PDA

View Full Version : What are the Advantages and disadvantages of rear tires sizes.

Poston5
02-23-2004, 08:38 PM
I ride on the weekends with my freind i would rather have power or torque than top end. I dont top my 400 out that much. Should i stick to the 20 inch tires or the 18 on the rear. Also has anybody ran the XCR-03 ITP they look mean. Do some tires handle better. i would like better handling.

JDiablo
02-23-2004, 08:40 PM
if you want good handling go with the kenda klaws i heard they hook up good and for the xcr i run them,they are pretty mean,but i got them in 22inch for XC they hook up good but suck *** in snow....ill give you a good test run of them after this weekend when i go riding for the first time since summer really:devil:

Poston5
02-23-2004, 08:50 PM
alright thanks 300exrida sounds good to me. what kind of ground are you riding on though.

hondarider2006
02-24-2004, 01:00 AM
the are good and bad things to bolth the taller tires, and the smaller tires. With bigger tires you have more side wall flex, and ground clearence, and it will add some top end. But with a smaller tire, you are going to have less side wall flex, and better handleing. But than again your goin to loose some top end, and ground clearence. I have found the 20" tires to work the best for what I do. Right now I am running ITP Holeshot XCR 20-11-9 and they are awsome!

wilkin250r
02-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
the are good and bad things to bolth the taller tires, and the smaller tires. With bigger tires you have more side wall flex, and ground clearence, and it will add some top end. But with a smaller tire, you are going to have less side wall flex, and better handleing. But than again your goin to loose some top end, and ground clearence. I have found the 20" tires to work the best for what I do. Right now I am running ITP Holeshot XCR 20-11-9 and they are awsome!

Indeed. Taller tires give you taller sidewalls, and more sidewall flex. This will help soak up little rocks, roots, and small bumps, giving you a softer ride, better traction on uneven ground, and obviously more ground clearance. Excellent for rocky areas. However, with the taller sidewalls, they tend to "roll" in the corners a little more and don't slide quite as well. They give better top-end speed, but they rob torque and acceleration.

Smaller tires are better for sliding and acceleration. Rotational inertia plays a BIG factor in acceleration. Excellent for flattracking, sand, or smooth riding terrain. The downside to smaller tires is that you feel every little bump and rock that you go over.

Smaller tires don't have as much flexibility, so they tend to sit on top of rocks, where a larger tire will sit over rocks and completely engulf them. For this reason, larger tires give you better traction in rocky terrain.

So, analyze your riding terrain and your needs, and choose the tire best suited. Obviously there isn't one "best" tire for everything, or we would all be using it.