PDA

View Full Version : TRX or YFZ?

atvrider12764
02-23-2004, 06:54 PM
soon i am going to be buying a new quad.i am either going to be getting a yfz or trx. i do not know which one to get. i ride track and trails every once in awhile im about 5' 5" 135 pounds. i am wondering what the advantages of both of them are and what the problems are with both of them. thank you for everyone who helps me out with this by reply it is very appreciated.

redrider410
02-23-2004, 07:23 PM
They say that the Honda is most comfortable and easy to ride, and that the Yfz is more for agressive mx riders. This i noticed is true about the yfz, it has a very agressive feel. But if you are not going to do any serious Racing then go for the honda. Me, i would rather have the honda, i am loyal to them because of their reputation with reliability.

Ride REd

Scottie Mac
02-23-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a YFZ and I have ridden the Honda a few times. If you are keeping them completely stock the YFZ is faster, the TRX is easier to handle. The TRX has a slightly softer seat, but if you buy according to the cushy seat, get a Z400. If all you ride is trails you have to decide what is more important; a less aggressive motor with a kick start or a more 2 stroke feeling motor with the electric start. Both come with nice suspensions for stock quads, the YFZ's is harder from the factory, but offers more travel and more adjustibility compared to the Honda. If you like the 400ex, then you will love the 450R, they feel very similar in terms of ergonomics. If you plan on modding them, then you are opening up a whole new can of worms. Both will have tons of aftermarket parts available and with the right amount of money, both can be turned into fire breathing pro level quads.

Best suggestion I can give you is this; try to ride them both before you buy. That way the only person that matters, yourself, will decide which is best for you.

Good luck,
Scott

shee dawg
02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Very good post Scotty Mac. That was put very non-bias
no one can tell you what is better for YOU.

If you are sitting you are losing or cruisin'

r450rr
02-23-2004, 08:55 PM
i like my

honda

450R

hows that for a nonbiased opinion,,,lol:o

JWhite
02-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
I have a YFZ and I have ridden the Honda a few times. If you are keeping them completely stock the YFZ is faster, the TRX is easier to handle. The TRX has a slightly softer seat, but if you buy according to the cushy seat, get a Z400. If all you ride is trails you have to decide what is more important; a less aggressive motor with a kick start or a more 2 stroke feeling motor with the electric start. Both come with nice suspensions for stock quads, the YFZ's is harder from the factory, but offers more travel and more adjustibility compared to the Honda. If you like the 400ex, then you will love the 450R, they feel very similar in terms of ergonomics. If you plan on modding them, then you are opening up a whole new can of worms. Both will have tons of aftermarket parts available and with the right amount of money, both can be turned into fire breathing pro level quads.

Best suggestion I can give you is this; try to ride them both before you buy. That way the only person that matters, yourself, will decide which is best for you.

Good luck,
Scott

The Honda comes on earlier and has noticably more torque. The Honda SHocks may have a little less travel but feel much better. The Honda WILL pull a YFZ. And the YFZ WILL pull the Honda. They are that close. Many YFZ owners DID have problems with thier trannys as shown at YFZCENTRAL. And MANY YFZ owners have had battery problems (FRIED) at $200 a pop. I'd HATE to have that happen in the middle of a race.

How many problems have we heard of, seen and verified with the Hondas? :macho

hsr
02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
thats sort of what i was thinking...granted the honda's haven't been out all that long for mechanical failures to happen to them yet, but It just seems that yfz problems just keep surfacing and surfacing. I want a YFZ so bad, but reliability outweighs a little bit of Horsepower and handling by a long shot. I know it sounds stupid , but you can have the best production mx'er that they make but if it doesn't hold up , then I'd rather have something that's more reliable. Just my opinion. I mean bent a-arms, water pump seals, tranny issues, to name a few. Not everyone is having these problems , but too many people are. I understand a first year model is going to have some bugs worked out of it and all. I dont know...does anyone hear me?

yellowrider
02-24-2004, 05:54 AM
as for the 450r and the 400ex riding alike i believe you are wrong it didnt feel anything like my 400ex it felt like it sit taller ..

i thought the yfz felt like my 400ex

Motoman440
02-24-2004, 06:16 AM

Good luck,
Scott

Nice post. First one I have read that ain't biased and really tells you something meaningful about the two different bikes.

biohazard1.2
02-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by JWhite
The Honda comes on earlier and has noticably more torque. The Honda SHocks may have a little less travel but feel much better. The Honda WILL pull a YFZ. And the YFZ WILL pull the Honda. They are that close. Many YFZ owners DID have problems with thier trannys as shown at YFZCENTRAL. And MANY YFZ owners have had battery problems (FRIED) at $200 a pop. I'd HATE to have that happen in the middle of a race.

It has not been out long enough for the bugs to emerge (TRXr).

To respond to your comments, in case someone who does not know better believes you:

Well, a notchy shifter that smooths out before the break in is over is not a real issue (98%). $200 batteries...from where? NE1 that pays that is on some fine medication for numbing ones senses (remove battery and add the kicker if an e-start scares you)

You are more likely to pop a chain, torque an a-arm, debead a tire, wap a wheel, or bend your bars in a race than you are "frying" your battery...but, you could always install the YFZ kicker....options...hmm...options...as in you have a choice.

If you like the TRXr better, please, buy it. But do not bash what you clearly do not fully understand or appreciate.

HOW OLD RU AGAIN?...ok...

better go check my battery.:D :rolleyes:

JWhite
02-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
It has not been out long enough for the bugs to emerge (TRXr).

To respond to your comments, in case someone who does not know better believes you:

Well, a notchy shifter that smooths out before the break in is over is not a real issue (98%). $200 batteries...from where? NE1 that pays that is on some fine medication for numbing ones senses (remove battery and add the kicker if an e-start scares you)

You are more likely to pop a chain, torque an a-arm, debead a tire, wap a wheel, or bend your bars in a race than you are "frying" your battery...but, you could always install the YFZ kicker....options...hmm...options...as in you have a choice.

If you like the TRXr better, please, buy it. But do not bash what you clearly do not fully understand or appreciate.

HOW OLD RU AGAIN?...ok...

better go check my battery.:D :rolleyes:

I did sell my YFZ and I do have my 450R now. :macho And it was a lot more than a notchy shifter. All anybody has to do is to goto YFZCENTRAL to read about it. Maybe you should before you open your big mouth. Personally I had no problems with my YFZ as many people don't. Truth is, MANY PEOPLE DO! Thier trannys were getting stuck in gear and then some. And quite a few have had battery problems. YOU price them. I don't need to. :blah:

Denial will get you nowhere Kiddo! :blah:

seatec
02-24-2004, 12:53 PM
To the original poster. YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH EITHER QUAD.
Ride them if you have a chance and make up your own mind.

Neither quad will leave you stranded with proper care and maintenance.

MX#9
02-24-2004, 01:02 PM
And the bashing begins again! What do you have your heart set on? Both are excellent machines with nitpicking differences,and neither is free from service or proper care if you want them to last. Get what you really want. I wanted a 450r and I don't feel like I got a lesser machine. You ask yourself,if you had one,would you be wishing you got the other? Get the one YOU fell most comfortable with, not me or any of these other guys. It is a state of mind anyways.

Blown 331
02-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I would buy a 450R. That's only because I am totally loyal to the Honda brand. If if wouldn't have came out I would have kept my 400EX. I think the Yamaha is one hell of a bike though. I'd just stick with the brand you prefer.

LostCause439
02-24-2004, 02:12 PM

I own a YFZ and have only sat on a honda, both seats are stiff but that is what you want for MX to slide side to side when you have to, also both quads are great in there own way. JWhite i have not had any problems with my YFZ :) , Every quad isnt perfect, TRX or YFZ.

Scottie Mac
02-24-2004, 07:36 PM
JWhite (and everyone else)

A FEW people have experianced a tranny issue, due to a shift drum problem that has been addressed by Yamaha. A FEW people with early models had battery issues. VERY FEW. YFZcentral is a brand biased, more specific, a model biased website, where 90% of the people on the site own a YFZ450. I have two YFZ450s that have had the snot run out of them, no problems. Most of my buddies that race have Yamahas as well. None have had any issues. Also, remember, YFZs outnumber TRXs about 1000 to 1, they should, they have been available for 8 months now. When the TRX has been out that long, then we can compare "issues".

Funny, in the new ATVRider mag, they praise the Yamaha as having the best transmission on the market and complained about the TRXs "notchy" feeling trans. But, that is a mags opinion. (grain of salt included)

As far as torque goes, stock for stock, the TRX does have more torque, but it is not much in terms of "seat of the pants" or drag racing. The TRX I rode was very close in terms of drags, but doesn't "seem" as powerfull, more torque or not. When you add a pipe to the YFZ (and junk the worthless stock exhaust) the torque difference is VERY little. And even though I don't get into that "this quad won a race, so it must be better" stuf, it is interesting that the TRX has less torque than a CRF, but YFZs are pulling holeshots left and right against full aftermarket, bike engined machines. It is not just torque that pulls holeshots, it is a balancing act between it and horsepower. Seems like everyone gets caught up in this number or that dyno sheet, but the real results are on the course or in the field, no matter what brand you ride/own.

Like I said before, get what YOU like. Both will have strong points, both will have weaknesses. NO QUAD IS PERFECT! That is what the aftermarket, and credit cards, are for. :)

Scott

hndabestonearth
02-24-2004, 08:36 PM
good post. By the way, I read a couple reviews, they said the 450r felt like it had more power stock than the yfz. You see, you need to make decisions for yourself, test ride them or some thing because the magazines are only one persons opinion which is no more valuable than yours or mine.

r450rr
02-24-2004, 09:31 PM
true,, its just a choice in brands, or colors,, u cant go wrong with either

honda350r
02-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Without a doubt buy the Honda TRX 450R !

JWhite
02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
JWhite (and everyone else)

A FEW people have experianced a tranny issue, due to a shift drum problem that has been addressed by Yamaha. A FEW people with early models had battery issues. VERY FEW. YFZcentral is a brand biased, more specific, a model biased website, where 90% of the people on the site own a YFZ450. I have two YFZ450s that have had the snot run out of them, no problems. Most of my buddies that race have Yamahas as well. None have had any issues. Also, remember, YFZs outnumber TRXs about 1000 to 1, they should, they have been available for 8 months now. When the TRX has been out that long, then we can compare "issues".

Funny, in the new ATVRider mag, they praise the Yamaha as having the best transmission on the market and complained about the TRXs "notchy" feeling trans. But, that is a mags opinion. (grain of salt included)

As far as torque goes, stock for stock, the TRX does have more torque, but it is not much in terms of "seat of the pants" or drag racing. The TRX I rode was very close in terms of drags, but doesn't "seem" as powerfull, more torque or not. When you add a pipe to the YFZ (and junk the worthless stock exhaust) the torque difference is VERY little. And even though I don't get into that "this quad won a race, so it must be better" stuf, it is interesting that the TRX has less torque than a CRF, but YFZs are pulling holeshots left and right against full aftermarket, bike engined machines. It is not just torque that pulls holeshots, it is a balancing act between it and horsepower. Seems like everyone gets caught up in this number or that dyno sheet, but the real results are on the course or in the field, no matter what brand you ride/own.

Like I said before, get what YOU like. Both will have strong points, both will have weaknesses. NO QUAD IS PERFECT! That is what the aftermarket, and credit cards, are for. :)

Scott

Well said Scott.

I'd like to add a little. The reason the YFZ "feels" faster is because of its mid-top motor. It's lack of bottom makes the mid-top feel like an afterburner so to speak. Take a 5.0 mustang GT with a 5 speed. It feels faster than a Ram Air Trans Am but it won't beat one or even come close. Feel is not everything in the motot department. The Honda has it everywhere. The Honda had a more usable powercurve. If you notice the YFZ has one more hp. The Honda comes a live right off the bottom with almost 5 hp more til the YFZ kicks in the mid range (which is Banshee like...breaks tires loose). Add that extra 5 hp to the torque advantage and the Honda's motor is the perfect MX powerplant. The YFZ does have it's stong points too. Ice racing, lower center of gravity, corners better, and drags. Personally, I do like the YFZ chassis better. I'd pick the Honda motor anyday over the YFZ though. They ARE both great quads.

The honda is much easier to work on too. Ever take a YFZ apart? I have.

honda350r
02-25-2004, 12:23 PM
One of the positive things on the YFZ is how easy it is to work on (compared to other Yamahas) the Honda is also very easy to work on! Ofcoarse that does not include the chain tensioner on any Yamaha ! Honda wins that one hands down !!

biohazard1.2
03-02-2004, 05:07 AM
Well said Scott.

I'd like to add a little. The reason the YFZ "feels" faster is because of its mid-top motor. It's lack of bottom makes the mid-top feel like an afterburner so to speak. Take a 5.0 mustang GT with a 5 speed. It feels faster than a Ram Air Trans Am but it won't beat one or even come close. Feel is not everything in the motot department. The Honda has it everywhere. The Honda had a more usable powercurve. If you notice the YFZ has one more hp. The Honda comes a live right off the bottom with almost 5 hp more til the YFZ kicks in the mid range (which is Banshee like...breaks tires loose). Add that extra 5 hp to the torque advantage and the Honda's motor is the perfect MX powerplant. The YFZ does have it's stong points too. Ice racing, lower center of gravity, corners better, and drags. Personally, I do like the YFZ chassis better. I'd pick the Honda motor anyday over the YFZ though. They ARE both great quads.

The honda is much easier to work on too. Ever take a YFZ apart? I have.

Denial...

JWhite
03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
Denial...

LMAO! :blah:

Denial is more like you YFZ guys having to hang out in a HONDA TRX450R section!

aces high33
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I have been trying to decid for months and Friday I will own the Honda. I like to kick it because if I wanted an electric start I would drive my Integra. Amen. Both machines are great. Honda or Chevy. But lets get real bous. BLONDES OR BRUNETTES. Thats what we are talking about here boys.

atvrider12764
03-02-2004, 02:45 PM
?HONDA or CHEVY?

seatec
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Denial is more like you YFZ guys having to hang out in a HONDA TRX450R section

You need to lay of the generalisation dude. you have an issue with the words, Everybody, Many and everything. learn the words few and some.

i hope you understand!

JWhite
03-02-2004, 06:53 PM
ROGER THAT! SOME OF THEM...MOST ACTUALLY...but not all...

Pappy
03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
bicker bicker bicker.....

people that do nothing but bash are lacking manhood. size...girth...and the ability to use it.

grow up people