PDA

View Full Version : Bent aftermarket stem

Craig02
02-23-2004, 11:59 AM
My quad did a backflip yesterday, I was not on it thank goodness. But it bent the stem pretty bad. It has been slightly bent and straightened before so it was probably weak. I am thinking about getting it straightened again and puttin a steel rod in the center of it. Has anyone tried anything like this, or what is your opinion?
Thanks

y2k400ex
02-23-2004, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't want to get the stem too strong if you did that the next time the stem wouldnt bend it would be your frame..... :mad:

muff
02-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I have bent my burgard +1 stem, and my dad had a steel rod inserted in the middle of it...no problems so far, but I have only slowly rolled it over once since the stem "upgrade"

as for the price...I can get a used frame for the price of a new aftermarket stem :eek2:

Craig02
02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
as for the price...I can get a used frame for the price of a new aftermarket stem
Yea, it is a lonestar stem so a new one would be around $350. It could possibly bend the frame but it would be very hard. If I just had it straightened again it would probably bend again just from landing jumps.

02-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Craig02
Yea, it is a lonestar stem so a new one would be around $350. It could possibly bend the frame but it would be very hard. If I just had it straightened again it would probably bend again just from landing jumps.

Look around on the site,, I beleive C&D racing has some burgard stems on sale right now...;)

muff
02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
yea, the burgard stems are quite cheap, and since you dont need the antivibe clamp you'll be savin that much more...if you do decide to just get a new stem

my burgard

jfboy
02-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by muff

as for the price...I can get a used frame for the price of a new aftermarket stem :eek2:

LMAO sad but true