PDA

View Full Version : engine gurus please read

honda250xrider
02-22-2004, 05:38 PM
i have a question. i have a honda 250x and i can't seem to get it started, i took the sidecase off and replaced the stator box and thats not the problem.... I found a chip on the flywheel on the magnetic. It makes spark but i was wondering having that chip on the flywheel could that send the timing off on the spark by any chance and cause the vavles to open at the wrong time. Some how the vavles are opening to soon and letting the air back out before it iginites. the vavles are new, mechanic just checked it out and everything seems to be good in the head. So this is the only thing i am going on now is the flywheel. If anyone could help me out i would glady appreicate it

turnandburn
02-22-2004, 05:46 PM
:huh :huh the flywheel bieng chipped wont effect vavle timing,check your timing marks on the flywheel and the cam,sounds like its off a bit.on the flywheel there is a t for top dead and the cam gear has two line they have to be parrele with the head. to check you will have to take out the plugs on the left side of the case and the valve cover.

honda250xrider
02-22-2004, 05:59 PM
the timing is perfect, i cant understand why its doing this at all..... mechanic said everything in the head checks out fine. The stator is fine also, i was just questioning about the flywheel, but I was also thinking could my springs not be able to hold the amount of pressure and let it out back the intake before it can combust?

honda250xrider
02-22-2004, 06:02 PM
i can kick it about 6-7 times and then it will sound like it fires. It seems that it gets enough gas and air in there to combust after about 6-7 kicks. I can stick my hand on the intake side and turn it over and it pushes my hand back off of the intake before it sparks? i dunno if i made sense here or not

BSTURDIVANT
02-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Sounds like cam timing is off or valves too tight!
Check to see if flywheel key is sheered- you'll think your at TDC but actually way off!

rap169
02-23-2004, 12:36 AM
try the decompression cable. If its adjusted wrong it wont fire. Mine had this problem after i rebuilt the engine. After i figured it out it started right up. Just a thought

Dunlap
02-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Take the grey and grey with a black stripe wire that goes to your reverse switch and splice them together. If you took your reverse wire off this is the problem. If thats not it then in your wireing harness a few inches back from your coil there is a transister blowen and you will need to take it out and wire it together.If you need more help give me a call and I will walk you throught it.

honda250xrider
02-23-2004, 01:37 PM
thanks mickey, i think you may be right........ i did take the reverse wires totally out of there this may be the reason ill hook it back up and give it a try.

Dunlap
02-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Yep thats your problem:)

honda250xrider
02-23-2004, 02:26 PM
mickey thanks alot, it started right up after i put the wires back on. i've been looking for this answer for over a year now and you have been the only one to give me this answer thanks!

Dunlap
02-23-2004, 03:42 PM
:D