PDA

View Full Version : Badlands and the 450R

Honda
02-23-2004, 10:42 AM
I got a chance to go out to the badlands this weekend. This was my first real ride on the 450R.

Let me tell you, I am very pleased with the new machine, Plenty of power and the suspension is great. They have a pretty long section of whoops in one area, I hammered those things over ond over again, it seemed like the faster I went the better the suspension worked. The suspension is great, the front end seems a little harsh over smaller bumps but at speed it seems to work flawlessly.

The conditions out at Badlands make giving a final impression sort of hard to do. The Terrain is a mix of course sand, small and medium sized rocks, lots of hills and tight woods. There really is not place to fully open up and run through the gears.

One other thing, I don't know if it due to the fact that I installed the HRC tip and Air intake snorkel without installing the other HRC parts or what, but my -R- was running pretty poorly on sunday, It seemed like anytime I tried to give it full throttle, it would make a poping sound and then the motor would cut out real bad. Now, If I easily rolled on the throttle it would eventually clear out and get up to speed, but if I stabbed at it like when trying to pull the front end off the ground, it would just cut out and act like it wanted to die. I have to try and figure that out this week, Hopefully it was not hurting the motor. This May have been a good thing also, cause it kept me from useing full throttle and accelerating quickly all day, on an unbroken-in motor.

The Machine is very stable at speed over rough terrain, and I never once got the feeling that the front end was too light. Even climbing some of the big hills the fornt end stayed on the ground. It seemed like whatever I threw at it, it was easily soaked up and the machine never once tried to throw me off

One thing I immediatly noticed, especially in the sand and gravel areas. This thing is geared WAY to TALL. You just can't putt around, you are either lugging the motor around or you are going so fast that you have to stand up in the rough sections. The 450R quite simply is geared Tall, and that is my biggest complaint with the new machine. I stalled it countless times, and trying to pull wheelies in the sand only embarrassed me because it usually ended with a stalled motor rather than the front wheels off the ground. Part of this was caused by the Throttle issues I was having, but mostly the gearing.

The thumb Throttle is very light, In fact one of the guys with us had a brand new YFZ, an hour into the ride he was complaining about his sore thumb. LOL! It's monday, my entire body is sore, my thumb, however, is not!

Overall I am very impressed with the new 450, It is definatly a better machine than my old 250R. The suspension is better, it is very comfortable and has plenty of power. More Ground clearance to clear those larger sized rocks. Fix the Gearing, and I would be 100% satisfied.

Other Items of intrest:

Lost the bolt that attaches the rear lower fender mount to the frame on the shifter side of the bike.

Aluminum Grab bar is Nice and Light, Unfortunatly so is the Flag mount. Mine Was standing tall at a 45 Degree angle after 2 hours of riding. Also noticed while going through the whoops, my Butt kept pushing on the flag Staff. May be one reason it bent.

The Tank gets scrathed very easily. Put some 16mil Clear Number backing over the sides if you don't wan't it to get scratched.

Tim Farr's quad has a bolt in the front of the rear plastic for a reason, Pounding through a long whoop section will cause the front corner of the rear fender to pop out of its rubber clip. Tim's bike has the extra bolt in it to hold the plastic to the frame where it belongs.

NOTE: If you wear Alpinestar's Tech-8 boots. The reversed buckle, the one midway on the boot facing rearward, will slice deep scratches into the bottom of your rear fender. My rear fenders are pretty scarred from the sharp edge of the buckle cutting into the plastic. I may try to modify the buckle to correct this.

MP250r
02-23-2004, 09:07 PM
sounds like it was running lean! I love the badlands that place is great.

joe1l
02-23-2004, 10:41 PM
One other thing, I don't know if it due to the fact that I installed the HRC tip and Air intake snorkel without installing the other HRC parts or what, but my -R- was running pretty poorly on sunday, It seemed like anytime I tried to give it full throttle, it would make a poping sound and then the motor would cut out real bad. Now, If I easily rolled on the throttle it would eventually clear out and get up to speed, but if I stabbed at it like when trying to pull the front end off the ground, it would just cut out and act like it wanted to die.

It sounds definately lean, i take it you did not rejet after adding the snorkel and end cap!

86atc250r
02-23-2004, 10:48 PM
First things first - correct your jetting before you do serious engine damage (if you haven't already). These new 4 stroke engines will not tolerate the mixture being lean for long - treat it like a 2 stroke.

Gearing - I've run the numbers and if you install a 12T front sprocket, the gearing will be almost identical to a YFZ on both the top and the bottom. Stock for stock, the TRX has 10MPH on the YFZ at 9500RPM in 5th gear - believe it or not.

joe1l
02-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Gearing - I've run the numbers and if you install a 12T front sprocket, the gearing will be almost identical to a YFZ on both the top and the bottom. Stock for stock, the TRX has 10MPH on the YFZ at 9500RPM in 5th gear - believe it or not.

I just looked into the gear ratios myself, and was surprised to see how much taller the 450r is geared than the the yfz450. I wouldn't recomend runninga 12t front sprocket due to ease of chain derailments, but instead run a 13t front and 39t rear so that you dont run a high risk of loosing your chain. 86atc is correct, the 450r is setup to go about 10mph faster than a stock yfz at 9500 rpm. I never realized how much higher the 450r is geared, this is probably why everyone thinks the YFZ is sooo much faster, its geared much lower!!!

yfz450
primary reduction 2.818

final reduction =2.71
14/38 66.67mph@9000

TRX450R
Primary reduction 2.739

14/29

16/26

18/24

25/28

27/26

14/38=74.58mph@9000rpm
13/39=67.69mph@9000rpm
13/38= 69.46mph@9000
12t/38= 64.11mph @9000rpm

14/38 final reduction=2.71

stabbincabin
02-24-2004, 05:27 AM
I TO WAS AT THE BADLANDS THIS WEEKEND ON MY 450R,MINE HAS THE HRC KIT AND RAN GREAT I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO AGREE THAT THE QUAD IS GEARED A LITTLE TALL,I COULD NOT GET OUT OF FIRST GEAR IN MOST OF THE TRAIL SECTIONS,A 13T FRONT SPROCKET WILL FIX THE PROBLEM I'M SURE.I ALSO WAS SURPRISED TO SEE AT LEAST 3 450R'S THERE SUNDAY.IT WAS A GREAT DAY! WILL PROBABLY BE THERE NEXT SUNDAY ALSO LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE OR ANYBODY ELSE IS PLANNING ON GOING AGAIN!

Honda
02-24-2004, 09:26 AM
First things first - correct your jetting before you do serious engine damage (if you haven't already). These new 4 stroke engines will not tolerate the mixture being lean for long - treat it like a 2 stroke.

Yea, I was very concerned about that.

I put the Factory end cap back on and the problem only got worse, then last night I proceeded with tearing the tank off of it. She is definatly not running lean. I pulled the plug and it was covered in black soot.

I am baffled at this point, if anything it should have been running a little lean, not rich. I am going to stuff a new plug in there and put new fuel in the tank, if that don't fix her, then I am goin to the dealer, before I void the warranty by taking it apart.

Possibly I am letting it run with the choke on too long, resulting in a fouled plug? I didn't think a few seconds would be too long though?

Maybe a jet fell out of the Carb?

Maybe it's because parts of the bike have a tag on them that says Made In Mexico? LOL!!!

Honda
02-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Hey Ted,
I think I saw you and your family riding around. I meant to stop and say Hi, but wasn't for sure it was you. I might be back out there this coming sunday.

I was with the group that had all the lifted trucks out on the dunes.

See Ya!

stabbincabin
02-24-2004, 11:21 AM
I THINK I SAW YOU ALSO,WE WHERE SITTING AT THE BASE OF SOME HILLS BY SOME YOUNGER RIDERS AND YOU CLIMBED THE SECOND STEEP HILL AND THEY CLAPPED WHEN YOU CLIMBED IT?,I HAD JUST CLIMBED THE 3RD HILL,THEY SEEMED TO BE TO SCARED,I HAVE CLIMBED THAT HILL ON MY 250R BUT SINCE IT WAS MY FIRST TRIP ON MY 450R I DIDN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE CLIMBING IT YET. ALSO WITH YOUR BLACK SOOTED PLUG HAVE YOU PUT THE OPEN AIR BOX LID ON IT? IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S NOT GETTING ENOUGH AIR. I WOULD LIKE TO GO SUNDAY BUT THE WEATHER CHANNEL SAYS RAIN BUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN.THANKS TED

Honda
02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Yea, They have some big hills out there, really have to watch it when you crest some of them, can't see whats on the other side of them. I about did a number on my self a few times.

All I know, It ran fine until I put the HRC tip and the Intake Snorkel on. Unfortunatly, I also happened to top the tank off with fuel at the same time. I really think it has to do with the Fuel I put in or something else is wrong. I may have just fouled the plug by keeping the choke on too long, I mean I haven't ridden around with it on or anything, I left it on once, motor started to stumble then turned it off.

Going to Dreyer Tomarrow to get a few plugs and 13 front teeth.

$20 a plug? Gotta be an alternative!

Hopefully we won't see rain. I may be too sore to ride this weekend anyway. Yea It's been a while! I am working on it though!