PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get off the line.

breaks-alot
03-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Well racing season is around the turn and there is still something that is haunting me from last year. It’s the holeshot. I can battle my way back to the lead after a lap or 2 but sometimes I get there jerks who can't race but can block like a mofo. So I want to know how u guys hole shot. Like what you do to prep the starting, how you let out the clutch ect... The way I am use to doing it is let my clutch out slowly with my revs high and then drop it when the gate drops but there always seems to be a some bikes who aren’t faster than me but can beat me at the jump. What you guys think is wrong with my style? I haven't had time to ask my pro racing friends yet so I don't want to sound like an idiot talking to them about it...

Thanks for any help you give.
Ben#16

03-02-2002, 02:41 PM
i take off in 2nd gear. also practice your starts alot. it helps to practice on different terrain to get used to anything.

03-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Some peple start in 2nd, but if your clutch is stock don't. Don't shift into gear untill 5 secs. before the gate drops, if you shift early your clutch will heat up. If you have traction sit far up on the seat, if you don't sit farthere back. When I shift I hold the front brakes and let out the clutch so the backend starts to wind up (it helps to get a better launch). Then when the gate drops let go of the brake and ease out the clutch so not to stall, but not too slow.

breaks-alot
03-03-2002, 03:42 PM
my400ex: THANKS A TON! I didn't know about that clutch heating up, it makes perfect sence to me now. I bet that was my biggest problum i was sitting at the line for like 40 sec reving with my clucth pulled in alot. I have to get my bike back together and try that when it warms up.

Thanks again,
Ben#16

Tommy 17
03-03-2002, 06:04 PM
what i do... is i go up the the gate i wait till the 15 sec board comes up and i put it into gear then i don't watch the gate... i watch right by the dog house u will see a little bar move b4 the gate falls when u see that bar move u dump the clutch... also what i do is i let the clutch out just till it starts to move... the i hold it there with the brakes... as soon as i see that bar move i dump the clutch, pin the gas, let go of the brakes all in one motion and it works every time... also i start in 1st gear it works better for me...

03-03-2002, 06:16 PM
and never get right up on the gate. you shold be 12-14 in. before the gate. or you might get stuck on it and look really stupid.

chris29
03-03-2002, 07:17 PM
I like to take off in 1st and then hit 2nd as soon as I take off. I slip the clutch a little bit right before the gate drops and just shift throuh the gears like crazy. And oh yeah when your shifting up don't use the clutch. Takes to much time and will help with arm fatigue too. I only use the clutch for down shifting when Im in a race. It won't hurt anything if you don't use the clutch for shifting up either so don't worry.

ChadEXer
03-04-2002, 09:31 AM
I always start in 2nd. I let the clutch out till right before its starts to move and pin it wide open and dump it when its time to go!! I get the holeshot on everybody I race. Banshees, Raptors, R's and everything.... But I mostly drag race in dirt or sand!! That gets the wheels spinning good and launches me out in front every time!!

chris29
03-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Watch the gate and you'll be late, but watch the pin and you'll win!

400MXer
03-05-2002, 03:51 PM
I've got the best method of all...............once the gate drops...vear to one side or the other and wreck everyone!!! it works.

no....jk....what i do is....shift into second a lil' before the gate drops....then i give it between quarter and half throttle. i too watch the pin and not the gate.......(also a little training info, i play with bouncy balls a lot to help with hand eye cordination, lets me get a jump on the competition) then when it drops,,,,i just dump the clutch and hammer on the gas. some places i race at have really soft dirt and not much traction, so i practially sit on my tires so i can get a good launch. then places with clay or just really hard surfaces, i slide close to the gas tank so my tires will spin a lil' and not make me wheelie out of control.

or, you can just throw a nitrous bottle on your bike, no one will ever know!!he he:devil

breaks-alot
03-06-2002, 11:30 AM
The track I’ll be at most of the time has concrete starting. What you guys think I should do for this? Like how should I prep the starting? Should I have my 250lb 6'2 black friend sweep off the concrete? Also I don't care about my tires so you think a little TT warm up would also work?

Or should i be asking whats the lightest nitrous bottle i can buy?lol

Thanks again,
Ben#16

trx400ex
03-06-2002, 01:40 PM
geting your tires hot aint gonna do ***** on a mx track..
why do you need some one that is 62 250 lbs to sweep off a little dirt?:huh

03-06-2002, 01:51 PM
For the concrete start in 1st and get far up on the seat.

chris29
03-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Geting your tires warm does help for the start.

trx400ex
03-06-2002, 03:12 PM
you mean just on the concrete? i would think it would tear the sh*t out of them so that you would end up with treadless tires after a few races ,,,,oh well
edit

i remeber reading some racing thing and it said dont bother spining your tires on the sart ,, they said that it didnt help enough, and the best thing to do was make sure you get all the dirt and sand off so the tires dont break lose as easy

Juggalo
03-06-2002, 03:33 PM
heres what i do to start and its also a great way to fry your clutch (especially a stocker). put the quad in second and have the clutch pulled in (of course) hold the throttle about 3/4's open and as soon as you can go slip the clutch and hammer the throttle. slip the clutch until its all the way out. it'll take some practice but you'll start alot faster. i win the holeshots against my friends fully build 125 dirtbikes all the time. i know traction has a lot to do with it but these guys are awesome racers (one of em is like one of the best in the state and hes gonna go pro this summer) and i can beat em. make sure you practice tho. oh yeah and remember to enjoy the smell of your burning clutch too lol.

305exracer11
03-06-2002, 06:32 PM
were in ne ohio do race? im from ne ohio too. i race at broken spokes and scenic highlands and others.

breaks-alot
03-07-2002, 11:21 AM
I'm going to be doing only 2 tracks this year. I'm only 15 so my dad won't drive me far away for racing. The track i have been talking about is in P.A its called Pymatuning Holeshot Raceway. The other one is in Dorset ohio (in the sticks) its called Dirtworld.

beerock
03-07-2002, 12:21 PM
ya waiting for the 15second card to come out is good, I used to count 5 seconds then put it in gear and then count down like a rocket is about to take off.

Usually when I use to race dirbikes I would keep my rpms up(half throttle) and when it seemed like the gate would drop any second I would rev my motor higher and then when the gate dropped I would pop the clutch out and gradually slide back on the seat until I was over the rear fender. I use to get great hole shots.

you can watch the pin or the gate.

if your good you can watch the gate instead of looking over at the side of the starting area.

I use to watch the gate, right when I would see it move down I dropped the clutch.
it worked for me.

I ve been reading alot of racing stuff lately, I gotta get my arens frame and laeger swingarm and go to a couple races this season!

xtrememxrider
03-08-2002, 07:23 AM
Hey breakes alot what class do you ride in? Pymatuming is one of the tracks that my girlfriend her brother and I race at. What # are you? My girl friends brother Arzie Hall Jr finished 4th overall for last season os his Banshee. This year hes racing the 2 stroke class. Youll see him there but I wont bee starting till late this season. Im still woking on my quad. Im wiating to get a new frame and to get it built stronger. Im getting it powdercoated purple with white maier race cut plastic and a Purple seat cover. Right now my engine is in the shop getting a 440 kit port polish and barnett dirt digger clutches. Im getting my battery moved op front cause I have alot of problems with it in the mud. Im also waiting for my leager swing arm lsr axle lsr steering stem protaper bars lsr +2 a-arms and tcs tripple rate suspension. When I get that Ill be racing but till then Ill just be watching. Maby Ill see ya there.