PDA

View Full Version : 400ex fmx settup

Zak
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
As soon as i can find a trailer and go pick it up im going to have a 2000 400ex with the mods listed in my signature. I'll have another $800-900 to spend on some mods and i want to set it up for freestyle. I've already got some 18 inch turf tamers from another bike and some bandit fronts so tires arent really a concern. With $850 what would you buy to start setting it up for fmx? Also what are some good qfmx sites? Thanks

hoser 400ex
02-23-2004, 09:18 PM
i would definetly do some suspension upgrades for fmx!!! before u dig into the motor get urself some good shocks *cough* elkas!! and a good set of a-arms they are essentila. although my bro launches his r 65' plus with stockers!!

660r2a400ex
02-23-2004, 09:21 PM
well, my bike is pretty much bone stock and we have one jump, a 35 foot double, 7 foot launch ramp. my bike has a durablue heavy duty axle, very strong yet still stock length, i have a works shock on the rear...that soaks up the jump nicely. get some handle bar set ups that you feel comfortable with, maybe a bar with no cross bar that way serand wraps , and other tricks i easier to pull off with the lower bar. nerfs would probally be nice to get too and a kill switch incase u fall off, buy a nice helmt you feel comfortable wearing too, you'll need it.the axle i found for $260, find a used shock or get the one you have revalved($200-$350), nerfs are from $130-$320 depending on what u want, i got the standard AC's, and helmet around $150, this all works out nicely, not a high competive race bike but a very very fun trail bike and feels great when its in the air, keep ur bike is narrow as u can...also depending on how good you are, cut some grab holes by ur rear next to ur seat or something for superman seat grabs, shave as much plastic as you can withput making ur quad look like foo-bass, and hit the ramps in a higher gear then u need to,if ur going fast but let it bog out is better then going fast with a lot of wheel spin, for our ramp u can make it in 3rd 3/4 way open throttle, but i take in in 4th with 1/4 throttle !

hondafreestyler
02-24-2004, 03:08 PM
lmfao ... thats some funny chit man ... funny chit ...
cut holes in your plastics to pull of ssg's?? hes dont derek or jon guetter man ..

I wanna see some pics of you crankin ssg's ... durablue strong?
more like duraBEND ... but thats just IMO ...

anyways ...
if your gonna get big into fmx get a lsr axle or run a RPM ... I run the RPM dominator but they are expensive ... get some a-arms and things like that ... but first off get SUSPENTION!!! *PEP* lol ...
get whatever u like or can afford ... i like pep tho ... elka's are also great ... so is tcs ...

-Mike

hoser 400ex
02-24-2004, 04:14 PM
wtf cuttin holes in plastic outa style dereks setup is awesome

hondafreestyler
02-24-2004, 04:40 PM
its not even that its outta style man ...
its the simple fact that i wanna see this kid pull off a ssg ...

i dont have holes in my plastic ... simply because i dont and cant pull ssgs. .. and i dont claim that I can ... so why cut the holes and u cant use them? ...

-Mike

660r2a400ex
02-24-2004, 05:01 PM
yea i am a poser, thats why i did not put the holes in my plastic i simply told the man if he was good enough to do it, it was a tip.

Zak
02-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the replys. I wont be riding hardcore freestyle like some of you guys,just the local mx track and a few doubles and natural hill jumps at some riding spots,nothing over about 45' distance wise. What about works shocks? I know they arent the best performance wise,but since im not gonna be going insane anyways would they be a good compromise? What about tires and gearing? I've got the turf tamers,should i run stock gearing or go up a tooth on the countershaft? I notice some guys are running some really high bars,whats the advantage to that?

hondafreestyler
02-24-2004, 07:26 PM
lol ... ok bro ...
you didn't say if he was good enuff ... you said cut holes in your plastics to pull ssg's ...

thats cool man ... 45' isn't small ethier ... thats decent size bro ... thats basically all I run ... some people in here are CRAZY good at freestyle and pull BIG gaps ... to name one is Kendel Peterson ...
man that guy got good fast ... and i mean GOOD! ... I just basically got into fmx like mid-end of the last season ... im getting there tho ... but I dont "claim" to be good ro whatever ... i just try to progress and have fun ... and try and be safe ...

as for tires ... tamers are good ... right now im running 18x10x8 holeshot mxr's and 20x6x10 holeshot mx's up front ...

as for gearing goes ... you could talk to ppl at sidewinder ... they give great gearing advice ... you could leave ur stock gearing if you wanted ...
it all depends on what u want ... (more bottem end .. mid .. top)? ... thats all a factor in it ...
As for works shocks ... there pretty dependable shocks from what I hear ... but if you go with them go with the tripple rates with remote rezzies ... anything other is a waste ... I belive Juggalo is running those and he hasn't had ne promblems ... hes pretty good and gets some big air ... like I said before they are the "bang for the buck" ...
If you have ne other questions just PM me bro .. or u can email me at hondafreestyler@hotmail.com ....
Ill talk to you then ...
later on bro ...
-Mike

Zak
02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
How much do axis,pep,tcs,and works cost for a similar set of front shocks?

hondafreestyler
02-25-2004, 03:37 PM
call around and check man ...

just see what diff. comp's are selling for

02-28-2004, 10:47 PM
45 will seem big at first but you will get use to it very fast... my advice is go a little bigger each time... like once you are landing 45' gaps and are comfortable go try to clear a 50' then 55' and so on

02-28-2004, 10:51 PM
oh and as for shocks.. works are better than stock and if you ever exceed the shocks capibilities just send them to santo and he will do a pro milliniuem kit to make them just as good as elkas or at least very close

toomeyshee87
03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
pep zps top a tha line are 895$