PDA

View Full Version : Kickstart

Chad W
02-23-2004, 04:53 PM
To all you lucky 450R owners. How hard is it to start, honestly? What about on cold mornings? This would be the deciding factor when purchasing the bike. If they had put electric start on it, the decision would be a no brainer.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-23-2004, 04:59 PM
For me being a whimpy girl it starts just fine. Choke it and give it a kick, starts right up once it is warm use the hotstart and give it a kick, starts right up. I really don't like kickstarting bikes untill the 450r, piece of cake :D

RobRacing
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
It's not that hard to start at all. If you do it correctly on cold mornings it shouldn't take anymore than 4 kicks to fire it up usually less. When its warm it usually takes one or two. It isn't hard to kick over at all, not like the 250r was. It doesn't kick hard enough for it to spring back and take out your shins. Honestly I think it takes just as long to kick it over as it would to push the button, and its a good work out :)

schmitthead
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
im with her, i feel the same way.

04trx450R
02-23-2004, 06:11 PM
I start it the same way I start my 350X, I kick it all the way through slowly once, then bring it back to almost the top and then kick it with force, fires right up evry time,,, That is when its cold and I have the choke on,,,, I am in MA. and its been between 30 and 40 degrees when I have been starting it.

When its hot, it may take me 2 or 3 kicks,,,, I havent played with the hot start button yet though.

redrider410
02-23-2004, 07:19 PM
So when u kick her over on cold mornings, or even warm mornings, after shes been sittin for a bit, does it idle fine or do you have to get on the throttle a bit to keep her running??????

Sportrax10
02-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Yes, its really easy to kick over... even my sister can do it... seriously!:p

04trx450R
02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
When I start it with the choke on I dont even touch the throttle,, it fires right up then after 45 seconds to a minute I turn the choke off,,, maybe have to give it one quick blip of the throttle and it idles down just fine,,,,,, very easy starting bike

450r_rider
02-23-2004, 08:15 PM
One word of advice though do not touch the throttle... I have had bikes where you find the sweet spot on the throttle and it always starts on the first kick. This bikes requires no throttle. Put the choke and let you your foot fall through. It doesnt require a hard kick either. There is a thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92674&perpage=15&pagenumber=2) by MX#9 using a smooth kick extending his leg and his would start the first time. I tried it and he was right. The compression makes you fell like you need to kick hard but you don't! I let it run for 30 sec or so and it idles fine.

Good luck and have fun!:macho

ROGERS
02-23-2004, 08:28 PM
I had never kick started anything but a blaster before ( and barely at that). I can start mine almost as fast as Eddings can push his magic YFZ button. My favorite part is kicking it when sitting down. Yes it is that easy.

jgfarmsracer
02-23-2004, 08:36 PM
i was out starting a yfz in a dead engine start this weekend

after i got the right sequence down

Blown 331
02-24-2004, 06:38 AM
I hate electric start, that's what made me sell my 400EX and buy the R. Would you also like a CR with a starter?

dirtriderex
02-24-2004, 06:58 AM
This morning it was in the 30's and my quad started on the 2nd kick. awsome quad

dhines
02-24-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm not particularly concerned about how it starts cold. What I want to know is how it starts stuck in an off-camber mud pit, 1.5 hours into a race on a hot, humid summer day. THAT is when I want an electric start.

quadsrfun
02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
I rode mine in the mud on sunday and I killed it in a deep mud pit and I had been riding it for over an hour I did not use the hot start and it started on the first kick. I also killed it on the side of a steep hill and did the same thing and it started right up. This is one of the best starting quads I have ever had . It does not seem to matter what temp. it is it always is running on the second kick. And it idles great also.You can check out my r's at www.gearworxriders.com

r450rr
02-24-2004, 12:07 PM
i have had my r for the past three days.. and never have i had to kick it more than twice to fire it up..and its been in the thirties the past few days.. when i start it ,, i open the choke up all the way, kick it all the way through and usually starts on first kick.. let it idle with choke on for about 30 secs and an then its good to go