so it will give me a little more for not a ton of money for this season.

What do you mean by 'hardening rockers and what have you'?
Is there something more needed to install a Hotcam other than the cam itself?

cals400ex
02-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by dawnchris
What do you mean by 'hardening rockers and what have you'?
Is there something more needed to install a Hotcam other than the cam itself?

hardened rockers is exactly like it sounds. the rockers are made of a harder material so the cam doesn't ruin them. you can get your stock rockers hardened by a machine shop too. some cams are softer materials than others. for example, the honda cams, hotcams, and all other drop in cams use stock rockers. hardened rockers will ruin a drop in cam over time.

you need a manual in order to install a cam. you shouldn't need much else besides the tools.

dirtmomma
02-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
hardened rockers is exactly like it sounds. the rockers are made of a harder material so the cam doesn't ruin them. you can get your stock rockers hardened by a machine shop too. some cams are softer materials than others. for example, the honda cams, hotcams, and all other drop in cams use stock rockers. hardened rockers will ruin a drop in cam over time.

you need a manual in order to install a cam. you shouldn't need much else besides the tools.

Oh well if this info is correct that is cool!!! The part about the machine shop being able to harden rockers, the cam I was looking @ they said I needed new rockers @ $65 a piece so if our machine shop can harded them that would save me some $$ heck I may be getting this sooner than I thougth LOL I know when we had it apart in Oct to do the piston & rings the cam & rockers looked good. Guess I'll have to call him up :)

dirtmomma
02-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by deepcj7
Love to have you guys out here again, it was fun. I don't need any notice to go riding.

COOL I'll make sure to let you know when we get up that way ;)

pnut420
02-26-2004, 09:59 AM
The HRC cam is a great cam, but as far as choosing it for the dead engine starts, I don't think it is going to be a huge advantage, jetting it perfect will help it start the best. I had a stage 2 cam in mine with a 426 bore, 11:1, and when we went from a dead start finish mine started right up and thats with a low battery, the only other quad that started before me was a YFZ450 and it was because he had a new battery.

The HRC does seem to have great low end, but for some of you thinking the stage 2 hotcam is a big loss in power, I don't feel that at all with mine, with the port and polish it pulled great, but if I were to do all woods racing I would pick an HRC or if I didnt have the money for that, I would get an XR cam.

I'm not trying to say the hotcam is the way to go or anything, but just stating what I thought about it, I personally have not tried a HRC cam so I cant really compare, but dollar for dollar the hotcam is still a great cam, I was a little mad that they had past problems but that has been cleared up.

brandonpeake
02-26-2004, 11:16 AM
i run xc so i want the hrc cam but its alot more than the xr cam, but ive been told it performs up to its price and is worth the difference, i just need to save some $:D

cals400ex
02-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Oh well if this info is correct that is cool!!! The part about the machine shop being able to harden rockers, the cam I was looking @ they said I needed new rockers @ $65 a piece so if our machine shop can harded them that would save me some $$ heck I may be getting this sooner than I thougth LOL I know when we had it apart in Oct to do the piston & rings the cam & rockers looked good. Guess I'll have to call him up :)

i have never had my rockers hardened but i was told it can be done and it will be cheaper. i don't know if the average machine shop does it or only a select few. i would just ask and see. :)