PDA

View Full Version : R-4 jetting = Lots of power

sprtrx300ex
02-23-2004, 04:51 PM
I put my R-4 S-Bend slip-on on my 400ex last october. It has a nice sound, and great torque. I tried many different jetting combos, and by the time I got close Cold weather was here. So I ended up jetting it to DJ146 main, DJ needle 3rd notch,42 pilot w/ 2 turns out. It semed a little rich at ideal nd maybe a little bit lean on top, but rode and felt great. I could not get a color on the plug not matter what size I was running.

It has recently warmed up (60's) and I took the 400 out. It has an INCREDABLE amount of torque and acceleration. I was simply amazed at how all of the sudden as soon as it warms up it runs so much stronger. However, the pilot stills feels rich. I plan on going down to a 40.

So, my question is, Do you think that the jetting is right now, or do you think it is running lean, causing the engine to run hotter, which I have heard lean = faster. All opinions are appriciated.

Thanks

EXerHonda400
02-23-2004, 06:02 PM
I am running identical to what you are right now, and it is running just a tad rich, like the plug is close to the line that fades between golden brown and black. It does run hot, but not anything to be worried about, but if yours is running a lot hotter then you think it should be, then richen it up a bit cause a white glossy or white plug is not a color you should be running. I think that a little rich is a better than lean.

phebus
02-23-2004, 10:16 PM
My friend has a similar set-up, and is running a DJ 148 main, and it runs great. That is at approx 500' elev, and temps in the 60's. Everything else is the same, 3rd clip position, 42 pilot, and 2 turns out. Uni filter with EHS air box cover (Which is very nice. Good air flow, and his filter stays clean).