PDA

View Full Version : TRX or YFZ?

atvrider12764
02-23-2004, 06:55 PM
soon i am going to be buying a new quad.i am either going to be getting a yfz or trx. i do not know which one to get. i ride track and trails every once in awhile im about 5' 5" 135 pounds. i am wondering what the advantages of both of them are and what the problems are with both of them. thank you for everyone who helps me out with this by reply it is very appreciated.

250EXking
02-25-2004, 01:45 PM
You'd be happy with either or. I've heard that the YFZ is more aggressive on the track. The Honda is more user friendly, but both are very good quads. Whatever one you pick, you'll be happy.

montyjcm
02-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Or a cannondale, they are pretty sweet and about 3grand less!:D

raptor_02
02-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by atvrider12764
soon i am going to be buying a new quad.i am either going to be getting a yfz or trx. i do not know which one to get. i ride track and trails every once in awhile im about 5' 5" 135 pounds. i am wondering what the advantages of both of them are and what the problems are with both of them. thank you for everyone who helps me out with this by reply it is very appreciated. both great quads. YFZ comes more race ready IMO and is a better starter point for racing. But if you ride trails more than race i'd say the 450R would be the better machine. It's suppose to have a more friendly power band and I'd say the honda will be more reliable. But I've bashed my YFZ hard and have had no serious problems. Just ride both and see which one u feel better on.

jarsong
02-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 250EXking
You'd be happy with either or. I've heard that the YFZ is more aggressive on the track. The Honda is more user friendly, but both are very good quads. Whatever one you pick, you'll be happy.

How could anything you have to kick to start be more user friendly? Get the YFZ.
jarsong

mephyst
03-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Yeah.. especially only weighing 135 lbs. Haha just kidding, I weigh the same. :D I have a TRX and have no problems kicking it over at all. Like they said, both are great quads.. mine is pretty stock, and nothing has gone wrong with it yet. *knocks on wood* :devil:

SuzukiRacr07
03-11-2004, 10:51 PM
I had the choice and race MX so I went w/ the YFZ. They are pretty much the same speed w/ the YFZ having more midrange and top end w/ the TRX having more low-end. You have to ride the YFZ more like a 2-stroke to get all the power out of it. The TRX gets on 2 wheels too easy while cornering and is a bit too top-heavy for my likings. The TRX's suspension is more plush at slow speeds, but every step u pick up the pace, the YFZ's suspension starts to shine. Just my .02:cool:

Lax
03-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by SuzukiRacr07
I had the choice and race MX so I went w/ the YFZ. They are pretty much the same speed w/ the YFZ having more midrange and top end w/ the TRX having more low-end. You have to ride the YFZ more like a 2-stroke to get all the power out of it. The TRX gets on 2 wheels too easy while cornering and is a bit too top-heavy for my likings. The TRX's suspension is more plush at slow speeds, but every step u pick up the pace, the YFZ's suspension starts to shine. Just my .02:cool:

Thats probbably the most honest comment about the 2 ATV's ever.

WickedWhite450
03-14-2004, 04:39 PM
If you are planning on riding track i would definitely go with the YFZ. The TRX is more user friendly for all around use.

LostCause439
03-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Get the YFZ if you think it doesnt have enough lowend power rejet and pull the baffle, If you ride the trails the TRX is horrible IMO geared to tall and the rear suspension sucks, i rode with TRX`s at the track and trail yesterday, very good quad but yamaha has a damn good machine, Track , trail or dunes!

rs169300
03-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by jarsong
How could anything you have to kick to start be more user friendly? Get the YFZ.
jarsong

Think about that when your battery is dead!

yellowrider
03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
the battery is a easy fix

i would be worried about my case cranking ... lol

anyhow
the 450r suspension does not suck at all .. it is a very plush ride and is great at the trails.. gearing is a 20 dollar fix..

the yfz on the other hand sucks .. unless!! you are moving on pretty quick then it loosings up.. but it is closer to the ground and i found it to be more fun on trails ..

but anyhow .. i wish i had both of them .. but sadly i am only going to get one of them .. :(

SuzukiRacr07
03-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by yellowrider

the yfz on the other hand sucks .. unless!! you are moving on pretty quick then it loosings up.. but it is closer to the ground and i found it to be more fun on trails ..
thats not true..... if u ride the YFZ like a 2-stroke then it is just as easy to ride as the 450R..... i hav the YFZ and the suspension is definitely better the harder u push it, but i hav PEPs on ther neway..... i hav ridden a 450R and the gears are definitely too tall for the MX track (which is where these two quads were designed to dominate) and the 450R tips too easy in corners, but does hav more low end to pull u out the turns, but then comes the YFZ..... if you ride it like a 2-stroke, u will hav more power than the 450R because the YFZ has more midrange than the 450R does low-end.... just my .02

LostCause439
03-17-2004, 06:43 AM
I have ridden both and i have to say the YFZ`s suspension is better, the rear shock on the TRX sucks and the swingarm should be another inch, The YFZ suspension handles like no other stock quad out there. Also The YFZ is great for the trails, for those who dont think so , take one for a spin and you will see, also watch a GNCC round, Trails! with lots of YFZ`S!!!!! i must not be the only one knowing they can tear up the trails

experson
03-17-2004, 07:08 PM
i dont know wich one would be a better choice the yfz might not be reliable because it is a yamaha and it might be like the raptor. i have a raptor and it breaks every time i ride the piece and the 400ex is reliable so the trx might be but trx kick and yfz-electric

(all other yamahas are reliable except the raptor)

exrider123
03-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by experson
i dont know wich one would be a better choice the yfz might not be reliable because it is a yamaha and it might be like the raptor. i have a raptor and it breaks every time i ride the piece and the 400ex is reliable so the trx might be but trx kick and yfz-electric

(all other yamahas are reliable except the raptor)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p30f4e2b6330c63250dc423fc62045f96/f94f7283.jpg

yellowrider
03-17-2004, 08:13 PM
you took me the wrong way... i didnt mean it was horrible i just wanted to state that you have to be going pretty quick for everything to soften up.. u cant put around and expect a good ride on the yfz:D

i like it that is the one i am going to get ..

WOracing19
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Think about that when your battery is dead!

i agree with this. the 450r is the easiest kicker i have ever kicked.

Kennethyfz450
04-01-2004, 12:44 PM
i worry about my battery going down ..

if i was you i would be worried about kicking taht thing and breaking thw whole thing off.. or it coming back up and hit you in the leg..

seatec
04-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I think that when you comment about the two quads flaws you shouod only comment about the flaws that cant be fixed like the tall gearing on the TRX. just because the TRX has tall gearing doesnt mean that you shouldnt buy it. Throw on a $15 13T counter sprocket and its fixed. Catch my drift?

avaloncon2
04-02-2004, 08:20 AM
What would you do about the height issue. Without spending a lot of cash.

jb500ex
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
sit the two bikes side to side and they are the same height. the nose of the honda the way it was designed makes the bike feel taller then it is. like i said sit them next too each other.

avaloncon2
04-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Went to the dealer yesterday and lost my nerve. Had the deal done and walked right out the door. Rode down the street to honda and put down $3000. I was just not comfortable on the Y. I think it is a beast but the ergos were not there. Thanks again for all the info and dont hate me cause I ride red. To each their own.

LostCause439
04-03-2004, 10:07 AM
:huh Ok

Bretmd94
04-03-2004, 02:59 PM
no worries. Trust me you will be very happy with your choice. I love mine more than anything. If i had the money i would have a yzf too though.

With the honda you dont have to worry about it breaking so much as the yzf. Just DONT hold the throttle open and kick. You can hurt yourself and crack the case.

In the dunes the bike is golden. on the track I am wanting a little more stability. But the power range is huge and easy. Some large doubles i cna choose between 3rd at full throttle, or 4th at mid-lower throttle.

I dont see why all the babies on here love their e starts so much. I was always pissed when my 400ex battery died. The 450r kicks over way easy, even with an (out of shape) kid like me at the end of the day at the track. The hot start is perfected, it starts on the first kick 95% of the time.

I am a bit dissapointed with the tall feel of the bike. But i was also planning on aftermarket suspension before i bought it anyways. Im sure some +2's and a wide rear axle will bring it up to par.

There was also a yzf at the track today. And i kicked his ***. So there.... Even though it was all rider, it still makes me feel good. :blah:

SuzukiRacr07
04-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
sit the two bikes side to side and they are the same height. the nose of the honda the way it was designed makes the bike feel taller then it is. like i said sit them next too each other. thats because u cant tell the difference in 9 tenths of an inch :rolleyes: ..... now fill them both up w/ gas and see which one is more top heavy.... (the TRX will be because of the higher CG and it will hold more gas).... and if u put the same amount of gas, the YFZ still sits lower thereofre it is going to corner better

jb500ex
04-04-2004, 01:24 PM
dude you have too be joking we both had almost full tanks. so what you are saying is when you put gas in the yfz it sits lower and handles better, but when you fill up the r it stays high and makes it top heavy. ive ridden both bikes alot the only handling difference is the wider a arms.

WOracing
04-04-2004, 02:15 PM
the only reaason there is so many yfzs is because they have been out since may of last year.......think about it. watch the 450r will be the best atv in the racing industry....just like the 250r:D

Scottie Mac
04-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
the only reaason there is so many yfzs is because they have been out since may of last year.......think about it. watch the 450r will be the best atv in the racing industry....just like the 250r:D

I understand you love your 450R, and you should, but I am sorry to have to inform you that the Honda doesn't handle as good on a MX track as the YFZ. Go to any race track in america and see for yourself. When you take both and add all the goodies to each, the YFZ still handles better.

There were some very trick 450Rs at the Birch Creek GNC this weekend, but with the exception of Factory Farr's one off machine, they were fighting for mid pack most of the day.

Put it this way, the YFZ sits, handles and rides much like an aftermarket 250r, the 450R sits and handles more like a modded 400ex. Which do you think is going to be better on the track???

And as far as the almighty 250R, they wouldn't be a contender for the best sport bike if they were released right now. The AFTERMARKET made the 250r the best mx bike of its era.

I have had just about every quad for the track, all aftermarket 265R, aftermarket YZ426, and YFZ fully set up - they all have strong and weak points, some are just better at certain things than others.

Scott

WOracing
04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
i suppose...just my .02

Scottie Mac
04-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Wo,

Don't take my post as an insult on the 450R. I like the Honda, if I had the money to build one for racing, I woudl get one to compliment my YFZ. Figure I couldn't go wrong with both.

Besides, racing all comes down to rider anyway.

Scott