PDA

View Full Version : Bordom=creativity with existing parts pt. 2

RideRed04
08-20-2001, 11:22 PM
Hey all, just wanted to get this one going again, it was interesting to see all people have done. I polished the "Honda" off of my throttle cover... looks sweet. I also polished my motor mounts, honda should have done that from the factory. What have you kids done to yours?

skemp
08-21-2001, 12:18 AM
I used an aluminum polishing kit from Caswell Plating. (http://www.caswellplating.com)
It worked better than I thought. After trying other methods, this is the only way to go for a real good look.

skemp
08-21-2001, 12:22 AM
I don't have any real good pictures of it yet, but here is one. Check out more here (http://400ex0.tripod.com/polish.htm).

RideRed04
08-21-2001, 12:28 AM
Man, that looks really nice! You did your motor mounts, right? Mine where really fun, I used some sand paper, and there where some pretty good pits and gouges from honda. Like you said, set some time ahead, and put some music on.

skemp
08-21-2001, 01:33 AM
Yes, I did the mounts too. I might do the insane and polish the entire motor this winter if I get real bored. That would take forever, but damn would it look good!

Wheelie
08-21-2001, 08:47 AM
I use a medium coarse grade of steel wool and then use a good grade of aluminum polish. I've done the throttle and master cylinder cap, motor mounts, oil filter cover, starter gear cover, and timing plug. When I go to change my pilot jet, I'm going to try to polish the float bowl on the carb.

crday98
08-21-2001, 10:45 AM
:confused: for some reason i can't get the thumb throttle cover and master cylinder cover to shine as good as the other stuff i did and those motor mounts took forever.i will be doing my side cases this weekend :) .also there is a guy on ebay charging $40 to polish the master cylinder and brake lever and i think you have to pay the shipping too.lol,i wouldnt even buy one for that price,i'd save the money and do it myself.then again people will pay for anything,there was a used front set of fenders with a 4" crack from a roll over, scratches, and a few gouges.black headlight plastic and tank cover and it was going for around $130:D :D .

RideRed04
08-21-2001, 10:53 AM
Haha! you could buy a whole new set of plastic from servicehonda for that! Did he sell them? I love e-bay, but some people are really greedy!

08-21-2001, 12:34 PM
Good to see this topic going again! I need to do my cases, but my engine needs to be fixed before I can even think of doing such things.:)

08-21-2001, 04:27 PM
i did the master cylinder and the honda logo on the throttle. I used a file and some sandpaper

crday98
08-22-2001, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by RideRed04
Haha! you could buy a whole new set of plastic from servicehonda for that! Did he sell them? I love e-bay, but some people are really greedy! there were people that were bidding on the plastics and that was the current price.i just browsed through ebay before i came here and i didn't see them.i the auction might have ended.and yup people will pay for anything.there was a stock seat cover going for about $60 and you can get the whole seat new for $50. i collect dale earnhardt cars and seen a sports collectibles shop having an auction for cars.i emailed them, got their phone # and called them for the cars i wanted.i paid $22 for two 1/64 cars with shipping and people are bidding up to $35 + $4 shipping on just one of the cars :huh:i'm in the wrong damn business.:confused: