PDA

View Full Version : need help with Z

dannyboy20
02-22-2004, 05:41 PM
My cousin has a Z400 and ever time we go riding it will start to act up. It will run bad and constantly stall. He thinks there is water getting in the fuel somehow but were still puzzled. Anyone have any ideas ????

elliptic
02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Has he ever done any mods to it? If not drain the gas tank and put in new gas, if he thinks it got water in it. Try some High octane gas. Check the air filter. Make sure nothings been disconneted (i.e. hoses or wires).

02-22-2004, 07:00 PM
If hes done any mods like a new pipe or silencer he may have not rejetted it. The different amounts of air and gas from the new pipe will make it want to stall.

dads400ex
02-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Also make sure that the vaccum line to the fuel valve is on and not pinched. The fuel valves on the Z's work off of vaccum to make the fuel flow and if it does not have vaccum it can not keep up with the motors demand for fuel.
Might also try running it on res. for a bit to see if that stops the problem, as the reserve is a gravity feed. Just do not forget to go back to the on position so you do not run out of fuel :eek2:

jbfoco
02-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Make sure the choke isnt on

sprocket226
02-22-2004, 09:37 PM
check to make sure the vent hose from the gas cap isn't plugged. Mine got plugged where it sticks into the panel with the key and lights (what-ever it's called)

dannyboy20
02-22-2004, 09:49 PM
ok his quad is completely stock. He has drained the gas and used 93. But i will have him try and run it on reserve for a while. Today he got it home by running it on half choke but it kept dying on him. Air filter is clean also.

tp300ex
02-23-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by dannyboy20
. . Today he got it home by running it on half choke but it kept dying on him. Air filter is clean also.

IF U RUN IT WITH THE CHOKE ON IT MAKES IT STALL

dannyboy20
02-23-2004, 09:58 AM
he had to run it with the chocke to get it home. It was stalling more without the choke.

Shawn H
02-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Than your not getting enough fuel to the engine and when its on choke your adding more fuel. Maybe you got some dirt in the carb or you got dirt in the fuel valve on gas tank.

Derno24
02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Did anyone think that maybe the sensor for the clutch could be the problem. Mine got dirty and is located by the stock choke mount. It kept dying till I cut the wires and tied them together. May be this may be not. Just thinking outside the box.

Steve-O
02-24-2004, 11:47 PM
sounds like the choke is stuck on
Take a 14mm open end wrench where the cable goes into the carb,, pull it out lube everything then reinstall.

riverex
02-25-2004, 08:29 AM
A buddy of mine just got a new z He had for about 2 weeks and it started to do what your explaining. Instead of messing with it he took it to the dealer (warranty). He sad he put it on its side once. the dealer said that sand some how got in the carburator from the choke cable. the cable bent a little when tip it on his side. the dealer cleaned the carb and put a new chocke cable on and it ran fine. All under warranty.

4TraxRider
02-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Definately look at the choke cable, mine seized up after the frist two weeks I had it. Pull it out and clean it, and make sure you vaccum line is attached. Your symptoms seem very much like the line pulled off, I can almost bet thats it.