PDA

View Full Version : dragging a yfz 450

cb2910
02-22-2004, 06:19 PM
I got to hook up against a yfz 450 today. The yfz 450 had been jetted, k&n filter and had an alba pipe on it. The 450r has all the hrc kit in it except the cam. The 450r was close and won one time with my friend riding it. I didnt do so well with it. I couldnt keep the front end down. The last time I stood it all the way up and the bike went over on its side. I managed to break the grab bar and destroyed the taillight. Im sure thats going to be cheap to replace.
For the most part the drags with my friend riding it were all pretty close.
I think with an aftermarket pipe and the cam its going to be all up to the rider.
Its going into the shop wed to get the cam put in. Im trying to decide which pipe. Im thinking about a tc pipe.

Sportrax10
02-22-2004, 06:24 PM
TC pipes are LOUD!!!

cb2910
02-22-2004, 06:27 PM
I mean a ct pipe.

Berry
02-22-2004, 06:57 PM
those are loud too

4fiddyR
02-22-2004, 07:40 PM
ct and tc are high rpm pipes! If your just trial riding, and drag racing it I'd get a sparks, Yoshi, Baldwin , big gun, white brothers. or something like that if you want a full pipe.

MIA450R
02-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Hmmm....so after reading your whole post, you dont have the HRC cam in. Wouldn't the jetting be all wrong if you had the HRC jetting, but not the HRC cam to go along with it?

I would think you would do much better against that YFZ when the HRC cam is in as well....let us know...

jf265
02-22-2004, 09:34 PM
It seems to run fine with the jetting in it from the hrc kit. I went ahead and put it in becuase I wouldnt have time to put it in next week. So when I go pick it up from the shop she will be ready to go.
It sounds like the sparks pipe is out. I might look into that. I need to have it ready to go to little sahara at the end of march. I would like to be able to win one once in a while against the yfzs down there.

JWhite
02-23-2004, 06:33 AM
If you can't control your front end yet then we'll not call your drags good ones.

Practice your starts. FULL throttle, dump the clutch but then continue to feather it a little JUST ENOUGH TO KEEP THE FRONT END DOWN (NO MORE UP THAN AROUND 4"). As soon as you have enough momentum to keep it down no more feathering. Powershift (yes we use the clutch...shift in the "meat" of the power) through the gears!

Then look back and see your victim.

The first 50 feet in a drag decide the race most of the time.

450ex
02-23-2004, 01:42 PM
i practice my 450r with a yfz daily

i have a full sparks jetting k&n no lid

he has a full sparks k&n no lid jetting cam mod

we are so back and forth

its all about who gets out first

they run dead even no matter who is on which bike