PDA

View Full Version : Front / Rear brakes

sprtrx300ex
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I am having some problems with my brakes. The fronts work great, but when I put the quad on a stand and spin the tire, it doesnt spin very much. It spins 1 rotation then just stops. I took off the wheels and the prake pads are rubbing on the discs, more than I think it should be. The pads are still in great condition, stock from when I bought the bike (2001).

The rear brake isn't working right either. I changed the pads about 5 months ago, and they are already pretty much shot. I had to sand down the pads quite a bit to slip them into place. I plan on getting a P-brake block off plate. The pads are also rubbing alot on the disc.

An ideas on these issues?
Thanks

JOEX
02-23-2004, 06:24 PM
If the wheel stops or catches in one spot the rotor might be warped, they aren't cheap either:( Not sure, but a caliper rebuild might help too.

Push the caliper piston back before instaling the caliper, there should be plenty of room for it to fit. Use a C-clamp if neccessary. No sanding required.

Joe

crap-banshee32
02-23-2004, 06:27 PM
yea...you shouldnt have to sand down your pads to make them work.....

Aceman
02-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Your brake pads are supposed to lightly rub the rotor. Here are your possible problems:

1. You need to clean your brake pads and rotors with brake cleaner because you have mud/grime built up on them.

2. Your caliper needs new seals causing it stick and not release pressure as well as it should.

3. Wheels bearing are shot. Check by trying to wiggle your front wheels up and down and side to side.

4. A bad brake hose with an internal split keeping the pressure from releasing after you've applied the brakes. Not very common though.

Ohhh, use a c-clamp to compress the pistons. Only a newbie would sand down brake pads to make them fit.:rolleyes: